We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageTheft from bike shed Underhill Road
Posted by JDR October 07, 07:03AM

Hi

Just a warning that our locked bike shed was bust last night and one bike stolen. 2 others were lined up but not taken as my husband was up early to go for a bike ride.... My brand new birthday present!

Reported to the police but please be aware

messageRe: Theft from bike shed Underhill Road
Posted by northernmonkey October 07, 08:55AM

Thats so annoying am sorry to hear that.

The Stolen bikes in London facebook page recommends the following if not already done:

1. Log it on findthatbike.co.uk and on bikeregister.com Mark as stolen and include the frame number if you know it.

2. Tweet and Instagram post with @stolenride

3. Set up alerts on findthatbike which covers gumtree, ebay and Preloved, then set up separate alerts on shpock.

4. You can also see bikes for sale in London area on bikeshd.co.uk

5. Report it to the police via 101 crime form online. Let them know if you see it for sale, arrange to buy it then ask them to come with you to recover it. They don't always have the resources, but sometimes they do this. Good luck!

In terms of bike shed security - its difficult because the advantage of having them accessible to use also means that they are accessible to steal, and more secure sheds might indicate more valuable bikes, but adding additional security like a ground anchor and locking the bikes with a motorcycle chain when inside the shed might help to make them less easy to take?

Posted by jimbo1964 October 07, 09:01AM

Sorry to hear this. I had some stolen this year and know the feeling too well.

Could you tell us what sort of bike shed it is? I'm thinking about getting one but not 100% convinced of their security.

Are your bikes insured?

Posted by bobbsy October 07, 09:24AM

Hello, also very sorry to hear.

Could you say if the shed was in the front yard or the back yard?

Posted by JDR October 07, 05:46PM

Thanks for replies - had gone to work so not seen them. I didnít really deal with it as was getting showered as heading to work so need to find out more from my husband. Itís a wooden one with sliding doors at the front. Sounds like they hit a few places so lock them up tighter I guess. Upsetting but no one hurt- I work in NHS so work has given me some perspective!

Posted by jimbo1964 October 07, 06:21PM

Hopefully the thieves will need a bit of NHS treatment at some point.

Posted by peckhamside October 09, 10:39AM

I think the steel sheds from ASGARD are a better bet. They are not cheap but saves hassle of theft. Screwfix used to do one at a substantial reduction but not last time I looked but worth checking.
Also I advise registering your bikes on bike register-which is free and you can upload a photo. This increases chance of getting them back. Also any potential purchaser can check if bike listed to vendor!!

Posted by jimbo1964 October 09, 11:26AM

Make sure all bikes are insured. In my experience the chances of getting one back Is pretty slim.

Posted by malumbu October 09, 04:10PM

I was trying to get the Met Police/TfL bike lot but they seemed to have disappeared
Here's general advice from Met about bike theft.

They may well be non Gumtree which is very lax as far as I am concerned. I'd big up eBay but they own Gumtree.....

Posted by jimbo1964 October 13, 10:54AM

My bike was for sale on Shpock. The police did bugger-all except provide a crime number.

Posted by mlteenie October 13, 11:21AM

Horrible and exasperating. Sorry about that.
Care to share the seller's name on shpock?

Posted by jimbo1964 October 13, 01:10PM

It was a fake identity so they probably change accounts regularly. The police took a lot of convincing I knew it was 100% my bike. Right colour, special edition Brompton and I'd changed the saddle and grips. Shpock keep the seller identity secret so the police said they put a crime request in to them (never heard back with a result of this). I also contacted Shpock as a matter of urgency. Someone replied a few months later but I was so fed up by lack of action by anyone I'd given up. My home insurance paid out very quickly.

Posted by Sue October 13, 03:27PM

jimbo1964 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a fake identity so they probably change
> accounts regularly. The police took a lot of
> convincing I knew it was 100% my bike. Right
> colour, special edition Brompton and I'd changed
> the saddle and grips. Shpock keep the seller
> identity secret so the police said they put a
> crime request in to them (never heard back with a
> result of this). I also contacted Shpock as a
> matter of urgency. Someone replied a few months
> later but I was so fed up by lack of action by
> anyone I'd given up. My home insurance paid out
> very quickly.

You could have tried to buy the bike (though not sure how safe that would be).

Taken a lot of large threatening looking people with you when you went to collect it?

I'm only half joking .....

Posted by jimbo1964 October 13, 05:29PM

I'd have gone with the police. But they were too concerned about accusing someone of stealing. They couldn't seem to comprehend I'd recognise my own bike. It was at the height of lockdown too and I think the police were already swamped.

Posted by ianr October 13, 05:34PM

Did you know the bike's frame number? A match on that would have scuppered any doubts.

Posted by jimbo1964 October 16, 11:14AM

Yes. But the onus was all on me to contact the seller, pretend to buy it and hope that then the police would come with me. By then the insurance had paid out so not really worth taking the risk.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum