Peckham Rye flood alleviation proposals

AshbySE22

Hi all,

There was a consultation back in 2018 for the proposed flood alleviation works in Peckham Rye which include new below ground drainage, bunds to the NW corner (Peckham Rye/East Dulwich Road), the 'Donley Ride' area to be 'developed' and the Norther Triangle section to be re-landscaped.

The proposals have now been put forward to the Planning Inspectorate to approve the application and the information will be available until the 16th November.

There have been some amendments since the original consultation but on the whole I understand why these works are being undertaken and just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the proposals? There are no details of when the works are likely to commence and how long they are anticipated to take which would be useful to know.

Thanks,

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/lost-peck/

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/environment/flood-risk-management/notice-of-proposed-flood-alleviation-works-on-peckham-rye-common

I think all the proposals are a good idea. The number of times the EDR junctions severely flood in winter from water run and drains that can not cope is all the evidence needed to see that something needs to happen. Perhaps some kind of underground storm drain through the park down to the sewer would help too.

I've been told various possibly contradictory things about the lost River Peck.

One: that its course is actually lost -- and this seems quite likely since the common is very low-lying and (as everyone knows) very boggy in the winter despite new land drains a few years ago ie the Peck just seeps through the whole area

Two: that it runs under the manhole at the junction of Scylla Road and the east side of Peckham Rye.

Certainly there is a lot of subsidence on the east side of the road going south on the east side of the Rye. Every time I cycle up there I wonder what is causing the non-park side of the road to subside.

What I would really like to see is the Peck restored and made a natural feature of the Common. That may not be possible and lots of boggy bits may be the nearest we can get. Flooding is only going to increase and solutions to slow down the water and persuade it into underground aquifers will be better for all of us (and the wildlife whom we share the planet with)

Would?ve been 100% up for supporting this suggestion, glad to see they?re putting some plans into action. Let?s hope they still put part of this into action, at this time of year that section from ED road to Nunhead Lane spends half the week underwater.

The paddling pool was closed and filled in about 20 years ago. It was contaminated and the contamination was found to be coming from an underground spring.

It's the patch of wild flowers near where the road for the car park comes in, just north of the pedestrian only path.

Keep the rivet underground. Like it or not, a small minority of residents and visitors are actively hostile to beauty and nature, as can be witnessed with the litter and BBQ burning we have (the latter in summer only, granted). A made-to-resurface babbling brook sounds pretty (but a bit Marie Antoinette to me) though it?s bound to get abused.

• 3 months later...

legalalien Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is on the planning committee agenda for 22

> Feb, committee being asked to approve the release

> of local s106 funding to allow the project to

> proceed.

> So sounds as though things are moving along.

>

> http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDispl

> ay.aspx?id=500000059. There?s some background info

> about the consultation and a map.

Your link takes me through to a petition to make the closure of rye Lane permanent 😱

• 10 months later...