More cycle storage on Whateley Road

Would anyone else like another Cyclehoop hangar on Whateley Road? Either because you would use it (we're in a first floor flat with narrow stairs - heave-ho) or because you would simply support the idea of one? I know of two more people already in need of the storage, but Southwark are more likely to act if there is strong support from those around us. I'm happy to fill out the form and contact the council on our behalf. I like a deadline, so I'm going to send a form in the first week of October. Please send me a message if this would help you, and spread the word.

Here's a link to some info: https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/cycle-parking-guide/

Hi all - sorry to be a buzzkill, but if you search for cycle storage on here you'll see a few posts of members who have had their bikes nicked from them at the beginning of lockdown. There was a spate of people breaking them open then cutting through locks. My friend who uses one has also had a few emails about his reminding people that they need to lock them when closing the hatch....

I am likewise desperate to keep my bike somewhere, as I am in a first floor flat with stairs by the front door. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into!

If it helps, I have bought a cover for my bike (memorably named a 'bike bra') that does a good job of keeping my carpets clean! Not perfect, but an option whilst you wait or storage/consider their security.

It's always a risk when you use a bike, that some bugger will find a way to nick it. I don't have the option of storing mine indoors - it either goes up steep narrow stairs, through the flat then down steep and slippery stairs out the back, or storage needs to be on the street. For myself, I'm still prepared to at least approach the council, and use the best locks that I can afford.

Your message is a good reminder to double lock and cover your bike.

At the very least, a request will underline to Southwark that there are plenty of people who want to use their bikes, and if nothing else, it supports their aim of making the roads more bike-friendly. And you never know, Whateley Road might get another hangar - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think that although there are safety concerns with the hangers or any on street storage, if you don't have anywhere else to keep them and its a risk you're willing to take, they're still a good option. Important to recognise though that you should definitely add the best possible locks and not rely on the hanger locks.