House Renovation and Barriers in Road

There?s a house being renovated on the lower end of Landells Road. For a while now the residents have deemed it okay to block off a parking space outside the house with barriers.

There is rarely a trades van parked there but it seems the owners feel entitled to reserved parking on a street that is not marked bays or residents, and is already heavily congested and short of parking spaces.

Correct me if I?m wrong, but if one wants to reserve a space for building works, deliveries, skips etc... then you can apply to the council for a parking suspension. Instead these homeowners seem to feel the rules don?t apply to them and that they own the space outside their house. Their builders regularly turn up speeding at over 30mph on a 20 road, and practically abandon their van blocking the road - they?re not even using the ?reserved? space.

Anyone any idea who can be contacted at the council to make a complaint about these selfish home owners?

Hi,

I believe these are my neighbours. I explained about the thread this morning, so the barriers have been moved. They were unaware of the parking issues on the street, as they haven?t lived here yet(people having two cars is the major issue). They didn?t want to block the road for deliveries, but will do so going forward. They haven?t put out any bins since they bought the place three weeks ago. I did, several times during lockdown under the guidance of the council due to a delayed disabled bay. I did tell people I was waiting for the bay, but it didn?t deter them moving the bins. The bay has now been installed, so no more bins. Do feel free to knock on if you have issues.

Thanks for bringing it to their attention.

I would suggest there is rarely a need to block the road for deliveries. Sometimes it?s unavoidable and that?s fair enough. Perhaps it would be sensible for them to put a barrier out to save a space on days they are expecting significant deliveries? This would be far preferable to reserving a space 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

As you say, parking is limited. Neighbours should be considerate of this and each other and work together rather than taking action to selfishly save their own space.

I am glad you were able to get the disabled bay installed. I doubt everyone on the street was aware this was why your bins were out.

I left a note on the bins explaining and told people I found moving them about the bay.

I do think talking to each other in real life is the way forward, as I would happily have explained my actions regarding the bins. I am sure my new neighbour doesn?t feel particularly welcomed by this thread.

The barriers have been moved and I am sure he will be mindful of this going forward.

While excessive use of bins is hardly going to make you popular, there really is no alternative on busy streets when you're expecting a skip, removal van or heavy deliveries. The council will not give you official permission to block a space unless it's a suspendable bay or you're a utility. That's another privilege people in the CPZ get.