New Healthy Takeaway?

Hi Everyone..

A friend of mine is looking into expanding his food delivery service across parts of London, with one posible area being East Dulwich. As I live close to the area, he has asked my opinions on his idea of expanding here..

An outline of the company : a delivery service which prepares fresh, healthy (and mostly organic) restaurant quality meals and delivers them straight to you home.

I've told him I think it would be good for the area, but was wondering whether anyone here had any other opinions? Does anybody know of any similar restaurants already in the area? Do you think its a good/bad idea? Any suggestions would be truely appreciated..

Kind Regards.

Thomas.

Hi Thomas

I certainly think there is a decent sized market for the kind of food you friend is looking into but unless I'm behind the times (always a possibility) are there many established delivery services operating anywhere for this kind of food?

I think one of the reasons pizza/curry deliveries do so well is the fact it's appealing to a different mindset (not different market necessarily) - sometimes we just want that tasty fix

When it comes to organic, healthy food the whole point is knowing where the ingredients come from, how they were cooked and how they were served - ie something that is done personally, at home - so I would imagine that the demand for other people to deliver same would be less.

But as I say I could be wrong and there may be a burgeoning market in this area already - I'm just offering an honest caveat

I do know that there appears to be a lot of demand for a good-quality vegetarian restaurant in the area on the other hand...

Hi SeanMacGabhann,

I really appreciate your reply, thank you for your comments.. Its certainly something for me to think about.

I suppose the main answer depends upon what the food is like? (as in, does it taste as good as a takeaway). Even though a normal takeaway meal can be unhealthy, the good taste makes it very appealing.

So if the food were to taste as good (if not better) as a standard delivery, it could be a good idea..

Im sure the vegetarian meals are something that could be added to this type of restaurants menu (if they're not already on it).

Once again, thank you for your help and honesty!

Kind Regards.

Thomas.

Hi TillieTrotter,

I really appreciate your reply, thank you for your comments..

Yes, I agree that the prices of the food would definatly play an important part on the idea. I guess, as long as they are not over priced (close to the prices of 'normal' takeaway meals) then this could work out.. I will try to find out some more information regarding food types and prices.

Once again, thank you very much for your help!

Kind Regards.

Thomas.

Hi Thomas, I couldn't quite get the style of the food; is it organic european cookery, or organic curry/chinese?

If organic is to be the mainstay I would definitely make it totally organic, I think that if there was confusion then people would just assume that it wasn't organic.

Any restaurant that supplies delivery european food would be a massive supplier chez huguenot! I always wondered why there are so few of these: there were loads in Beijing!!

Hello Huguenot,

I really appreciate your reply, thank you for your comments..

I believe the food on the menu would be a variety of salads, pasta dishes, meat and fish dishes, (maybe the occasion healthy version of traditional 'fast food' meal eg:burger/pizza) but as I say, all will be healthy.. I am unsure whether all of the items are organic (I will need to find out) if not, i'm guessing it would clearly state on the menu whether it is organic..

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards.

Thomas.

Thomas surely wins the award for most polite poster this year?

But you have fleshed out the idea a bit more in my head and I would certainly be curious to see what happens. I just hate to give any kind of "yeah open up a business it's not my money" advice in case the business struggles for whatever reason

But good luck

I think Ed is crying out for a vegetarian healthy organic resturant.There is a resturant in Selhurst called peppercorn who are vegetarian and i hear very good.We have many food places here but a healthy choice will be a great idea.

good luck

yes. And im not telling you wot street I live on/in either

Brixton isnt as far away as you think - although Im sure many of EDs upwardly mobile inmates like to think of the colourful gun n crack filled streets of Brix as being another world

I do think it's a great idea... I often get home from work late, and just don't have the inclination to go to the effort of cooking something decent (let alone going out to buy fresh veg, etc). And it's always a problem, trying to figure out which takeaway or restaurant is least harmful to my health.

The pricing is the key - I probably wouldn't use it if it was over ?15 a head. I know they're not going to compete directly with the curry/chinese places on prices, but I think it needs to be in the same "ballpark" for people to consider it as an option.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I shall try them.

> Though I suspect you live on t'other side of ED to

> me and may be a bit too far. Sniff.

I'se on the eastern side of ED , but not too far east - in fact, pretty much central. Thats doesnt help does it ?

I assume it would be the same sort of thing as Deliverance (www.deliverance.co.uk)..? which is a fantastic idea and i would certainly place a (probably not infrequent) order. It's always bugged me that they and their kind deliver all over the SW postcodes, but not so keen on SE

That said, they may have good reason (that goes beyond mere postcode snobbery), and that's that the market might not be there. However, I, and I would say 5 other local households of my acquaintance, would certainly welcome it.

snorky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'se on the eastern side of ED , but not too far

> east - in fact, pretty much central. Thats doesnt

> help does it ?

As i suspected. I is 'westside' ("ur, ur, yo" etc)

ok, ok.. I admit it. I'm East. I just wanted to say 'westside'.

To be exact, I'm 3.2 miles from Brixton station (according to AA). Which might put me .2 over the Fuji-limit.

How many miles is everyone else from Brixton station? Isn't this fun?!

Thomas,

In all seriousness, I would totally use this provided:

i. I could pay by card over the phone and not have to worry about cash

ii. there would be some way I could call up and say "I fancy something with fish" and be told what was on offer (i.e. not have to read off a menu which I am unlikely to have in a cab/bus on the way home)

iii. you'd deliver until 11pm

Price also important...

Do you really have a 'friend' or is this actually you?

Badger