Nunhead Cemetery Closed this morning 10/09/20

Heads for the heads-up Renata.

Do you know where, centrally (Council, FoNC), we can see these events listed which will close the cemetery ?

Being funerals they're booked in advance by at least a day you'd expect.

Last week NC was closed and I wondered how I could get advance notice so as not to make unnecessary journeys there.

https://fonc.org.uk doesn't seem to show them.

We'd need: location/site, status:will be closed, date, from/to times, additional specific relevant notes.

If you mean Camberwell New Cemetery I believe it is because it houses a working crematorium - which is continuously in operation - the other cemeteries are also closed during burials.

Despite the new restrictions I believe it would be possible to open it again to those wishing to visit family graves etc. but since there is so much green space locally (including Brenchley Gardens and Camberwell Old Cemetery as well as Peckham Rye) I don't think those just wanting to access the cemetery for exercise etc. are left wanting for recreation areas.

However, any opportunity to reduce our lives and freedoms shouldn't be (and isn't being) overlooked.

Is it normal to close whole cemeteries for a single funeral?

Yes, in Southwark following the Covid-19 lockdown. Initially Southwark closed all its cemeteries willy-nilly, but later opened them for socially distanced use, but determined to close them during any funeral so as to maintain safe numbers coming together. Other London boroughs chose similar, but not necessarily identical, schemes. This was, and is, probably unnecessarily cautious. In normal times cemeteries are open for funerals, as these are seen as 'public' events.

Ahh, okay, thank you. It seems a little bid odd to me (I was sitting in a park earlier today that had multiple parties and picnics happening, as well as the usual strollers and runners - is that, in epidemiological terms, much different from funerals at a cemetery?) but it's hardly the worst inconvenience of Covid so not worth me grumbling more

• 2 weeks later...

Renata - Nunhead Cemetery has been closed twice that I know if in the last week or so.

It would be really handy to know when these closures are planned for.

Funerals are not ad-hoc events, they require planning and a scheduled date/time.

If the Council know to close the cemetery, isn't there a way of advising users of the space too ?

There is a page on Southwark's website for Nunhead Cemetery:

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/parks-and-open-spaces/parks/nunhead-cemetery

"Cemetery closure for funerals

The cemetery will be closed when funerals are taking place to help make the area safer for grieving family and friends, at an incredibly difficult time. Please note that some closures for funerals may be at short notice; we appreciate your patience and understanding."

...but no funeral is at such short notice that it can't be actually arranged and scheduled - and wardens of the park not informed to close the gates.

ETA: I have emailed same to Southwark's Cemetery & Crematoria department.

I have emailed Southwark and received a reply that funerals sometimes are short notice.

My reply has been that we don't need a great deal of notice, on the Nunhead Cemetery page of Southwark's website, when the COUNCIL determine there will be a funeral, just SOME notice.

Not a week's notice, not 3 days notice, not even necessarily a day's notice - just advise us when they come to know themselves.

That way most of us will have a chance to spot it by checking the webpage before setting-off.

Sounds simple. Perhaps it's too simple.