rubish rubish

bob

"Dear" DulwichMum

I would have an Au Pair - if I had kids. To be honest, I would prefer a nanny. I wouldn't want them doing jobs like that though, I believe if I make a mess I should clean it up.

My Mum however, will not back this up.

Dear Dany,

You are right. A nanny however is incredibly expensive, and I suppose they should be, because they do the most difficult job ever - in my opinion. I have never worked so hard in my life as when I was at home with the children full-time.

We have a lovely au pair, and she doesn't take out the bins either, my husband does it.

I believe nanny's actually have to tutor and teach as well?

I would love to stay at home and bring up my children. I would prefer it to work. It's a no contest really. Going to the bus stop and standing with miserable East Dulwich people (who never smile) OR walking the kids to the local school followed by 6 hours of daytime TV and a possible afternoon nap.

Dear Dany,

I am afraid I never heard of the tutoring business you describe - that would be ideal. There is actually no professional register at all for nannies, and therefor no set minimum qualifications.

I had an idylic idea of what raising children would be like, and like yourself imagined lolling about at home a lot, and arranging cushions on the sofa while watching Richard and Judy, but it actually turned our to be terribly hard. I ran back to work! Just getting them to school age (never mind out the door to school of a morning) is so difficult I could just cry at times. I thought I loved babies, but now I realise, I really just love it when they are cheekey and a little bit more independent. God it is hard work, and I have so much respect for stay at home parents - it certainly is not an easy job.

I like smiling at miserable people in the street, I do it all the time - try it, it really shocks them. I don't see that many misery guts on Lordship Lane though, I must admit. Come to the Village - now that is a different story!

Dulwichmum

Point taken - but I still feel screaming from the kids is more managable than screaming from the boss - now that makes me cry!

I used to try and smile but gave up after people started giving me odd looks. Dulwich Village is a bit better, more of a neighbourly feeling there like the countryside villages.

Well that is what I envisage married life to be. Well married life before kids.

I don't believe in womanising or "having a bit on the side" and stuff like that. Neither do I believe in sex before marriage but thats another story...