We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.veganplates.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 26 May, 2010 09:23

Hi

I have someone on way in about half an hour, on your way home tonight it will all be cleared, not sure why this has got into the state it has (deal with that seperately)

Barry

Moos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Morning Barry!
>
> A couple of weeks ago the maintenance team cut
> down the wildflowers (well, weeds) growing next to
> the fences on either side of the ramps going up to
> the tracks at ED. I guess it had to be done,
> although it was a shame to see the lovely lush
> grass, speedwells, buttercups and cowslips go to
> be replaced by unsightly stubble.
>
> Even more unsightly, however, is the months-old
> litter of cans, bags and bottles that the cull
> revealed, which the good citizens of ED have lost
> no time in adding to. Could you please ask your
> team to clear the rubbish away?
>
> Many thanks
> Moos

Posted by stevebailey 26 May, 2010 10:53

Hi Barry,

Can i ask, what's the deal with the new timetable? For the past 4-5 months I've been getting the 08:41 to London Bridge everyday of the week no troubles, always on time, except for 1 or 2 occasions.

Since the change to an 08:33 or 08:45 its been delayed 2 out of 3 days, i gave up this morning and went to denmark hill instead as it wasn't due till 9:01 when i was there at 08:40.

Are these just teething troubles or has some overpaid 'genius' made one hell of a boo boo??

Thanks

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2010:05:26:11:04:53 by stevebailey.

Posted by SMBJones 26 May, 2010 11:40

Hi Steve

Can I ask what station you are travelling from please?

Barry

tevebailey Wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> Can i ask, what's the deal with the new timetable?
> For the past 4-5 months I've been getting the
> 08:41 to London Bridge everyday of the week no
> troubles, always on time, except for 1 or 2
> occasions.
>
> Since the change to an 08:33 or 08:45 its been
> delayed 2 out of 3 days, i gave up this morning
> and went to denmark hill instead as it wasn't due
> till 9:01 when i was there at 08:40.
>
> Are these just teething troubles or has some
> overpaid 'genius' made one hell of a boo boo??
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve

Posted by stevebailey 26 May, 2010 11:47

Sorry, that would help :-) East Dulwich Station

Posted by Jeremy 26 May, 2010 12:23

I've also experienced several delays this week, both to and from London Bridge. I'm assuming there's teething problems with the new timetable.

Posted by SMBJones 26 May, 2010 14:28

Hi

I have just been looking into the performance stats for this week. I think as a company we have been rather unlucky with the timing of the introduction of the new time tables and experiencing a few issues this week on the route. For example, there has been a fatality, faults with points and signals so in reality the revised timetable is fine

I am sure that you will see an improvement as the days go by. I will be keeping a close eye on the Metro East

Regards

Barry

stevebailey Wrote:
> Sorry, that would help :-) East Dulwich Station

Posted by SMBJones 26 May, 2010 14:32

Dear all

Just to let you know there is a Meet the Manager session at London Bridge tomorrow morning. I am in attendance along with senior managers/directors from Southern Railway. We will be there from 0730-0930

Please stop by even if just to say hi, it would be nice to put some faces to those who post regularly

Regards

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 26 May, 2010 14:55

Hi Please see extract from my Ticket Office Manager

Hi Barry, I observed the working of the Oyster transaction form 09:10 to 09;50. There were over 29 transactions done and two failed. Those cards were not reading properly. The code error 35 comes on the card which means there is no credit. But she could not top up at the machine because it could not read the card. To prove it I used my card and it read with a balance of 1.35, The manner in which the transactions are done are that passengers are eager and they do not wait for instructions as they do on the underground. The system asks them to wait and then ask the customer to touch the card again. There is a few seconds between the request. The customers are impatient and touch the pearls pad before the system request and hence fails.

In addition to this, It has also been suggested that the computer inside the ticket machine is not able to handle the power and this new oyster programme. In view of this I am now on the case to get this resolved as quickly as possible. I am have sent emails to parties asking them to meet with me at Peckham to resolve this once and for all

I can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, however you have my word that this issue is now a priority to ensure we can deliver good customer service

Barry

catma Wrote:
> Hi - this was raised a little while ago but I
> would just like some clarification as it's been
> causing me a problem - the oyster readers at
> Peckham rye never work for my card.On them is a
> sign telling us to hover the card rather than lay
> it on the machine, which was the advice from the
> previous related query - so the question is why do
> we have to use these readers differently and is
> this why i can never get out of Peckham Rye
> without causing a mass pileup but can get through
> every other barrier in London!

Posted by plimsoul 26 May, 2010 15:20

Hi

great news that they are looking into screeching because with the dry weather this is just getting worse and worse.

i would like to echo complaints about the delay, today was a disaster especially as if the 46 runs into any problems out of ED then there are no trains between 36/01. i appreciate consultancies were undertaken and that problems do happen but the trains are certainly slower getting into london bridge on the 01.

anyways, as ever barry many many thanks. i hope southeastern realise how much time and bad press you are saving them.

Posted by SMBJones 26 May, 2010 16:24

Good afternoon and again I extend my apologies for late responses and lack of information over the last few weeks, this was due to a very busy work schedule and annual leave.

As stated before London Bridge has now been aligned with the Streatham Hill Area and there have been some changes to areas and stations. For example, Balham, Wandsworth Common and Battersea Park have now been moved from my area of responsibility to another area.

My new role as Area Station Manager Metro East is a little different from what I currently do, for example I will be looking at more community engagement, projects, working with local schools, neighbourhood police teams, stakeholders to name a few, The East Dulwich Forum remains firmly a part of my commitment to passengers in the area, of course I still have the running of the stations to oversee.

I have now appointed a Station Manager who will be based at London Bridge and from time to time Mr Simon Bott will also look in on this site also to engage with you. I remember once from a posting someone stating that I wouldnt be here long, well I am here to stay and further improve my relations with you the customer and your expectations. It is my opinion that over the last year we have come along way together to improve your stations and customer service and I honestly feel that there has been an improvement, you only have to look back to see what I have implemented, dont get me wrong... we have not got it right all of the time, but my team and I are listening and looking at ways to enhance the customer experience even more. I am still open to ideas and will very shortly announce some initiatives I have in the pipe line which of course benefit the customer and my staff. My next big task is to appoint 3 Station Group Managers who will assist managing this area as well as London Bridge. On the topic of London Bridge it is my plan to announce what is going to happen over next year very shortly. I do want to post anything which maybe incorrect, the main issue we are facing is managing the station whilst all the major building works are taking place over the next few years. I am working very closely with Network Rail and will post accordingly

Here is a small update on what is happening currently

* Staffing First to Last is now been in place a few weeks and is now starting to work well, hopefully queuing for tickets not an issue anymore
* The following stations are about to get a makeover which will include deep cleans, new seating, yellow markings repainted, painting of station, chewing gum removal, minor building works, the stations are East and North Dulwich, Streatham, Queens Road Peckham, South Bermondsey. Works are now currently underway at most locactions
* Peckham Rye will also benefit from a makeover, pleased to announce that the booking hall, walkways and canopies are also a part of this program as well as the works mentioned above.
* Gipsy Hill and Streatham Hill refurbishments in relation to the gates and new ticket offices are due to finish late July

Hopefully not bored you too much and would like to say thank you to those who have sent private messages and posted kind comments over the last year

Regards

Barry Jones
Area Station Manager
Metro East

Posted by Ladygooner 26 May, 2010 16:35

Barry as always you have worked wonders! Keep up the good work. Am loving the extra trains in the morning - seems like delays were just down to bad luck this week. Todays timings were fine. Now if we could only get extra trains coming back after 9pm..............

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 26 May, 2010 17:01

Huzzah! Hope that new title comes with a fat pay rise. Well deserved.

Posted by catma 26 May, 2010 18:46

Thanks for the update......I think my problem is that there are so few gates that if you do mistime or have a problem trying to judge the distance to actually hover your card then the sheer mass of people push you on and you can't just wait for it to reset!!!

