Theft from bike shed Underhill Road

JDR

Hi

Just a warning that our locked bike shed was bust last night and one bike stolen. 2 others were lined up but not taken as my husband was up early to go for a bike ride.... My brand new birthday present!

Reported to the police but please be aware

Thats so annoying am sorry to hear that.

The Stolen bikes in London facebook page recommends the following if not already done:

1. Log it on findthatbike.co.uk and on bikeregister.com Mark as stolen and include the frame number if you know it.

2. Tweet and Instagram post with @stolenride

3. Set up alerts on findthatbike which covers gumtree, ebay and Preloved, then set up separate alerts on shpock.

4. You can also see bikes for sale in London area on bikeshd.co.uk

5. Report it to the police via 101 crime form online. Let them know if you see it for sale, arrange to buy it then ask them to come with you to recover it. They don't always have the resources, but sometimes they do this. Good luck!

In terms of bike shed security - its difficult because the advantage of having them accessible to use also means that they are accessible to steal, and more secure sheds might indicate more valuable bikes, but adding additional security like a ground anchor and locking the bikes with a motorcycle chain when inside the shed might help to make them less easy to take?

Thanks for replies - had gone to work so not seen them. I didn?t really deal with it as was getting showered as heading to work so need to find out more from my husband. It?s a wooden one with sliding doors at the front. Sounds like they hit a few places so lock them up tighter I guess. Upsetting but no one hurt- I work in NHS so work has given me some perspective!

I think the steel sheds from ASGARD are a better bet. They are not cheap but saves hassle of theft. Screwfix used to do one at a substantial reduction but not last time I looked but worth checking.

Also I advise registering your bikes on bike register-which is free and you can upload a photo. This increases chance of getting them back. Also any potential purchaser can check if bike listed to vendor!!

I was trying to get the Met Police/TfL bike lot but they seemed to have disappeared

Here's general advice from Met about bike theft.

They may well be non Gumtree which is very lax as far as I am concerned. I'd big up eBay but they own Gumtree.....

It was a fake identity so they probably change accounts regularly. The police took a lot of convincing I knew it was 100% my bike. Right colour, special edition Brompton and I'd changed the saddle and grips. Shpock keep the seller identity secret so the police said they put a crime request in to them (never heard back with a result of this). I also contacted Shpock as a matter of urgency. Someone replied a few months later but I was so fed up by lack of action by anyone I'd given up. My home insurance paid out very quickly.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It was a fake identity so they probably change

> accounts regularly. The police took a lot of

> convincing I knew it was 100% my bike. Right

> colour, special edition Brompton and I'd changed

> the saddle and grips. Shpock keep the seller

> identity secret so the police said they put a

> crime request in to them (never heard back with a

> result of this). I also contacted Shpock as a

> matter of urgency. Someone replied a few months

> later but I was so fed up by lack of action by

> anyone I'd given up. My home insurance paid out

> very quickly.

You could have tried to buy the bike (though not sure how safe that would be).

Taken a lot of large threatening looking people with you when you went to collect it?

I'm only half joking .....

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

My name's Cam and I'm a student journalist writing an article about Bike theft in Southwark. I was wondering if I might be able to speak to you about your experience and the response of the police? I sent off an FOI request on this and found out that not a single bike stolen in Southwark last year was returned to its owners (including those registered with BikeRegister)! Please let me know if you would be happy to talk. Thanks, C

We had a nice kids bike nicked a few years ago, having briefly left it on the street outside. It was naughty teenagers, who ended up throwing it through a garden hedge a few streets away following an altercation with some locals. I put up a poster and low and behold some kind person contacted me to tell me about the fate of the bike. When I went to pick it up at the cop shop found that the police had recorded it as the wrong colour. Not a scientific study but a good/bad example of why bikes may not be reunited with their owners. None of my adult bikes have ever been reunited with me. There was a thread ten years ago about my last theft, that ended up the same evening on Gumtree, but the police were not resourced to take action. Very frustrating. Do you want to hear more? It was taken from Northumberland Avenue, they cropped the lock, back of a van, onto Gumtree. Very difficult to get anyone to share CCTV.