Fusion gym at Dulwich Leisure Centre

Guest James

Is it just me or is this gym going from bad to worse? At ?40 a month it's hardly cheap for a council gym, but I am frequently & unnecessarily kept waiting by disinterested & inept staff at the reception desk (bar one or two who are cheerful and efficient). The equipment is tired and often broken and the male changing room is 3rd world.

I am currently a member at Fusion and I have to say if distance was not a consideration then I would definitely go to JAGS. Yesterday at the Fusion gym 5 out of 5 headphone sockets available on the running machines were broken. The TV's are not tuned in properly (and haven't been for about a year). The one and only water machine dribbles out water. The floor area by the weights machine is roped off. Oh, and you can't hear your own music when there's that aerobics session going on (Monday night I think). Apart from that it suffices.

Anyway, does anyone know what the squash courts at JAGS are like? Are they busy at peak times?

[edited 06 November]

Thanks for the tip about JAGS. Went in to Fusion the other day and realised that the weights area is roped off because the FLOOR IS COLLAPSING! Also noticed that they are increasing their fees - ridiculous! I would complain to Southwark council but to be honest they are such a load of totally inept, useless idiots (who do not even reply to their emails) so what would be the point? If this were France they would be storming the place. Unfortunately we are British so we (myself included) just put up with it and hand over our cash.

It is a terrible place, the faulty towers of fitness. I once tried to go to a yoga class there - all of the staff were so rude and disinterested. No one knew where the class was supposed to be so we were left being directed down miles of corridors to a studio that had been squatted by the pilates group, whose teacher came out to scold me and shushed away back to reception. The yoga teacher then turned up half an hour late saying we'd be in the attic room which is a bit mouldy. When one of her pupils complained that it was a bit musty as the carpet was mouldy, the teacher said yes isn't it terrible and that it was the people in her classes fault as they should have complained to the council?! All this for ?10 a pop! I thought yoga was supposed to relax you?

I am heartened that I'm not the only one who finds DCL an absolute waste of money. What really frustrates me is that the pool could be a great selling factor if it was ever open to the public for more than two hours a day and clean and warm.

I don't think that the council will do much so perhaps the best thing to do is convince someone like Dragons or Holmes Place to build a gym in East Dulwich (I used to be a member of the Dragons in Muswell Hill and the facilities were way better than DCL and only marginally more expensive). I'm sure that there would be demand for a better (though admittidly private) gym if we made the case.

• 3 weeks later...
I am so pleased to read all your messages! I had a terrible experience with the staff at my induction 2 weeks ago that I have been battling for a refund every since. I haven't even used the facilities but was treated so badly I never want to set foot in the place again! I have complained to Southwark Council and my MP but my complaints are probably falling on deaf ears! I joined Fusion as it is so close to my work but hadn't even thought of JAGs- even though I walk past it on the way home every day! Thanks for the tip!

Free at last! Just cancelled my membership and it feels good. Decided to take the plunge and join a gym in Holborn, near where I work. Plan is to go during lunchtimes... we'll see if my willpower holds out. I would urge everyone to vote with their feet & do the same, so these idiots can't keep taking our money in exchange for a travesty of a gym. JAGS one sounds good.

• Administrator
It would be good to know if any of the local gyms have any New Year promotions going on, so if you know of any please do post them on here. We did try and ask JAGS if they've any forthcoming promotions (as people on this forum are liking them) but they thought we were selling something and said "we're not interested". Anyway in the interest of the health (and the pockets) of the people of East Dulwich please do share with us any money saving new years fitness benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been using Fusion for about 2 months now and find it ok just for that quick workout and its convenient to get to. Although saying this, if there was another gym e.g. Holmes place, I would deffo prefer to use that. The equipment is outdated and the staff couldnt care less about anything. Hardly any of the headphone sockets work on the runners. Have noticed that one of the runners and cross trainers tend to move from side to side when on then. Have heard about JAGS and meant to be very good but unfortunately it is a bit of a mission to get to for me.

I was a member at JAGS for 18 months or so (never used it in the last 9 - but thats more indicative of my approach to health and fitness rather than a reflection of the facilities!).

JAGS is really good value for money compared to private gyms - joint membership for 2 is only ?59 a month. The fitness centre has plenty of modern machines and a really cool electronic points system to keep track of your progress.

Staff were a bit funny sometimes, and the changing facilities are pretty grim. Pool is lovely but usually full of screaming kids, so not the place for a quiet swim on the weekend.

They were happy to give us a guided tour before we signed up - but you have to call in advance.

I'm a member of jags. We had to wait a while due to a waiting list but it was worth it. Squash courts are fine (a couple of dead boards but as good as any leisure centre I've played in). Pool is great - re: the comment earlier about kids, they have dedicated kids sessions so if you pick your time you can normally avoid them. I swam the other Saturday morning and shared the pool with only 4 others - luxury! Haven't tried the tennis courts yet but they look good, and the gym has no free weights but I don't really plan to use it much anyway as I have a gym in town I use at lunchtimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Allow me. They will be sending out letters this week to Fusion members informing them of the situation i.e. the roof was damaged and they haven't started work on it yet. In the meantime they suggest use the Waverly Gym or Peckham Pulse (whose pool opens on April). They will freeze February's direct debit for members.

That's what I was told on the phone today when I phoned them to find out.

I'm a member of JAGS but did have a look around Hamlets as well. If you want to be a member mainly for the gym then I'd suggest Hamlets as it's much larger. If you want access to a range of facilities (tennis,squash,5-a-side etc) including a fabulous pool then JAGS is the ticket.

I am a member of the Dulwich leisure centre but whilst it is closed I have been using the Harris Sports Centre on Homestall road (top of Peckham Rye Park). The gym is small but well equiped, the studio is brilliant for classes and you can play badminton as well. They also have a few clubs running down there, I have just joined the Volleyball Club.

• 3 weeks later...