SMBJones Wrote:
> Hi Please see extract from my Ticket Office
> Manager
>
> Hi Barry, I observed the working of the Oyster
> transaction form 09:10 to 09;50. There were over
> 29 transactions done and two failed. Those cards
> were not reading properly. The code error 35
> comes on the card which means there is no credit.
> But she could not top up at the machine because it
> could not read the card. To prove it I used my
> card and it read with a balance of 1.35, The
> manner in which the transactions are done are that
> passengers are eager and they do not wait for
> instructions as they do on the underground. The
> system asks them to wait and then ask the customer
> to touch the card again. There is a few seconds
> between the request. The customers are impatient
> and touch the pearls pad before the system request
> and hence fails.
>
> In addition to this, It has also been suggested
> that the computer inside the ticket machine is not
> able to handle the power and this new oyster
> programme. In view of this I am now on the case to
> get this resolved as quickly as possible. I am
> have sent emails to parties asking them to meet
> with me at Peckham to resolve this once and for
> all
>
> I can only apologise for the inconvenience this
> has caused, however you have my word that this
> issue is now a priority to ensure we can deliver
> good customer service
>
> Barry
>
>
>
>
>
>
> catma Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi - this was raised a little while ago but I
> > would just like some clarification as it's been
> > causing me a problem - the oyster readers at
> > Peckham rye never work for my card.On them is a
> > sign telling us to hover the card rather than
> lay
> > it on the machine, which was the advice from
> the
> > previous related query - so the question is why
> do
> > we have to use these readers differently and is
> > this why i can never get out of Peckham Rye
> > without causing a mass pileup but can get
> through
> > every other barrier in London!

Posted by Weegee 27 May, 2010 10:28

Hey Barry

I missed meeting you at the 'Meet The Managers' event at London Bridge station this morning.

Not to worry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2010:05:27:10:29:36 by Weegee.

Posted by SMBJones 27 May, 2010 11:18

Hi, really sorry I missed you this morning. I was at the session for about an hour and half and then had to attend an important meeting

Barry

Weegee Wrote:
> Hey Barry
>
> I missed meeting you at the 'Meet The Managers'
> event at London Bridge station this morning.
>
> Not to worry

Posted by plimsoul 27 May, 2010 12:26

hi

i am beginning to think that the 8:59 does not actually exist. it was late again today only at ED by 9:06.

please can you reassure me that there are other problems causing this as the 8:56 was usually on time if not slightly early. i, like many rely on this service and when running late it means that at a peak time when paying extra to travel there is a 20 minute gap.

thanks.

Posted by bookhopper 27 May, 2010 18:45

Hi,

Sorry, New ticket machine at East Dulwich.

My bad.

Posted by SMBJones 28 May, 2010 10:23

Hi

I have an engineer on the way to look at this now, in addition to this, the Ticket Machine which was vandalised and broken into will be replaced on the 21st June. I apprecaite that this is a few weeks away however these machines are not cheap and we have have had a spate of attacks across our network which has delayed the order

Apologies to all for the inconvenience

Barry

bookhopper Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, New ticket machine at East Dulwich.
>
> My bad.

Posted by SMBJones 28 May, 2010 10:34

Hi

I have had the opportunity this morning to look at some of the playbacks regarding this service. All train services and their runnings are all recorded. In layman terms, its like looking at an Air Tarffic Controllers screen and we can see the exact departure times, or if services are held at signals etc across the entire network.

Looking at the last few mornings including today I can see that the service is losing time between Tulse Hill and Peckham, on average its losing about 2 minutes. For what reason at this stage I still need to determine. I will now be asking my managers to record all data at stations between Tulse Hill and Peckham, for example, loadings, passenger issues. This way can can start to look at the issue in more depth. It may also be the case that we need the new time table to settle down and passengers get used to new timings.

In relation to the service which was considerably late (27th), I can see that the signal man held your train in order for another service to pass, why I am unsure but this is unusual for the amount of time it was held at the red signal.

Hope this helps

Barry

plimsoul Wrote:
> hi
>
> i am beginning to think that the 8:59 does not
> actually exist. it was late again today only at ED
> by 9:06.
>
> please can you reassure me that there are other
> problems causing this as the 8:56 was usually on
> time if not slightly early. i, like many rely on
> this service and when running late it means that
> at a peak time when paying extra to travel there
> is a 20 minute gap.
>
> thanks.

Posted by paragon 28 May, 2010 23:06

Belter

Posted by lemonellen 30 May, 2010 18:25

Hi Barry

I was going to say hello at the meet the managers session the other day but you were deep in conversation. Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work. Do keep it up, your efforts are much appreciated.

Posted by SMBJones 02 June, 2010 16:14

Good afternoon... As you are aware from previous postings your stations will very shortly get some makeovers/deep clean, grafitti removals/repaints etc these have already started!

So my questions is this..... and I would respectfully ask for sensible answers please.

What provisions/enhancements would you like to additionally see at your stations?? Please bare in mind that I can not guarantee that all suggestions will be implemented, however it is something I can take to Southern Railway on you behalf. This is an opportunity for you to have a voice in regards to the enhancements relating to your station. I feel that this is a new way forward and hope this would bring about a more strategic way of working together to improve a vital part of our community

I look forward to your responses/suggestions

Regards

Barry Jones
Area Station Manager
Metro East

Posted by sophiesofa 02 June, 2010 16:22

My request (which may be already on the list as I think it's been mentioned before) is more LCD screens at ED station. If the build centre (i think that's their name, but I could be wrong) opposite is moving something around their yard it's impossible (for me at least) to hear the announcements so being able to see a screen easily would help. Also with pay as you go you tap in before knowing if their are big delays so sometimes end up waiting on the platform when a bus might have worked out better. I know there is a monitor by the ticket office but it's not easy to see when rushing past so a monitor or LCD before you go through the barriers for the LB bound platform would be brilliant or additional oyster readers at the top of the ramp? Thanks very much.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 02 June, 2010 18:18

Red geraniums.

Posted by SMBJones 02 June, 2010 18:40

Dont temp me PGC! big grin

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
> Red geraniums.

Posted by Nero 02 June, 2010 19:48

I think more bins and more announcements/posters asking passengers to use them would be very welcome. Also, a commitment to clean up the grassy areas behind the wire fences at least once a month would be great.

Posted by peckhamboy 03 June, 2010 11:13

I agree about needing more screens for the London Bridge platform - ideally one at the bottom of the ramp or by the ticket machines, and at least one extra display on the platform itself. The one at the top of the ramp can't be seen from the front of the platform because the shelter is in the way and can't be seen from the other end because it's too far away. As far as the grassy areas are concerned, the difference since Barry took over is remarkable and they're kpet pretty clear already in my opinion (try comparing them to the scrubby area between the road and the station at Denmark Hill).

One other thought that occurs to me is whether the steps to the southbound platform could be removed (and replaced with a ramp!) to make it easier for buggies and wheelchairs?

Posted by Mark 03 June, 2010 11:46

Hi Barry

Thanks for asking for people's input. It's a bit general but it would be great for the station to look like a nice place to get off, currently the fences (including Domino's razor wire) make it look like you're getting off at some rough-neck inner-city neighbourhood. Could the steel/galvanised wire fencing be changed to the green wire fencing, or preferably removed totally, to take away the 'being herded' feeling when you get off the train?
The fencing at the back of the platform is steel (as seen on the ED postcards) and the lamp-posts are grey, all very 'Slough in the rain'. I'm not saying they should be pink, flamboyant and Lawrence Lewellyn Bowen, just a bit more welcoming.

Posted by Dottz 03 June, 2010 11:56

I don't know if you can help with this, but a number of times when I have checked TfL for train times they have been wrong. This happens so often that I leave an extra half an hour earlier just in case. Also train time tables seem to be like gold dust.

Thanks for going out of your way to hear our comments

Posted by Izodia 03 June, 2010 13:14

It might be helpful to have an Oystercard reader on the platforms...that way people can come up and check the screens before swiping in...and forgetful people like me wouldn't have so far to go back when they forget to swipe in!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum