Tips for children in the Summer

This is a great idea Fushia - I would add

The Livesey Museum on the old Kent Road - fantastic hands on museum

Crystal Palace one o'clock club - this has a morning and an afternoon session rather than just lunchtime. - this is really well organised with lovely activities for little ones.

Several litres of Lidle Own brand cola

2 Kg of Lidle Paprike crisps

12 hours of non stop kiddies DVDs ( you can now get 5 for ?10 from the chinese pirate DVD sellers on Peckham rye lane if you haggle )

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Several litres of Lidle Own brand cola

>

> 2 Kg of Lidle Paprike crisps

>

> 12 hours of non stop kiddies DVDs ( you can now

> get 5 for ?10 from the chinese pirate DVD sellers

> on Peckham rye lane if you haggle )

Go and trash another thread, please

Fuchsia, lighten up. He was joking. It was funny. It wasn't cuddly nor was it wuddly, but it was still humorous. He doesn't eat babies or set fire to hedgehogs. He or she just likes to mix it up a bit. Let him/her be. Nero

OH dear - a hornets nest of anti snork sentiment.

Lidl aside, the Counterfeit DVDs are a fantastic bargain and as well as providing hours of wholesome family entertainment, you also fund world terrorism, drug smuggling and arms dealing apparently.

not a bad days work really

Definately Dulwich Park, hire them a bike, keeps them occupied for an hour (and wears them out!!).

Further afield Christmas Tree Farm nr Downe, Bromley way is good for an afternoon. Cheap and cheerful, the kids love feeding the snimals.

Also on a wet day going up to the museums in London is good, especially the Science museum, lots of hands on things to do. Train from East Dulwich station (no steps, soooo much better than slogging the buggy up all those at Peckham Rye), train to London Bridge, which has lifts to the tube. Only steps then are at South Ken station.

Museum of childhood in Bethnal Green is good too, but lots of stairs and no lifts on the tube line!

Sydenham Wells Park is just fab - they have replaced the paddling pools with these tarmac thingies where the children jump on big coloured tarmac buttons and water shoots out of the ground. It is great in the sunshine for keeping them cool (my son cut his foot in Brockwell Park paddling pool a couple of years ago as you could not see the broken glass in the water!) and also great on an overcast day in their welly boots with their little umbrellas. My pair love that park. There are steep hills for scootering down and lovely swings and roundabouts and things in a quiet area at the top. There are really imaginative play frames too.

Telegraph Hill park is amazing too, and well worth the trip. It was apparently designed by the same people. It has a great big slide built into a hill, where the children walk to the top of the hill to get onto it, instead of up steps. It has a very good one oclock club, and great play frames. I think that those two parks are just amazing.

The dinosaur park in Crystal Palace is always great for a walk about too.

DM

I like a nice mooch round Borough market. kids like sampling free stuff !

South Bank should have loads going on as is all reopening.

Somerset House has the fountains on- excellent (and free) when hot.

Lambeth Country show always good fun- last weekend of July I think.

Oh and the Lido of course-get the bus as parking can be a nightmare.

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Docklands Museum has a good kiddie area too,

> and you can travel on the DLR.

Everyone loves the DLR. Even adults (me).

Work out some way to go via London City Airport and you can even watch the plaes take off and land!