Forum Sponsors

www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk
xxxx
http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.no-flies.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 73
messageRe: ED Nature Watch
Posted by Sue 12 October, 2017 09:16

Ah, thanks, that's good to hear!

Posted by Jenny1 12 October, 2017 19:07

I keep disturbing frogs trying to hunker down for hibernation - stressful for all concerned. Just have to be ultra cautious when moving anything I guess.

Posted by Lynne 12 October, 2017 20:57

Can anyone recommend a pigeon proof bird feeder? The two who hang round my garden are as ft as chickens and I would like our wren and the great-tits to get a share. I've tried one of those sort of double wire affairs, but they seem to be able to poke their heads through and get the seed

Posted by red devil 16 October, 2017 18:47

Where is your feeder, on a bird table?
If so, get a feeder you can suspend, say under the table using a hook, or from a branch in a tree/bush. Pigeons aren't agile enough to access this type of feeder, doesn't mean they won't loiter underneath waiting for scraps to fall down though...smiling smiley

Posted by moondancer 20 October, 2017 23:03

Heron, flopping over Hindmans Road this morning at 9.50, heading west
and
a crane fly ? in the bathroom,
but with a long body and streamlined -

Posted by moondancer 22 October, 2017 13:13

Has anyone else read and devoured the article in the Guardian of the insect Ecosystem breaking down?
With the links and comments, it is time consuming, dismaying and confirmation of why so few butterflies,
moths, insects and small birds are to be seen in our gardens, or anywhere.

Posted by Nigello 22 October, 2017 14:00

Could have something to do with people driving too much and concreting over their front gardens to install their cars, thereby reducing the amount of greenery available to host insects (and do other beneficial stuff). Like many things, each of us can help change it for the better but there's also an excuse, eh?

Posted by moondancer 22 October, 2017 17:03

This cannot be a
butterfly and bird friendly area,
apart from magpies, crows and crazy parakeets
Supine as we are beneath a flight path

Posted by Nigello 22 October, 2017 17:41

It is pretty friendly - even to the extent that kingfisher have been seen in Rye Park, various raptors in people's gardens, stag beetles and hummingbird butterflies, enough bees for several people in the area to make honey. Small gardens help on their own but they also provide a kind of corridor, so when people cement over in a row, or even every few houses, it can make a dent. I'd say SE21/22/15/23 are well served tree/park-wise but more could help.

Posted by Sue 22 October, 2017 18:01

Nigello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could have something to do with people driving too
> much and concreting over their front gardens to
> install their cars, thereby reducing the amount of
> greenery available to host insects (and do other
> beneficial stuff). Like many things, each of us
> can help change it for the better but there's also
> an excuse, eh?

Many people are also concreting/paving/decking their back gardens.

There is usually at least one thread on this forum offering topsoil sad smiley

I have a paved garden myself, which I inherited from the previous owner - it is very tiny though and it would be an absolute pain to have to keep a mower to mow such a tiny patch of grass.

I have been gradually removing paving stones to increase the number of plants I can cram in, however I am a bit worried I will end up with just a few stepping stones amongst a tiny jungle big grin

However, sad as the loss of urban plantlife is, I think the main cause of the problem is the commercial/agricultural use of pesticides. They don't just kill the pests that attack the crops in question, they kill other insects as well, and that has a knock-on effect on the things which eat those insects, or did do.

But there are loads more birds round here than magpies, crows and parakeets - blackbirds, sparrows, blue tits, great tits, goldfinches, wrens, sparrowhawks, seagulls, robins, pigeons, collared doves, probably loads more but I have seen all those in my garden.

Plus jays and magpies I have seen elsewhere, and woodpeckers I have heard. And long tailed tits I vaguely remember seeing in the woods, though I may be confusing that with another wood elsewhere.

Fair number of butterflies too, but I don't have any plants at the moment which specifically attract them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2017:10:22:21:23:28 by Sue.

Posted by Jenny1 19 November, 2017 11:31

Beautiful bird song in the garden this morning. I'm not good enough at identifying song to know which birds responsible! But really heartening. My neighbour is a great reader and told me about the Thomas Hood 'November' poem some years ago - 'No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds, November!'. Wish Thomas were alive today to experience this glorious morning!

Posted by Burbage 19 November, 2017 17:54

No ducks, or geese, in the Dulwich Park (Boating) Lake this morning.

Have they been eaten, or is the 'hostile environment' to blame?

Posted by rendelharris 19 November, 2017 19:29

How likely is it to see a kingfisher in Peckham Rye? I've only seen two in years of tramping round the countryside, and Mrs.H is dying to see one. If we stake out the stream would we have a good chance? Definitely prepared to put the hours in!

Posted by BrandNewGuy 20 November, 2017 11:16

You'll be lucky to see one in Peckham Rye, but hop on a bus to Lower Sydenham and do the Riverview Walk to Catford and you'll stand a good chance of seeing them:
[www.lewisham.gov.uk]

Posted by rendelharris 20 November, 2017 11:55

Many thanks - on a cycle route too, perfect!

Posted by Nigello 20 November, 2017 13:28

I saw one in PRP, on the lake island, at least five years ago. Never seen one there - or anywhere else - since.

Posted by johnie 20 November, 2017 14:06

I pick up this route from Ladywell, it's lovely all the way to Sydenham

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 20 November, 2017 18:30

I've seen a kingfisher twice at PR in the Japanese Gardens. First time was before they built the kingfisher bank, second time was late spring this year.

Posted by Sue 20 November, 2017 21:26

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
> I've seen a kingfisher twice at PR in the Japanese
> Gardens. First time was before they built the
> kingfisher bank, second time was late spring this
> year.

GRRRRR I am so jealous.

And never saw one when we did the Riverview walk earlier in the year, either sad smiley

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 22 November, 2017 03:11

Take a Sunday trip to Teston Lock nr Maidstone. Best place I know for kingfishers.

Posted by rendelharris 22 November, 2017 12:11

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
> Take a Sunday trip to Teston Lock nr Maidstone.
> Best place I know for kingfishers.

Cheers, looks great - shall add to list and report back if we have any luck!

Posted by Jenny1 30 November, 2017 11:22

It's snowing! I hope the semi-hibernating frogs are well ensconced somewhere.

Posted by Sue 30 November, 2017 11:23

I thought you were joking, but I just looked out of the window!

Posted by Jenny1 30 November, 2017 11:31

Didn't think we'd get snow today.... looking at the weather map it must to be the tail end of the weather hitting East Anglia.

Posted by pearl1 30 November, 2017 20:18

I think it's interesting that I see tonnes of pied wagtails in Deptford but I've never see one in East Dulwich or Peckham. Bird populations are clearly well confined. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2017:12:01:18:48:42 by pearl1.

Posted by Lynne 04 December, 2017 13:44

Just watched our new neighbour cut down the two apple trees in his garden. They were covered with apples every year and a constant perching place for lots of small birds. I feel quite sad about it

Posted by Sue 04 December, 2017 16:28

sad smiley

Posted by sjsl 13 December, 2017 10:44

There was a flock of birds, about 8, in the garden this morning, looked like thrushes (speckled fronts, brownish, the right size), but do they move in a flock?

messageRe: ED Nature Watchattachment
Posted by BrandNewGuy 13 December, 2017 10:49

Could be redwings or fieldfares, our thrushy winter visitors from Scandinavia which usually travel around in flocks.

Attachments: birds.jpg (206.2KB)  
Posted by sjsl 13 December, 2017 11:16

I was wondering whether they were redwings, had a definate eye stripe...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 73

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum