Forum Sponsors

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 36 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 07 February, 2011 13:44

Hi

Dont worry about sending these through, however I do expect my staff to be more proactive! This has now been faulted

Barry

Ladygooner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to bother you Barry, but the light is out at
> the bottom of Platform 2. Is there anyone else we
> can email about ED station to save you the
> trouble?

Posted by SMBJones 07 February, 2011 13:45

Hi

LOROL trains will be stopping however the station itself will remian under Southeastern

Barry

Bic Basher Wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> I know Denmark Hill isn't under your remit, but do
> you know if the station's being transferred to
> LOROL or staying with Southeastern in 2012?

Posted by Ladygooner 07 February, 2011 15:00

You can put me on the payroll if you like!

SMBJones Wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dont worry about sending these through, however I
> do expect my staff to be more proactive! This has
> now been faulted
>
> Barry
>
> Ladygooner Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sorry to bother you Barry, but the light is out
> at
> > the bottom of Platform 2. Is there anyone else
> we
> > can email about ED station to save you the
> > trouble?

Posted by Loz 08 February, 2011 00:19

Loz Wrote:
> Barry - I often have to travel out of London by
> train from Paddington. I buy my ticket from the
> machine at East Dulwich. But, when I travel out
> the gates at London Bridge won't accept my ticket
> and I have to get an attendant to let me out. The
> same occurs on the way back at LB. The
> underground accepts my ticket and the gates at
> Paddington accept it, but not London Bridge. Do
> you know why this happens and can it be fixed?

SMBJones Wrote:
> Hi, to get to the route of these issues and deal
> with it, I need to know what code flashes up on
> the gate line when you try to gain entry. Once I
> have the codes (ask the staff if unsure, they will
> see the number on the system) I can look into this
> for you.

Hi Barry,

Finally got round to checking this and the code that comes up is "105".

And if it is any help, it's a Super Off Peak ticket.

Loz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:02:08:00:22:42 by Loz.

Posted by SMBJones 08 February, 2011 14:15

Hi Loz

This makes sense now, any off peak tickets of this kind have a special restriction on them, this is so gate staff can check that passengers are not travelling during peak times, hence them being barred through the gates

Sorry!

Barry

Loz Wrote:
> Loz Wrote:
> -----
> > Barry - I often have to travel out of London by
> > train from Paddington. I buy my ticket from
> the
> > machine at East Dulwich. But, when I travel
> out
> > the gates at London Bridge won't accept my
> ticket
> > and I have to get an attendant to let me out.
> The
> > same occurs on the way back at LB. The
> > underground accepts my ticket and the gates at
> > Paddington accept it, but not London Bridge.
> Do
> > you know why this happens and can it be fixed?
>
> SMBJones Wrote:
> -----
> > Hi, to get to the route of these issues and
> deal
> > with it, I need to know what code flashes up on
> > the gate line when you try to gain entry. Once
> I
> > have the codes (ask the staff if unsure, they
> will
> > see the number on the system) I can look into
> this
> > for you.
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> Finally got round to checking this and the code
> that comes up is "105".
>
> And if it is any help, it's a Super Off Peak
> ticket.
>
> Loz

Posted by Loz 09 February, 2011 00:08

SMBJones Wrote:
> Hi Loz
>
> This makes sense now, any off peak tickets of this
> kind have a special restriction on them, this is
> so gate staff can check that passengers are not
> travelling during peak times, hence them being
> barred through the gates
>
> Sorry!
>
> Barry

But surely the gates know when it is peak times... and would probably examine my ticket in more detail that the gate staff do!

Posted by Tanza 09 February, 2011 22:33

Hello Barry - I know Denmark Hill isn't your remit...but I wondered if you might be able to advise me on behalf of some friends coming to London. They asked me to advise on travel cards, but the TFL/south eastern websites have left me baffled.

I have friends coming for a week to London with four kids 8,9, 10, 12. Can you kindly tell me what the best travel cards would be for them to buy so they can use Denmark Hill or East Dulwich to travel into central London? Travel is free for the under 11s apart from on the South Eastern trains commute, so would I be right to think a pay-as-you-go Oyster card for the little ones would be best to cover them for this leg of the journey, during their week's stay? Is there a child fare for this?

For the 12 year old, I guess he would be best off buying a weekly Oyster travel card, plus applying for a photocard?

Thankyou for any advice

Posted by mikese22 10 February, 2011 06:01

Hi Tanza I'm sure Barry will respond in detail, but as long as they only use Southern or First Capital Connect trains nd avoid the Southeastern ones they should be ok - the platform train indicators at Denmark Hill show the name if the train company so it should be easy enough to avoid the Southeastern trains

Posted by Bic Basher 10 February, 2011 23:12

Barry, just to let you know if you don't already, the Oyster reader on the larger self service ticket machine at ED isn't working.

(I wondered why people were starting to use the smaller card only machine!)

Posted by nic32 11 February, 2011 22:17

You work harder than most. How you do it I do not know. But your customers are very lucky to have you as thier station manager. Well done

Posted by sequinstars 15 February, 2011 18:07

Hi Barry,

Just wondering what's going on with the 09.20 train to Victoria? It seems like it's been delayed by at least 8minutes every day for the last week!

Thanks!

Posted by AllyCat 16 February, 2011 17:56

Hi Barry

Can I ask why the ticket offices at the rail stations are unable to top up your PAYG Oyster cards or let you buy your weekly monthly one (they only do paper tickets) but tiny little news-agents etc can.... it seems quite silly....
At Peckham Rye station in the mornings there is often a queue for the ticket machines - and not much queue at the ticket office window. As Oyster cards are being encouraged it seems odd that you can't top up at the offices...
Thanks

Posted by the-e-dealer 16 February, 2011 20:46

The GLA subsidised the Oyster Readers in the Stations but not equipment to Ticket offices. It all costs money

Posted by Bic Basher 24 February, 2011 22:55

The London Overground managed stations on the other hand, i.e. Forest Hill and Honor Oak Park have Oyster readers at the ticket office as part of their contract with TfL.

Posted by SMBJones 01 March, 2011 15:55

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PASSENGERS USING LONDON BRIDGE STATION THIS WEEKEND
As part of the on-going Shard project, the bus station at London Bridge station will be demolished and rebuilt. The existing canopy roof over the bus station will be removed on each of the four weekends in March.
The first weekend to be affected is this weekend, 5th and 6th March. The work will require a complete closure of the bus station meaning that there will be no vehicular access to the front of the station. During these weekend closures:
• Taxis will relocate outside of the station. If you need a taxi, you will need to make your way to the temporary rank near the London Dungeon attraction at Tooley Street. There will be Marshals in the vicinity who will help you to find the rank if you need assistance.
• Buses will not be able to serve the station while the work is taking place, so services 17, 43, 48, 141, 149, N21 and N343 will pick up and drop off passengers at locations near to the station. For details of where these services will operate from, please click on the link below:

[www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk]

• The footbridge to Guy’s Hospital will also be closed so passengers will need to access the hospital via the Joiner Street tube exit.
• Passengers who require mobility assistance will be able to speak to any member of station staff, or to any of the marshals outside the station to arrange assistance. Please note that there will be no vehicular access to the front of the station, so please use Tooley Street to pick up and drop off those who require mobility assistance. Step free access to the station and platforms is available from Tooley Street via Joiner Street.
During the closures easy to follow signage and extra bus station staff and customer information assistants will be on hand to provide help and information for you.

Lastly, apologies for not responding to some of the postings, I have been extremely busy over the last two weeks, I will ensure that postings etc are answered by this Friday

Many thanks

Barry

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 13 March, 2011 10:00

Is it me, or have some of the earlier trains to LB shrunk? I and a number of others position ourselves further up the platform only to have to trot back down as the expected coaches arent there.

I try for an earlier train to avoid over-crowding only to find that the earlier trains are over-crowded becauses they are shorter.

Posted by Medley 15 March, 2011 13:53

Hi Barry,

Was wondering if any progress had been made on amending the signs at Peckham Rye to show destinations from platform 3 beyond Blackfriars? I think it's important to let passengers know they can travel right through central London and beyond from Peckham Rye - it's a great service. But it seems to fall between the cracks in terms of promotion etc.

Cheers.

Posted by Al&Em 15 March, 2011 16:11

Barry - do you have a contact in Charge of forest hill station (is it London overground?)? Ever since the overground started running highbury and islington the platform indicators don't show the alternating 2nd and 3rd trains as high & I takes too many letters (ie uses both lines). Surely we could just abbreviate it to Highbury or similar so we can see the next trains?

I mentioned it to the station staff but the didn't seem very interested...

Al

Posted by Medley 15 March, 2011 17:13

Al&Em Wrote:
> Barry - do you have a contact in Charge of forest
> hill station (is it London overground?)? Ever
> since the overground started running highbury and
> islington the platform indicators don't show the
> alternating 2nd and 3rd trains as high & I takes
> too many letters (ie uses both lines). Surely we
> could just abbreviate it to Highbury or similar so
> we can see the next trains?
>
> I mentioned it to the station staff but the didn't
> seem very interested...
>
> Al

This irritates the hell out of me at Honor Oak Park too. Definitely not Barry's patch - it's managed by London Overground

I'm going to write to them now for HOP; suggest you do the same for FH.

Not seeing the 3 trains makes it harder to judge whether to get a Southern to LB or an Overground.

Posted by Al&Em 16 March, 2011 12:53

Thanks Medley - have sent them my thoughts...

Posted by Bic Basher 16 March, 2011 12:54

LOROL have sorted out the platform indicator problem now at Forest Hill and HOP.

Posted by Medley 16 March, 2011 14:11

hooray!

Posted by neilson99 30 March, 2011 16:53

Any chance of getting an extra ticket machine (or Oyster card facility in the operator kiosks at Peckham Rye station? The machine has broken down (again) this morning so no Oyster option....

Posted by SMBJones 31 March, 2011 11:38

The answer is yes...... Peckham is part of our plans to increase Ticket Machines

Regards

Barry

Posted by Bic Basher 31 March, 2011 16:57

Southern Revenue inspectors and members of the British Transport Police were at ED station this afternoon.

Posted by KestonKid 03 April, 2011 18:21

Dear Station Manager

Can you clarify for me the situation for children, who travel free on buses, travelling by train from East Dulwich and Denmark Hill stations?

Posted by Chiara 05 April, 2011 10:57

Dear Barry
Last Sunday, for Mother's Day, I arranged to catch a specific train from Victoria, & to be picked up from Haywards Heath on arrival. I knew the SLL was not running on that day, but that half-hourly trains to Victoria were calling at Peckham Rye, platform 3. Five minutes before it ws due I was informed by station staff that the 12.46 had been cancelled. This messed up all my train & pick-up connections. The substitute bus that replaces the SLL on these occasions is a joke. It takes abt 50 minutes to get to Victoria. PR Station staff told people who wanted to get to London Bridge that it wd be quicker to take a train to Lewisham & change there. My conclusion, sadly, is that there's no point trying to go anywhere by train on a Sunday.

Posted by Bic Basher 05 April, 2011 19:41

KestonKid Wrote:
> Dear Station Manager
>
> Can you clarify for me the situation for children,
> who travel free on buses, travelling by train from
> East Dulwich and Denmark Hill stations?

Barry should be able to give you a more detailed explanation. In summary, they normally pay half fare using Oyster Pay as you Go on all National Rail services using their normal Zip Oyster.

On London Overground from Forest Hill and HOP, children travel free if they're under 10 and half fare if older.

Posted by Ladygooner 31 May, 2011 10:22

Can I just say what a delight it was to arrive at London Bridge station this morning and find that the new ticket barriers are in place giving commuters a lot more space and extra terminals to exit the station. An end to the early morning scrum which used to ensue alighting from trains between 8-9am!

Posted by Jeremy 31 May, 2011 14:00

That is good news, Ladygooner. However, I did not benefit from them this morning, as a combination of cancellations/delays meant that I had to use the bus instead.

Not exactly a great start to the week, after yet another weekend closure of the train line.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637Next
Current Page: 36 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum