We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

Glazer Delmar

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageNunhead Cemetery Closed this morning 10/09/20
Posted by Renata Hamvas September 10, 08:13AM

Nunhead Cemetery is closed this morning for a funeral

--------------------
Cllr Renata Hamvas
Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward
Renata.Hamvas@southwark.gov.uk

Ward Surgery
4th Thursday of each month (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

messageRe: Nunhead Cemetery Closed this morning 10/09/20
Posted by KidKruger September 10, 09:34AM

Heads for the heads-up Renata.
Do you know where, centrally (Council, FoNC), we can see these events listed which will close the cemetery ?
Being funerals they're booked in advance by at least a day you'd expect.
Last week NC was closed and I wondered how I could get advance notice so as not to make unnecessary journeys there.
[fonc.org.uk] doesn't seem to show them.

We'd need: location/site, status:will be closed, date, from/to times, additional specific relevant notes.

Posted by bob September 11, 01:49PM

Can anyone tell me why Brenchley garden cemetery has been closed to visitors since lockdown Bob S

Posted by Penguin68 September 11, 01:57PM

If you mean Camberwell New Cemetery I believe it is because it houses a working crematorium - which is continuously in operation - the other cemeteries are also closed during burials.

Despite the new restrictions I believe it would be possible to open it again to those wishing to visit family graves etc. but since there is so much green space locally (including Brenchley Gardens and Camberwell Old Cemetery as well as Peckham Rye) I don't think those just wanting to access the cemetery for exercise etc. are left wanting for recreation areas.

However, any opportunity to reduce our lives and freedoms shouldn't be (and isn't being) overlooked.

Posted by alice September 11, 02:51PM

Bob - open when ive been.

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly September 11, 09:46PM

Is it normal to close whole cemeteries for a single funeral? I've always thought they were open to the public in daylight. (Gen¨ine question).

Posted by Penguin68 September 12, 08:36AM

Is it normal to close whole cemeteries for a single funeral?

Yes, in Southwark following the Covid-19 lockdown. Initially Southwark closed all its cemeteries willy-nilly, but later opened them for socially distanced use, but determined to close them during any funeral so as to maintain safe numbers coming together. Other London boroughs chose similar, but not necessarily identical, schemes. This was, and is, probably unnecessarily cautious. In normal times cemeteries are open for funerals, as these are seen as 'public' events.

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly September 12, 02:48PM

Ahh, okay, thank you. It seems a little bid odd to me (I was sitting in a park earlier today that had multiple parties and picnics happening, as well as the usual strollers and runners - is that, in epidemiological terms, much different from funerals at a cemetery?) but it's hardly the worst inconvenience of Covid so not worth me grumbling more

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum