We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182Next
Current Page: 80 of 82
messageRe: ED Nature Watch
Posted by kiera May 28, 10:50AM

Not quite right - only female bees sting and they are the ones we are most likely to encounter. Male bees are unable to sting. I believe that applies to all our bee species - honey, bumble and solitary

Posted by Lynne May 28, 11:48AM

Not as bad as a wasp sting, I'm finding

Posted by Penguin68 May 28, 03:38PM

kiera - yes of course all males are stingless (and also you rarely come across them save during a mating flight or in a hive) - I meant stingless species, of which only females have stings (some of the stingless bees do however have painful bites, I believe)

Posted by siousxiesue May 28, 04:01PM

I've just seen some delightful damselflies hovering around the water leak in Greendale. Too quick for a photo but beautifully coloured..

Posted by malumbu May 28, 06:05PM

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> malumbu Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > Funnily enough the only harm from the spikes
> was
> > to me! Karma.
>
>
> Oh dear, hope you weren't too badly harmed,
> malumbu?

Only my pride!

Posted by Sue May 28, 08:55PM

big grin

Posted by Nigello May 28, 09:39PM

SiouxsieSioux - was it a red damselfly, about the length of an adult little finger? Iíve had the small red damselfly in my garden four times - no water source there. [british-dragonflies.org.uk]

Posted by siousxiesue May 29, 03:49PM

Nigello Wrote:
> SiouxsieSioux - was it a red damselfly, about the
> length of an adult little finger? Iíve had the
> small red damselfly in my garden four times - no
> water source there.
> [british-dragonflies.org.uk]
> ed-damselfly/

That was it!

Posted by Sue May 30, 03:27PM

Sue Wrote:
> Sue Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have loads of little tadpoles! So happy!
> >
> > Thanks for the spawn, Lynne! smiling smiley
>
>
>
> My taddies should be getting their back legs now,
> shouldn't they?
>
> No sign yet .......

OK I know I'm getting a bit obsessed ...

Does anybody posting on here have tadpoles with legs yet?

Mine are in an old ceramic Belfast sink. It does have plants and algae, but I'm feeding them a plant based tadpole food which is supposed to be only suitable until they get their first legs. I have some different food for the next stage, when they become carnivorous as well.

I'm worried if I miss the leg arrival, they may start eating each other 😭

Posted by Lynne June 04, 01:45PM

We have great tits nesting in our nesting box for the first time! It's been there for a couple of years, ignored, but obviously the ED housing shortage has made it a des.res.

Posted by Sue June 05, 09:38AM

On our allotment yesterday a bird flew over which we couldn't identify, but on looking it up later we think it might have been a yellowhammer.

Is that possible round here?

We didn't get a very close look but it seemed to be about the size of a blackbird, and was brown with definite flashes of bright yellow.

At least one of my taddies now has legs. I think I wasn't looking in the right place 🙃

Anyway I am now giving them pellets of food for taddies with legs (as I'm not sure how much natural food there is in the sink).

messageRe: ED Nature Watchattachment
Posted by SebsC June 07, 12:15PM

Found this beautiful beetle in our garden today - never seen one before. Having googled, I think itís a Rose Chafer but correct me if Iím wrong. Itís beautiful! Anyone else seen them? Are they fairly common?

Attachments: 5D745623-F289-4975-A06A-992DCEBC21CD.jpeg (95.3KB)  
Posted by ianr June 07, 01:51PM

OTOH, we are told sad smiley ...

"Treating rose chafers is important, not only for the health of your rose and other susceptible ornamentals, but for wildlife too. The rose chafer contains a toxin within its body chemistry that can be deadly to birds, including chickens. The same toxin can be deadly to other small animals when they eat these beetles."
[www.gardeningknowhow.com]

Posted by Peckhampam June 07, 03:11PM

Reminds me of the time I admired the beautiful irridescent beetles on my rosemary bush. It was dead the next day , killed by said beetles.

Posted by Sue June 08, 10:18AM

Peckhampam Wrote:
> Reminds me of the time I admired the beautiful
> irridescent beetles on my rosemary bush. It was
> dead the next day , killed by said beetles.

Lily beetles too are really lovely (bright red) but they and/or their revolting larvae strip the plant in a millisecond.

And as for asparagus beetles, GRRRRRR.

Posted by malumbu June 08, 02:25PM

Despite barriers and disinfectant, and leaving water out, I am still getting night time visits, probably from a fox, to my pond. A small pond plant pot is often removed, quite tidily, and left a short distance away on the grass. Would a fox really do this to get at the pond. curiouser and curiouser.

Posted by first mate June 08, 02:35PM

Set up a camera and then we can all see the results!😀

Posted by malumbu June 08, 10:20PM

Love to but I'd need night vision and wont fund that. But (a) if anyone fancies doing that or (b) a night under the stars in my back garden doing it in person that would be great.

Ironic that there is another thread about feeding foxes. Go over to those gardens please. I'm not a fox hater BTW, just grey squirrels and ring necked parakeets. I managed to push a baby squirrel off the hedge as it is small enough to feed from the bird feeder. Howls of protest go round SE London. Oh and the wood pigeons are a pain, but I do drop them some pellets from time to time.

Saw a mouse last week, said hello, but it cleared off. Really big (the ones we got in the house were much smaller). Fortunately the cats in the area are pretty useless. Much smaller than a rat and not a baby one either.

Posted by malumbu June 10, 01:55PM

No strange overnight events, no poking squirrel with sticks, but very excited to see about 20 swifts over the Horniman this morning. Only had swifts pointed out to me last year and tend to see the odd two or three. Oh and the Great spotted woodpecker having a drink from the pigeons toilet aka the bird bath.

Posted by first mate June 10, 04:24PM

I have had a jay ( garrulus glandalius) visiting - what a stunning creature.

Posted by malumbu June 11, 12:14PM

Yes beautiful creatures. We have the occasional visitor to the garden. The Crows and Magpies were kicking off the other day, crows asserting their dominance and then a jay joined in. A right corvid rumble.

Posted by first mate June 11, 12:30PM

And then the parakeets arrived! And they seem to be, literally, top of the tree.

Posted by malumbu June 11, 01:01PM

There is a squawk off every evening in Nunhead cemetery, one parts crows roosting the other part green squawaky things

Posted by seenbeen June 11, 02:03PM

malumbu Wrote:
> No strange overnight events, no poking squirrel
> with sticks, but very excited to see about 20
> swifts over the Horniman this morning. Only had
> swifts pointed out to me last year and tend to see
> the odd two or three. Oh and the Great spotted
> woodpecker having a drink from the pigeons toilet
> aka the bird bath.

The swift is in trouble apparently
[www.rspb.org.uk]

Posted by alice June 11, 02:22PM

A noisy woodpecker in Peckham park. Is that unusual?

Posted by seenbeen June 11, 02:24PM

There are a few to be heard in Dulwich Woods, and at least one in Ruskin park - so probably not unusual

Posted by malumbu June 11, 03:45PM

Have two woodpeckers that call to the garden.

Interesting about the swifts. Why are we not making nest boxes? I have six spectacularly unsuccessful ones for blue and great tits - great in the first summer but since then.... Something has happened in our area, not sure if the neon lit house puts them off. Worryingly where have all the blue tits gone? - although perhaps they only do invertebrates at this time of the year and aren't hanging around gardens

Swift nest box project for next year [www.rspb.org.uk]

Posted by yeknomyeknom June 11, 07:33PM

We saw a woodpecker in horniman gardens and 3 jays together in peckham rye park.

Posted by Siduhe June 11, 08:27PM

We regularly get woodpeckers, collared doves and jays in our and our neighbour's back gardens - Underhill/Melford/Wood Vale. I think it's quite regional even within ED.

Posted by IlonaM June 11, 10:30PM

I have a pair of greater spotted woodpeckers who regularly come into the garden. One of them was refusing to be intimidated by the parakeets this afternoon and would not give up his spot on a bird feeder!! Very absorbing to watch.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7273747576777879808182Next
Current Page: 80 of 82

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum