friern school upper

I think Friern School existed at the same time as Honor Oak Grammar - my understanding from a couple of ex-collegues, who were about my age (i.e. did O-levels in late 1970's) was that Friern School was the non-grammer school, for girls who didn't go to Honor Oak. But there must be people still around East Dulwich who can confirm that.

My first teacher there was Mrs Bridges...and for maths I had Ms Stuart (beanpole). Mr Cook was the demented music teacher who had a passion for the cat o nine tails grrrrr......

Ms Hopkins for biology who would get very red and flustered when talking about the "birds and bees"...and the new biology teacher Ms Lunt who had the unfortunate surname which with a bit of "flowery writing" could be something quite different!!!!!

Ms Hopkins the needlework teacher 4ft tall and very fierce (was that her name)?????

OH and the stream and all those jumps!!!!!!and falling in !!!!

AND smoking in the shrubbery

How I hated school!!!!!!!!

Oh yes - jumping the stream! and walking under the tunnel to the park, if you felt brave enough. Needlework teachers name was Hudgins I think.... someone in our year locked her in the needlework room cupboard - I think we all copped punishment for that one. I had Mrs. Lunt too. Remember Stuart and Bridges. Also Mrs Allsop. Only thing I liked about school was the social aspect, and listening to the transistor radio hidden under my desk on a Tuesday when the new charts came out!!

Mrs Bridges and Ms Stuart and her matching diminutive partner Ms Moody .

The kilts and the start rite fringed loafers !

Name of needlework teacher ? Yes ,fierce hardly comes close .

I remember screams of " Get the quick unpick ! " and her hurling tins of pins across the room because they were brass and not steel.Was it Hutchinson ???

Honor Oak School for Girls from 1969 to 1976. I was in the last year intake as a grammer School

Somehow Miss Stuart & Miss Powell persuaded me to do double maths A levels! Favorite teacher had to be Mrs Allsop for geography - We studied N America for A level & she was always bringing in her slides of her holidays there - all seemed very exotic at the time! And that neddlework teacher was evil - gave my best friend Marion an order mark for smiling.

I remember when we were in yr 3 we had Mrs Pack for our form tutor...I think she had a nervous breakdown poor thing.....and upstairs for german I think we had Mrs Pixner??????We tied the door handles up with our tights so she couldnt get in!!!!

"WAS IST DAS?????!!!! LOL

ANYONE REMEMBER MISS COYNE (MATHS TEACHER)???? AND MISS SANDERSON (MATHS)? OLD COYNE WAS A BITCH, FOREVER YELLING AT EVERYONE, EVEN THE OTHER TEACHERS WERE AFRAID OF HER. SHE ONCE SLAPPED A GIRL IN CLASS AND THE GIRL SLAPPED HER BACK!!

I was at Honor Oak when it was a Grammar School early sixties, after I left it joined up with Frien.

One of my memories is playing netball or tennis in those loverly grounds, and there being several men in raincoats along the fence watching us, we thought it was a great laugh, the Teachers never called the Police or even told them to go away!! My how things have changed!!

We played Tennis with Wilsons Boys Grammar school, I think they thought as they were Grammar boys we would be safe!! Little did they know!! it was the boys who wern't safe!! What fun!!

Miss Hutchins was the needlework teacher, she was a terror, but I still remember the things she taught me!! I can make a suit!

Does anyone remember Mrs Ward the History Teacher, she wore Chanel suits, married to a local Chemist, studied History in Italy, was the most amazing Teacher, Miss Wilson for Maths another teacher who was so frightening. Mrs Clark, English Teacher,

Madame Harris taught French and Russian, wore a lot of chiffon, and when my Daughter went to Prendergast School in the 70's there she was again! and did not look any older.

Remember the music house,were the poor girls would have violin lessons at lunch time, I had to have elocution lessons, I think Miss Gibbs thought they could remove my very south London accent!!

Freddy we must have been there at the same time .

I remember Mrs Ward . Have been trying to recall her name ,so thank you.

I remember how we were all entranced ,waiting to see which suit she would wear the next day. She seemed to have a never ending supply - all very similar but different colours.

I also remember her being horrified that no one ( or maybe only 1 or 2 ) was applying for university and if it hadn't been for her I and several of my friends wouldn't have gone on to HE .

Mrs. Wilkie taught German,think she must have had heart problems, her lips were always purple / blue.

What was the name of the Domestic Science teacher ? And the Biology teacher ?

I was fond of Miss Moody ( didn't she teach the wrong syallabus for RE one year ? )and Miss Stewart. Oh and Miss Kelly taught English.

and there was one teacher who was engaged but her fiance became a monk .Bit of a conversation stopper she said.

And Miss Gibbs barred me from taking Maths O level - waste of the entrance fee she said .

Yep! I remember miss Hogarth...and thanks it was Mrs wilkie who taught german LOl got her name wrong!!!! Mr Jenkins taught us maths...and Ms cook and Ms Richardson art and pottery!!!!

Ms Tyler insisted that we play hockey in the snow grrrrr

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Miss Corkindale and Miss Wheeler - remember them

> well!

Didn't Miss Wheeler play netball for England? I remember going to Wembley indoor arena to see a match - all those girls screaming!! we were deaf when we went home!!