Canavans Pool Hall is closing

Statement from Canavans on Facebook

This is terrible news from a venue that defines the cultural character of the area in my opinion. It?s been a key contributor to its success.

Hi Folks

It is with great sadness that I have to announce the closure of Canavan's peckham pool club. With no help from the government and after having talks with the landladies they are refusing to reduce the rent until the virus is dealt with. I can not afford to pay three months rent in advance in this situation. After pay my rent evry quarter on time for the past ten years this is a very hard pil to swallow but such is life. for the my staffs jobs and the future of the club I have loved I had to ask.

As you know we are a night time club and only get busy after 10.00pm there is no way I can survive.

I want to thank everyone who made Canavan's the world famous venue it became. From the famous to the yet to be famous who put on some fantastic events and members, guests and visitors, Thank you all. to all my staff who stud by me when times got rough, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I will close my door at 10.00pm on the 25th of September 2020

Kieran Canavan

Greedy landlords or people who are also needing an income too?

An example of this being a friend who has been forced to sofa surf as their only source of income (their tenant)has not been paying rent due to Covid

The assumption being that as landlord they have heaps of cash

Very sad for Canavans also. The financial impact of Covid is hitting hard and will be worse during the winter when businesses try to survive without the initial government support