Is East Dulwich really this Straight?

I have lived in East Dulwich now for nearly six months but I am yet to really explore it. I am surprised that there is not at least one gay bar in East Dulwich considering the amount of straight venues there are on Lordship Lane. I am not against going into straight pubs but it would be nice to have a meeting place away from the gay ghettos of Soho and Vauxhall. There is surely enough gay/lesbian people in the area to have a gay bar.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Straight bars/Gay bars music venues boutiques

> three wheeled prams yummies ARGHHHHHHHHHH

>

> HELP ME!!!

I know.. great, innit?!

ED is dead. Long live ED!

"Welcome to the unrealistic and fictional land of ED circa 2007... unlike anywhere else in the UK, it manages to sustain a community of ex claphamites who were forced out of the slightly plusher areas of west London, and a whole host of overpriced independent boutiques and coffee shops which most people up and down the land wouldnt bother wasting their money in.. " God it was all a dream... wipes brow.. :))

I wonder if the rest of the UK could have a day in ED or one of her newly aquired step sister towns like Clapham or Fulham, and see how these people live... I imagine they would be laughing their heads off.. I cant imagine a yummy walking up and down Huddersfield popping into gregs to buy half a dozen chelsea buns and a sausage roll can you?

In the last few months I have been to

Sheffield

Cork (rural and city)

Devon

And I can honestly say that life there is pretty much as in ED - new bars, over priced gift shops, coffee-shop this, organic-that

So I don't think ED is some outpost the rest of the country would find odd...

But whether you lived somewhere all your life or not, if it's making you that unhappy, surely you'd move......

I'm not saying you should move Louisa, but interested to know if you've considered it?

To echo Sean in one of the other overlapping complaint threads, it's not East Dulwich that's changed, it's the whole bloomin' country. For ED read Letchworth, Brighton, Beverly; I bet you even Cleethorpes has coffee shops and maybe even a Tex Mex these days.

If louisa wants traditional victorian values I believe children in indentured work, polio and cholera is still quite popular in India.