We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Loz 03 June, 2010 14:09

Izodia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It might be helpful to have an Oystercard reader
> on the platforms...that way people can come up and
> check the screens before swiping in...and
> forgetful people like me wouldn't have so far to
> go back when they forget to swipe in!

Agreed. I often nip up the path to check trains then have to nip back to swipe in. That in turn causes a few people to break into a sprint as they think I have just got off a train when they see me coming down the path...!

Also, Barry, more shelter would be nice. On rainy days it gets pretty crowded under there.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 03 June, 2010 17:13

Bernard Cribbins would be nice. He's not busy now he's finished with Dr Who.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 03 June, 2010 17:32

Ok Here we go with round one! well.... I thought I would make a start

LCD screens at ED station.


I have spoken to a senior project manager and she has kindly sent a request through, hopefully this can be brought forward. There are plans to look at Customer Information Screens and deliver the enhancements by May 2011. This earlier implementation can take a few weeks for a decision. I have stressed the importance of this.

Additional oyster readers

I have located 2 spares and I am now awaiting some dates so a survey can be carried out for the cabling etc.

I think more bins and more announcements/posters.

4 more bins will be placed at ED tomorrow, I have already compiled a poster and this has now gone to the relevant department for completing the text etc. These will take a few days to get printed and placed at ALL stations in my area

A commitment to clean up the grassy areas behind the wire fences at least once a month would be great

I will commit to a weekly clear of the grassy areas, this is now in place with the area supervisors and their cleaning logs


Southbound platform step could be removed (and replaced with a ramp!) to make it easier for buggies and wheelchairs?


I have a company attending next week to look at the possibility of a ramp of some kind for the steps to the platforms. I will post accordingly

The fencing at the back of the platform is steel currently the fences (including Domino's razor wire)the lamp-posts are grey

Same company looking at ramps will also be looking at all the barbed wire, both dominos and the garden centre. They will be taking the old away and replacing with new, ensuring this looks presentable to you the passengers.

The entire station including lampposts, fencing will be completely repainted in Southerns corporate colours. The works start on 20th June and are expected to finish on 29th July. Trust me not pink and flamboyant

Train time tables seem to be like gold dust. TfL for train times they have been wrong.

There are enough timetables in stock at all of the stations, I have checked this today. I would suggest using the National Rail website for trains.

More shelter would be nice. On rainy days it gets pretty crowded under there.

This is work in progress and will be completed by Autumn 2010.

I have also been visiting ED today as well as a few other stations. ED poster frames and removal of paint from readers etc will be done tomorrow by my maintenance team and some fresh posters. Apologies for this!

Lastly I would like to see more suggestions for my other stations in the area, Peckham Rye, Queens Road for example

Kind regards

Barry Jones
Area Station Manager
Metro East

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Medley 03 June, 2010 17:48

Keep up the great work Barry, and congrats on the promotion.

Peckham Rye comments: drastic but significant action still needed on the booking/ticket gate hall. More ticket machines, and surely something could be done with all the empty space over to the left as you face the stairs? Are lifts a possibility? Will the arrival of the Overground in 2012 help there at all?

On a lower level, the repainting made a big difference but some bits already look scruffy - and some bits seem never to have been done? Either way, keeping the place looking half-way smart seems to me a big part of the battle - especially when such a fine station is still approached through those grim alleys (about which I'm sure Southern can't do much). The graffiti on the outside rear of the building, visible from the platforms, is particularly depressing.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by sophiesofa 03 June, 2010 21:31

Wow Barry thanks - looking forward to seeing the tarted up station

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by markyb3 03 June, 2010 22:15

Barry,

I always find it very difficult at Peckham Rye when getting a train to Victoria.(and the other way round) I am always running late and swipe in my pre pay oyster only to find I've just missed the train. The timings of the trains with 5 mins between the fast and stopper service and then none for another 25mins means its not worth waiting for the next one. Any chance that the trains could be more evenly spaced ?

Mark

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Izodia 04 June, 2010 11:56

Wow, thanks Barry. You're just too efficient!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by siousxiesue 04 June, 2010 12:01

You're an absolute star, hope you get a bonus! We'll all get up a petition if not!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by bookhopper 04 June, 2010 15:07

Hi barry,
got a few suggestions for South Bermondsey?

More light(S), another shelter, maybe im pushing a bit much, but a hanging basket of something colourful?

Thanks for all youve done for us train folk smiling smiley

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Jeremy 08 June, 2010 12:28

Better drainage on the London Bridge platforms would be great. When it rains, deep muddy puddles accumulate on the uncovered sections... it's quite minging. I wouldn't have thought it would be hard to fix.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Shane Clarke 08 June, 2010 12:56

Barry - Hello there. The folloing text (photos removed) is from an e-mail I sent to Nunhead councillors in October. No action to date.

Dear Southwark Environment, local councillors, Nunhead SNT, Southwark Wardens

Greetings Myself and the wife moved into Lugard Road, just off Queens Road Peckham, back in April 2009 and were very happy we did so. Great area! Couple of things I do find frustrating though that could be easily fixed. I know that Network Rail can be very difficult to deal with but combined pressure from yourselves should be able to sort the issues noted below.

From: Shane Clarke
Sent: 23 October 2009 11:47
To: ''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''; ''
Subject: Queend Road Peckham- suggested improvements

Tens of thousands of train passengers pass through Queens Rd Peckham station every day. The track-side graffiti can only but reinforce negative and stereotyped images of Peckham as a dump not worth visiting or investing in. I know that was the case with me until I actually ventured outside the station.

Queens Road Peckham railway bridge graffiti. This is right opposite a lovely new office development which remains vacant. Graffiti such as this can only help deter any potential leaseholders of this building. Getting hundreds of office workers to the area would bring very significant local spending power.

Foliage on the very impressive railway arches. Same issue as above.

Having all the above cleaned and slotted into a regular maintenance programme would be much appreciated and would help lift the area. I do this stuff for a living so I understand both the challenges and the very positive gains from seeing this through. Cheers, Shane

Shane Clarke
Lugard Road
London SE15

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by david_carnell 08 June, 2010 14:10

Barry

On Platform 3 of Peckham Rye station is a large, unused room. Could this not be invested in to provide either a waiting room for passengers, or even better, a small tea room. In my romantic visions I'd aspire to something like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3DCs5bz7mdM/SGruAPCIVNI/AAAAAAAAAMw/2EpGFaF7cBQ/s320/Brief%2BEncounter%2BRefreshment%2BRoom.png

But in reality I'd settle for this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3434264898_9300e19838.jpg

You've got the space at that station for it to be quite lovely and welcoming. Sadly at the moment it just appears as if the station is a shadow of its former self.

Regards
David.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:06

Hi

Since the introduction of Oyster queuing at stations has been reduced, I appreciate there have been some issues of late however these are being addressed. This is something that I need to monitor for a little while longer.

The lift issue is being looked into by Network Rail, I will see if I can get an update of some kind from them direct. This may take a few days

Work has now started on the refresh scheme, the entire station will be repainted and this includes the canopies on platform 1/2, new cleaning logs and extra responsibilities have been given to the staff at Peckham to ensure that we maintain this station once the works have been complete

The grafitti you mention has been removed from the "Tower" I think this is what you are reffering to, all other tags/grafitti will be removed as part of this refresh program

Regards

Barry


Medley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep up the great work Barry, and congrats on the
> promotion.
>
> Peckham Rye comments: drastic but significant
> action still needed on the booking/ticket gate
> hall. More ticket machines, and surely something
> could be done with all the empty space over to the
> left as you face the stairs? Are lifts a
> possibility? Will the arrival of the Overground in
> 2012 help there at all?
>
> On a lower level, the repainting made a big
> difference but some bits already look scruffy -
> and some bits seem never to have been done? Either
> way, keeping the place looking half-way smart
> seems to me a big part of the battle - especially
> when such a fine station is still approached
> through those grim alleys (about which I'm sure
> Southern can't do much). The graffiti on the
> outside rear of the building, visible from the
> platforms, is particularly depressing.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:09

Hi Mark

You maybe aware that we have introduced a new timetable that went live about two weeks ago. No changes can be made for a while if indeed they will be made. This new timetable is being monitored and any issues will be addressed at a later date.

Sorry

Barry


markyb3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Barry,
>
> I always find it very difficult at Peckham Rye
> when getting a train to Victoria.(and the other
> way round) I am always running late and swipe in
> my pre pay oyster only to find I've just missed
> the train. The timings of the trains with 5 mins
> between the fast and stopper service and then none
> for another 25mins means its not worth waiting for
> the next one. Any chance that the trains could be
> more evenly spaced ?
>
> Mark

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:13

Hi

Flowers will be in place in about a week, I am in a meeting tomorrow about and I will address the shelter problem then, I have just received a quote and it will need to be authorised (not cheap!!). The station is about to undergo a mini makeover which will incorporate painting and deep cleaning.

CAn I ask what lights you are referring to, platform, approach??

Regards

Barry



bookhopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi barry,
> got a few suggestions for South Bermondsey?
>
> More light(S), another shelter, maybe im pushing a
> bit much, but a hanging basket of something
> colourful?
>
> Thanks for all youve done for us train folk smiling smiley

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:18

Hi Jeremy

As you can appreciate the roof at London Bridge is very old, the first phase has just been completed on the roof to ensure that contractors can walk on it safely to make repairs. There is a programme of works about to commence

Regards

Barry

Jeremy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Better drainage on the London Bridge platforms
> would be great. When it rains, deep muddy puddles
> accumulate on the uncovered sections... it's quite
> minging. I wouldn't have thought it would be hard
> to fix.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Jeremy 08 June, 2010 18:26

Thanks, but I am referring to the section furthest from the main station building, on plaforms 14/15/16. These are not undercover at all, so there is a clear need for drainage.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:34

Hi Shane


As you are aware at Queens Road Peckham there is fencing that runs down each platform with some old white boards on top which has been heavily grafittied. You may have seen from previous postings that a few stations in my area are about to receive deep cleans and painting. In a meeting last week I suggested that our contractors remove these white boards and tidy the top. If they had just been painted it would have meant a blank canvass for these (I choose my words carefully)louts to continue to grafitti which would defeat the object. These extra works ar QRP have been signed off and it will definately enhance the station. This will also include the trackside grafitti

In view of the works taking place on the station premises, I have sent your comments to a contact at Network Rail regarding the bridge etc. If we are making this investment improving QRP then we should continue with the programme and extend it to the outside of the station.

This is firmly on my radar and will post accordingly, I am a man of my word and I have delivered in the past, hopefully this will come to fruition also

Regards

Barry


Shane Clarke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Barry - Hello there. The folloing text (photos
> removed) is from an e-mail I sent to Nunhead
> councillors in October. No action to date.
>
> Dear Southwark Environment, local councillors,
> Nunhead SNT, Southwark Wardens
>
> Greetings Myself and the wife moved into Lugard
> Road, just off Queens Road Peckham, back in April
> 2009 and were very happy we did so. Great area!
> Couple of things I do find frustrating though that
> could be easily fixed. I know that Network Rail
> can be very difficult to deal with but combined
> pressure from yourselves should be able to sort
> the issues noted below.
>
> From: Shane Clarke
> Sent: 23 October 2009 11:47
> To: '';
> '';
> '';
> '';
> '';
> '';
> ''
> Subject: Queend Road Peckham- suggested
> improvements
>
> Tens of thousands of train passengers pass
> through Queens Rd Peckham station every day. The
> track-side graffiti can only but reinforce
> negative and stereotyped images of Peckham as a
> dump not worth visiting or investing in. I know
> that was the case with me until I actually
> ventured outside the station.
>
> Queens Road Peckham railway bridge graffiti. This
> is right opposite a lovely new office development
> which remains vacant. Graffiti such as this can
> only help deter any potential leaseholders of this
> building. Getting hundreds of office workers to
> the area would bring very significant local
> spending power.
>
> Foliage on the very impressive railway arches.
> Same issue as above.
>
> Having all the above cleaned and slotted into a
> regular maintenance programme would be much
> appreciated and would help lift the area. I do
> this stuff for a living so I understand both the
> challenges and the very positive gains from seeing
> this through. Cheers, Shane
>
> Shane Clarke
> Lugard Road
> London SE15

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:44

Hi Jeremy

sorry..... comments noted and will be speaking with the NWR Station Manager tomorrow

Regards

Barry


Jeremy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, but I am referring to the section furthest
> from the main station building, on plaforms
> 14/15/16. These are not undercover at all, so
> there is a clear need for drainage.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 18:56

Hi David

The area you refer to is known as the "Billiard Room" This area is not under our lease however there is a programme of works being funded by private parties/donations, the area is managed by a branch of Network Rail called Spacia

These works are expected to take some time, maybe a couple of years. They are doing this in stages to bring this room back to its former glory, it a huge project and will cost a lot of money, I was informed in excess of a million pounds. Once the works are done I am sure there will be a lot of interest as to what we do with it. For the time being it is a question on how much funding can be raised to continue with the project. The room is huge and continues down into the booking hall at Peckham Rye. I will get some pictures taken just so you can see for yourself how extensive this project is

Very sorry, no Cafe Nero for the time being

Regards

Barry




david_carnell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Barry
>
> On Platform 3 of Peckham Rye station is a large,
> unused room. Could this not be invested in to
> provide either a waiting room for passengers, or
> even better, a small tea room. In my romantic
> visions I'd aspire to something like this:
>
> [1.bp.blogspot.com]
> AAAAAAAAAMw/2EpGFaF7cBQ/s320/Brief%2BEncounter%2BR
> efreshment%2BRoom.png
>
> But in reality I'd settle for this:
>
> [farm4.static.flickr.com]
> 0e19838.jpg
>
> You've got the space at that station for it to be
> quite lovely and welcoming. Sadly at the moment it
> just appears as if the station is a shadow of its
> former self.
>
> Regards
> David.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Loz 08 June, 2010 19:09

Barry,

Others have said it before me, but it is well worth saying again: you are an absolute star.

And a damn efficient one at that.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 08 June, 2010 20:19

I'm completely smitten!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Sue 08 June, 2010 21:14

So am I, what a star smiling smiley

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2010 21:28

Thank you both

Barry

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So am I, what a star smiling smiley



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2010:06:08:21:30:54 by SMBJones.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Medley 09 June, 2010 10:10

As ever, loving your work. V. interesting about the updates at P Rye, inc. the billiard room project. Photos would be great! Imagine what the UK would be like if everyone had Barry's attitude.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by bookhopper 09 June, 2010 12:26

Hi Barry,

South bermondsey is just a one platform station? more lights in general would be nice, but anything you could do would be great smiling smiley

messageRe: Station Manager Cornerattachment
Posted by SMBJones 09 June, 2010 16:36

Hi

Please find attached photos for "Billiard Room"...... This will be 5 postings due to KB Size

Attachments: IMG00078.jpg (539.8KB)  
messageRe: Station Manager Cornerattachment
Posted by SMBJones 09 June, 2010 16:37

Photo 2

Attachments: IMG00080.jpg (434.4KB)  
messageRe: Station Manager Cornerattachment
Posted by SMBJones 09 June, 2010 16:37

Photo 3

Attachments: IMG00080.jpg (434.4KB)  
messageRe: Station Manager Cornerattachment
Posted by SMBJones 09 June, 2010 16:38

Photo 4

Attachments: IMG00081.jpg (408.5KB)  
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum