We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879Next
Current Page: 78 of 79
messageRe: ED Nature Watch
Posted by Asset April 14, 10:07AM

Maybe a chiff chaff? Hear them a lot but don't often see them.

Posted by Sue April 14, 10:25AM

Asset Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe a chiff chaff? Hear them a lot but don't
> often see them.

It was very similar to that, but it had some sparrow like brown markings (not sure how to describe them) here and there.

I have occasionally lately heard birdsong in the garden I didn't recognise. I will look up dunnock and chiffchaff!

Posted by Sue April 14, 10:30AM

I've just looked at some videos and I'm now sure it was a dunnock.

Thanks everyone 🙂

Posted by Jenny1 May 05, 09:59AM

The swifts are back! It was very welcome to hear them this morning.

Posted by louisemurray May 05, 10:11AM

My pond toads are have a second spawning, there are about 6 in there today, and lots of fresh spawn. A lot of calling over the weekend, lovely to hear

Posted by tarafitness May 05, 11:39AM

Saw a black cap the other day, for the first time ever. Was walking around my favourite part of the park - the lovely path near the skate park with the full tree canopy overhead that makes it dark and welcoming to birds. I heard a beautiful song, and then a little brown bird with a black head flew past me and alighted on the branch of a bush. Really lovely.

Haven't heard the swifts yet, looking forward to that.

Posted by malumbu May 05, 07:42PM

More are overwintering here. Have had a pair in the garden - I spoke about this a few weeks ago here as I had problems identifying at first.

Who has stolen by gold finches by the way?

Posted by Lynne May 06, 02:17PM

Several crab spiders in the lilies.Odd looking things

Posted by sjsl May 06, 04:37PM

So delighted swifts are back, haven't seen/heard them yet myself... found a crab spider in our bluebells last week, dining on a bee, rather gruesome.

Posted by Sue May 06, 09:30PM

Lynne Wrote:
> Several crab spiders in the lilies.Odd looking
> things

Never heard of crab spiders before!

Looking forward to seeing the swifts again.

Does anybody have them nesting under their eaves?

Posted by sjsl May 07, 11:10AM

I had to look the crab spider up, hadn't seen one before... I think we may have your goldfinches Malumbu, there's a regular flock around our garden near N Dulwich station.

Posted by malumbu May 07, 01:15PM

I'll be out with my net later. Actually understand they are fickle but a few must still be feeding as feed still goes down.

Posted by yeknomyeknom May 07, 05:14PM

We get baked bean spiders. Weird looking things.

Posted by another annie May 07, 05:28PM

Re your goldfinches, that could be us, Malumbo... a pair have started visiting us in Landcroft Road, I had to look them up in my bird book, very exciting! One hangs on the very floppy branches of a tamarix tree eating the bugs in the cuckoo-spit, while the other sits on the fence keeping watch. Made my day, could we share them...?

Posted by Zig-Zag May 09, 05:48PM

Give your goldfinches some niger seed and your garden will fill with goldfinches. Last year I counted more than 20 at one time in my garden squabbling at the feeder!

Posted by Nigello May 10, 04:57PM

Yesterday and the day before I saw a red dragonfly in my front garden on the same bush. I did not expect to see it because I always associated them with areas with water, like a pond or river. It was about 3 inches long and coral red. It may have been a damselfly. Nice to have!

Posted by Sue May 10, 11:58PM

Zig-Zag Wrote:
> Give your goldfinches some niger seed and your
> garden will fill with goldfinches. Last year I
> counted more than 20 at one time in my garden
> squabbling at the feeder!

Has not worked for me sad smiley

Much Niger seed.

One goldfinch last year (spotted by my partner, not me sad smiley )

Posted by Zig-Zag May 11, 12:57AM

Sorry to hear that Sue. I must have got to them first and bribed them to stay. I'm actually West Dulwich rather than East but this is a far more interesting and active forum!

Posted by Sue May 11, 09:21AM

I do however have a toad!

No idea how it got here!

There have been frogs in the garden for some years, but I've never seen a toad before!

messageRe: ED Nature Watchattachment
Posted by malumbu May 11, 01:28PM

Nyger/niger feeder in garden last June, they were spooked funnily enough when I put a second one up as it confused their routine. At that point there were too many for one feeder. They are also very wary and clear off into the tree when humans are near. The tits must be feeding fledglings at the moment as they are much braver on their feeder. I've got a pair and sure they will be back in numbers. Had to buy sackfuls of feed last year as going through it so quickly.

Also put a tray under the feeder as they are very messy feeders.

Attachments: gold finches.jpg (348.2KB)  
Posted by Sue May 11, 01:29PM

Great photo! Lucky you!

Posted by IlonaM May 11, 07:35PM

My visiting Goldfinches in Underhill seem to like velvety nesting materials as they have been carefully cutting off pieces of one of my silver plants and taking them off!

Posted by sunbob May 11, 08:51PM

I saw a pair of pied wagtails with a young one today. So lovely as I used to see them as a child a few decades ago out in the sticks, but have never seen them up here before!

Posted by Nigello May 12, 12:35PM

Sunbob - where was that.
I saw swifts near to the Dunstans/Underhill x-road yesterday.

Posted by sunbob May 12, 07:26PM

It was near Harris boys.

Posted by seenbeen May 12, 07:49PM

Since the lockdown the window cleaner hasn't been and the webs in the corners of my windows catch flies and the birds have been getting the flies and maybe the spiders too!

Posted by Sue May 12, 07:56PM

One poor spider wove a web in the corner of my kitchen window, but the wind the next day demolished it to a sort of linear web rope sad smiley

I don't know what happened to the spider sad smiley

Posted by tiddles May 13, 09:53AM

I saw a damsonfly the other Nigello a thought it was a small dragonfly TIL I saw your post. Found a tiny toad whilst gardening so left that area alone. Several tits visiting my feeders but some new young feline visitors a bit too interested in these so not so many birds as last year. My favourite nature spot is the walk alongside peckham adventure playground - robins, thrushes and blackbird couples whizzing about that lovely canopy.

Posted by frankiebhoy May 14, 05:49PM

Hi we have a pair of goldfinches in our garden fist time.

Posted by Zig-Zag May 16, 01:31AM

I've never seen so few goldfinches around here as this year. I wonder what is different?

I only have two, whereas most years I see 15-20 during the breeding season

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879Next
Current Page: 78 of 79

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum