Forum Sponsors

http://www.elwyns.com/

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 74
messageRe: ED Nature Watch
Posted by BrandNewGuy 02 May, 2017 17:55

... And there's going to be a dawn chorus walk on Green Dale fields on Sunday from 4.30am :-) I'll post full details in 'What's On...' tomorrow.

Posted by Jenny1 06 May, 2017 09:32

Think I just heard a swift. Did I dream it, or are they back?

Posted by Jenny1 06 May, 2017 10:18

Definite swift sighting. Five wheeling low over Mr Liu Chinese Restaurant! I guess the cloud cover brings them down. They ARE back. Will set the official 'return of swifts to ED 2017' date as May 6th - unless anyone can report an earlier sighting.

Posted by uncleglen 06 May, 2017 12:32

goldfinches in my garden eating the seeds from the dandelion clocks that I've been remiss in removing- and may very well let them grow now (however, if the goldfinches eat the seeds there won't be many dandelions ...). The clever birds push the stalk down with their foot and then eat the seeds and the fluffy bit blows away

Posted by BrandNewGuy 06 May, 2017 13:39

Jenny1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Definite swift sighting. Five wheeling low over Mr
> Liu Chinese Restaurant! I guess the cloud cover
> brings them down. They ARE back. Will set the
> official 'return of swifts to ED 2017' date as May
> 6th - unless anyone can report an earlier
> sighting.

Yes indeed :-) Just heard their 'scream' near Dulwich Hospital. Here are the return dates as reported here for the last seven years:

2011 May 9
2012 May 1
2013 May 17
2014 May 8
2015 May 9
2016 May 4
2017 - May 6

I checked the weather for 2013 and it turns out there were persistent cold northerlies throughout the end of April and early May, which must have held them back. Not unlike the last couple of weeks this year, but it's great to have them back.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 07 May, 2017 10:31

Had an enjoyable dawn chorus walk around Green Dale fields this morning. Many thanks to all who came and listened. We heard and/or saw robin, blackbird, wren, great tit, blue tit, goldfinch, chiffchaff, blackcap, song thrush, mistle thrush, carrion crow, herring gull, greenfinch, wood pigeon, dunnock, ring-necked parakeet, magpie, house sparrow and possibly more, though I'm rather tired...

Posted by sjsl 07 May, 2017 10:42

Listened to BBC R4 Dawn Chorus last night, a lovely idea... I was also delighted to see the swifts were back yesterday, especially reading the article in the Guardian that said London hadn't had them for ten years [www.theguardian.com]

Posted by BrandNewGuy 07 May, 2017 10:47

Yes, I don't know where he got that idea from. Their numbers are down, but they're not out...

Posted by Sue 07 May, 2017 12:41

Sorry to miss your dawn chorus walk, BNG.

We did one last year in Horniman Gardens, but afraid this year bed won big grin

Posted by BrandNewGuy 26 May, 2017 18:45

Just seen a peregrine falcon flying over ED station heading Peckham-wards. Watch out,lazy pigeons :-)

Posted by Jenny1 27 May, 2017 09:48

That's very interesting BrandNewGuy. Do you see many peregrine falcons in the area?

I meant to say thank you very much for collating the dates of the arrival of the swifts. It astonishes me how punctual they are. I suppose they must be sensitive to day length? Though some of their wintering grounds won't have much yearly variation in hours of daylight. But I believe some migrate from as far as South Africa? Almost unbelievable. I understand it was a great conundrum to Victorian naturalists as to where they went in the winter.

As to what people say about reduced numbers. Yes - I've noticed that too. Let's just hope the decline can be reversed. Is lack of nesting sites the main problem? The loss of the old hospital onion towers probably removed one site.

Posted by Lynne 27 May, 2017 12:15

A bat flying low last night

Posted by Nigello 28 May, 2017 11:15

Where was the bat? I have yet to see one anywhere in and around SE22/15/21 but would love to.

Posted by Lynne 28 May, 2017 11:38

The bat was very low, swooping along the gardens between Worlingham and Crawthew and was there for some time

Posted by Lynne 28 May, 2017 16:14

A goldfinch and two robins this afternoon.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 29 May, 2017 11:57

Jenny1 Wrote:
> That's very interesting BrandNewGuy. Do you see
> many peregrine falcons in the area?
I see about one or two a month. With at least 40 pairs breeding in Greater London, there are increasing numbers of young peregrines which tend to wander and will eventually find territories. I've regularly seen recently fledged birds practising their flying skills from the Salvation Army college tower on Denmark Hill and from the top of the old church spire on the South Circular by Cox's Walk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2017:05:29:12:07:30 by BrandNewGuy.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 29 May, 2017 12:03

Nigello Wrote:
> Where was the bat? I have yet to see one anywhere
> in and around SE22/15/21 but would love to.

During a 'bat walk' around Dog Kennel Hill Wood and Green Dale last autumn, three different bats were seen and/or detected pipistrelle, soprano pipistrelle and noctule. There are plenty of bats around in ED but they tend to stick to travelling familiar tree lines and wooded areas to feed they're not keen on flying across open spaces and they tend to avoid brightly lit places, even though those places attract numerous moths etc. You can also see them around the wooded parts of Peckham Rye Park and all along our local railway embankments.

Posted by edhistory 29 May, 2017 15:25

Do they roost near Railway Rise?

Posted by BrandNewGuy 29 May, 2017 16:28

edhistory Wrote:
> Do they roost near Railway Rise?

Possibly. There was some talk of bat roosts when the garden centre planning app was being considered, but I don't think any evidence of such was presented.

Posted by Applespider 30 May, 2017 20:25

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> I've regularly seen recently fledged birds
> practising their flying skills from the Salvation
> Army college tower on Denmark Hill and from the
> top of the old church spire on the South Circular
> by Cox's Walk.

I can see the latter from my living room window. I now have a pair of binoculars by the window in the hope that I might just catch sight of them one evening. I knew about the ones at Denmark Hill but hadn't realised I had such nearby neighbours! Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted by BrandNewGuy 30 May, 2017 22:15

The best time to look will be late June and into July after the youngsters leave the nest.

Posted by uncleglen 31 May, 2017 22:59

Stag Beetle...

Posted by BrandNewGuy 01 June, 2017 00:09

Yeah, they've been out and about for the last week or so around here. It's quite unnerving when one flies near you they fly like those hulking great military transporter planes. Nationally they're rare, so we should take care of our local population rotting wood and stumps are great for the larvae to feed on.

Posted by edhistory 01 June, 2017 09:58

BrandNewGuy Wrote:
> Yeah, they've been out and about for the last week
> or so around here. It's quite unnerving when one
> flies near you they fly like those hulking great
> military transporter planes. Nationally they're
> rare, so we should take care of our local
> population rotting wood and stumps are great for
> the larvae to feed on.

Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Protected species.

The DHFC planning application needs to be re-written?

Posted by BrandNewGuy 01 June, 2017 12:26

Well, the council are looking at doing further ecological survey work on Green Dale there are certainly lots of stag beetle larvae among the poplar stumps and old wood on Green Dale in the patch just the other side of the fence from the Abbotswood Rd / Green Dale path. Ditto the probable bat roosts in the trees along the side of Green Dale backing onto the current stadium.

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 01 June, 2017 18:04

Saw a total of five stag beetles in flight while out for a pre-bed walk last night. Corner of Burbage and Stradella Roads seems to be a hotspot.

Posted by Nigello 13 June, 2017 12:22

First butterfly in SE22 - red admiral or peacock, I think - two days ago.

Posted by Reg Smeeton 17 June, 2017 10:02

Very active robins and great tits in the garden for the last fortnight. Anyone know where I can buy bird seed locally (don't want to trek to Sainsburys if I can avoid it).

Posted by Jenny1 18 June, 2017 12:00

Sorry - not sure on the birdseed. But just a reminder to everyone to put water out for the birds - particularly important in the hot weather.

Posted by Nigello 18 June, 2017 14:19

Just about to post that: sparrows - the hardiest of bird, surely - were taking sips from water in a plant pot (which I will now change as it must have been there some time).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 74

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum