Surma

all_star

we ate at Surma after reading the reviews about it online.

The food was great but one of the waiters absolutley stank of smoke, the people next to us smoked the whole way through our meal, while we were eating, and even when no one was smoking the air vents bringing air in must have been near the staff smoking area, we were really diappointed and probably would not go there again because of this.

That is such a shame - did you ask them to not smoke whilst you were eating? As a recent-ish ex smoker I sympathise but all you can do until the new laws come in is ask.

Take away is still great from there and in the comfort of your own home :))

• Administrator

I sympathise with you all_star, I hope Surma act on it after you brought it to their attention, Mr Ali (the manager) is a genuinely nice guy and tries to make everything perfect for his customers.

I'm sure there will be another poll towards the end of the year as to which was the best Indian Restaurant in East Dulwich during 2007, that gives the other restaurants time to spruce up their act and try to get their hands on the prestigious award.

I sympathise with you all_star, I hope Surma act on it after you brought it to their attention, Mr Ali (the manager) is a genuinely nice guy and tries to make everything perfect for his customers.

I'm sure there will be another poll towards the end of the year as to which was the best Indian Restaurant in East Dulwich during 2007, that gives the other restaurants time to spruce up their act and try to get their hands on the prestigious award.

I love the way that complaints about restaurants and shops get there (eventually) by way of an internet forum rather than the direct approach. How very English hee hee.

Perhaps restaurants should be fitted with a 'comments' box, so diners could thank the waiter for a wonderful experience - and pop their venomous comments in it on the way out.

If in doubt - find and American and have them do the complaining on your behalf.

Hello,

As Mr. Ali's daughter i can not believe that a waiter at our restaurant smelt of smoke. i will definitely talk to my dad about this and it will be rectified.

I am very sorry about your experience all_star but please do come again and my dad will definitely make sure it all goes well.

Please take up any complaints with my dad has he only wants to do the best for all his customers.

havent tried Surma but tried Tandoori Nights for the first time last weekend and loved it. Food was great, but service was exceptional. From the moment we walked in, waiters were attentive, knowledgable about the food and everything was delicious. Best Indian restaurant I've been to around Lordship Lane - really nice. Would highly recommend

Just turn your sound down before you visit the site.

But yes - their food is fantastic. Also, they're always a bit quicker to deliver than they say they'll be. Don't know whether you can eat in there or whether it's takeaway only.

Just back from Surma. I can confirm that taba is absolutely delicious. So much better than yer usual madras or whatever. It wasn't too smokey, although someone did light up nearby just as we were finishing. Was very loud, but that's down to one table of pissed people who looked like they were there on a work night out. So, hardly the restaurant's fault, and better too loud than too quiet.

Ok, we will definately try Surma again xstolenx. Might wait until the smoking ban is in place though. Food was really good and draught Cobra was fine!

Without wanting to turn this into too much of a restaurant review thread - I was wanting to make a point about anti-social smokers (Surma award thread is now locked), Tandoori Nights was excellent last night (and is non-smoking).

I guess we are just lucky to have so much choice on Lordship Lane.

I like smoking. I know it's wrong.

We all know my days of freedom are numbered, I just don't think it's good manners to dance on the platform as I wave my hanky. You'll all get your own way in five months; I can only beg you to save your crowing until you are happily dining on the cadaver of my social life.

jeremy

Thanks for letting me Know about booking booked once turned up on time had to wait 20 mins standing booked second time they lost the booking could not dine, booked week in advance for 8 cood only seat 4 rest had to wait.

But the food is good when and if you can get it

I actually went to Surma last night. The famous Taba dish was quite tasty but swimming in fat, as was my girlfriend's curry. The Quail starter sounded interesting, but was actually very dry and had little flavour - and there was only one on the plate, despite being described as "quails" (ie plural). The naan bread was very nice though.

Basically this is just a run-of-the mill high street indian, and I cannot see why anyone would think this is a better restaurant than Tandoori Nights! And if you go for the house specials such as the Taba, it is just as expensive. I would also add that the service was very slow (about 45 mins for our starters to arrive), although the waiter was very apologetic. And the decor towards the back of the restaurant is in a very bad state - crumbling plaster and flaking paint.

If others like this restaurant I guess that's fair enough - each to their own - but I will not be returning!

J.

Quaywe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ganapati is the ONLY Indian restaurant I will eat

> at now. Try it and you will see why. The rubbish

> available on LL is not even worth a sniff.

To be fair to the places on LL, they're Curry Houses, whereas Ganapati is more of a restaurant (does that make sense). Ganapati is fantastic (as I mentioned some time ago ;-) ), and the food there is indeed far nicer than anything on LL. However, it's a different experience to going a good old curry in one of the more "traditional" curry houses.

In my opinion, Tandoori Nights is the best on LL, Spice Republic does the best take away, and Ganapati is just the best full stop (tu)