Forum Sponsors

www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273
Current Page: 73 of 73
messageRe: ED Nature Watch
Posted by BrandNewGuy June 03, 06:30PM

Stag beetles spotted earlier today on Green Dale fields, so they're out and about for the breeding season. They look fierce but are harmless. They're also pretty crap at flying and walking, so if you see one stranded on a pavement or the road, please pick it up and pop it somewhere safe. They're quite comon round here but nationally they're rare. The larvae feed on dead wood (usually below ground), so if you can leave a small woodpile in the corner of the garden to rot down, the stags will be most grateful smiling smiley

Posted by DulwichFox June 03, 07:49PM

I hate Stag Beetles. They are the one creature that REALLY Freaks be out.

Foxy

Posted by BrandNewGuy June 03, 07:56PM

They're pussycats really, Foxy smiling smiley

Posted by Sue June 03, 08:07PM

I had lots of really huge bees in my garden today.

Three came into the kitchen. That was fun big grin

Anybody else seen them?

Posted by Nigello June 03, 08:52PM

The pond at Goodrich School on Dunstans Road has been refilled and revamped. It looks good, if a little bit bloomy from algae (I think). I hope it will attract frogs, toads and even newts.

Posted by Passiflora June 03, 10:46PM

Growing up in the late 1960s and living near the Greendale area I always remember the stag beetles. They seemed to especially love flying around during early evening/dusk during the hot weather. Now and again we used to find one in the garden the next day seemingly lifeless and my Mum would get a stick and help it back into the Greendale lane.

Some of them seemed gigantic to me but my Mum would pick them up etc. and not be worried.

Living not far from the Greendale now and I had stag beetles living at the bottom of my garden up until around 7/8 years ago on some old logs but they have since disappeared.

Good to know they're still surviving!

messageRe: ED Nature Watchattachment
Posted by turtle June 05, 04:28PM

Assume this impressive critter is a stag beetle, he was clinging to my garden wall earlier.

Attachments: IMG_20190605_162512.jpg (368.4KB)  
Posted by louisemurray June 05, 04:41PM

It certainly is.

Posted by AylwardS August 03, 12:53PM

Just had a stroll round Peckham Rye Park and saw 5 painted lady butterflies. I'd been getting jealous of friends facebook posts from elsewhere in the country who'd already seen some of the migration

Posted by Nigello August 04, 09:56AM

There have been jersey tiger moths around these past two weeks, which I would say is very early. Also, spiders - usually linked to autumn in my book (and others') - are plentiful. Could the extra-hot weather have somehow pushed everything forward a bit? (Apples on neighbours' trees look ripe also.)

Posted by BrandNewGuy August 04, 10:35AM

I think the swifts are now on their way back to Africa. It's extraordinary that they only spend about three months here, coming all this way to breed and then return. Amazing birds.

Posted by Sue August 05, 12:44AM

BrandNewGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the swifts are now on their way back to
> Africa.

sad smiley

Already?

Posted by BrandNewGuy August 05, 10:41AM

Yes, they only come here to breed. Extraordinary birds...

"Youngsters are independent as soon as they leave the nest, and set out immediately on migration.
Swifts start their return journey in mid July, before nights become too cool. They canít roost overnight during the journey, like swallows do, so they travel quickly. One young swift that left its UK nest on 31 July, was found in Madrid (Spain) on 3 August."

[www.rspb.org.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273
Current Page: 73 of 73

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum