SE22 Magazine

Guest *Bob*

I've just been leafing through the latest SE22 'magazine' (yes - another busy day for me).

It's hard to pick-out my fave article. Is it 'Kevin's Fitness Tips'("We are going into the ski season, so now's a good time to start your exercises in preparation for the slopes"). Is it the 'Rumours' section? ("The rumour mill has been quiet again this month"). Or is it the toe-curlingly awful 'Organic Olivia', so dreadful I had to read it twice?

a rag whose prime motivation is self publicity and taking more of your hard earned Pounds

SE22 makes the excrebale ES magazine ( out tonight and free with your Evening Substandard ) read like the Dialectics section of the May 1971 issue of Marxist review.

respect Bludz.

SE22 is a great magazine and the editor (Angela) is very nice and a very caring member of the ED community. The only issue with the mag is that Angela does not yet circulate it to all of ED. The new expensive middle class house I've moved to isn't in her catchment area (yet) so I rarely see it any more. :(

Don't know if she uses recycled paper though...

All the local magazines seem to have articles like this:

India Frondberry is pleased to announce the opening of a holistic Zen Buddhist thumb-massaging centre (a first for East Dulwich) using the latest techniques and expensive pommades imported from Timbuktu. The former chip shop in a dull backstreet has been tarted up excessively as India has literally nothing else to do and likes pretty things. This also means she has to overcharge hideously but you can get ?1 off with this voucher. India says "Please do support essential local businesses like mine as I need to pay my kids' school fees and I have my eye on a holiday home in Tuscany."

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All the local magazines seem to have articles like

> this:

>

> India Frondberry is pleased to announce the

> opening of a holistic Zen Buddhist thumb-massaging

> centre (a first for East Dulwich) using the latest

> techniques and expensive pommades imported from

> Timbuktu. The former chip shop in a dull

> backstreet has been tarted up excessively as India

> has literally nothing else to do and likes pretty

> things. This also means she has to overcharge

> hideously but you can get ?1 off with this

> voucher. India says "Please do support essential

> local businesses like mine as I need to pay my

> kids' school fees and I have my eye on a holiday

> home in Tuscany."

Word.

when I sayz istz a way of getin yer poundz , I dont mean you pay for the pamphlet - - its norra magazine, its an advertorial.

the succulent cash cow of Living South will be searchin for a way of nipping this pocket sized upstart in the bud.

Rispekt due

PS has any bro' ever read a resturant review in either of the above esteemed publications that is anything less than an excercise in back slappery an glossily printed fellatio ?

rispect Bludz

I like the idea of se22 however in practice it's like something a primary school class would come up with. I fear Angela's actual experience of publishing is something close to zero. For example the local history stuff was quite interesting but the layout (randomly spread through the 'mag' and broken in atrocious places) was ridiculous.

If Angela wants my help as a sub I'm happy to provide it.

Organic Olivia though is just embarrasing for all concerned. I'd love to know who think it's a good idea or a good read.

When it first came out, SE22's rumour section was a must-read. Sadly that section lost credibility when it continued to tout the M&S urban myth, and now I get all my rumours from here - as does the magazine, I suspect. Meanwhile, what will fill the pages when the serialisation of John Beasley's East Dulwich history classic comes to an end? (I've already got the book, but I won't spoil it for you by giving away the ending. Except to say that nobody dies.)

What on earth do people expect from a free magazine which is delivered through your door? Very naive to compare it to the Evening Standard, surely.

I do not know Angela personally and her magazine is free and her's, so she can do whatever she wants.

Everyone is welcome to print a "better" one.

However in the past 6 months I've emailed Angela 3 times to ask/suggest something, she never replied and worse : she didn't even acknowledge receipt of my emails. The least she should have done as a courtesy towards one of her readers (td)

Or ex-readers !!!

In the meantime the more her magazine is brought on online forums, the more free publicity she gets .. (6)

Viva Britannia and God save the Queen .

Leave her alone, she's nice and her magazine is great. If she doesn't reply to your emails it's because her magazine is so popular she's flat out and simply doesn't have time. If people stop reading her mag and advertising in it as a result then I'm sure she'll have more time to pay attention to her inbox. Who read's email anyway's? It's just a lazy way of communicating and the average inbox is generally the home for spam more than anything else these days.

The good thing about Angela and her magazine is she stands up for the ED cause. She also gets involved in the community (other than just writing about it). If there's an ED cause worth fighting for she does, rather than just sit on a forum and winge about it, but not actually do anything about it (ring any bells pommy people!?).

The ED mag is absolutely dreadful. I've had a good read this afternoon on a lazy sunday and could not believe how awful some of the articles were. It makes you wonder if some people ever live outside or visit outside of this city, or even worse, ED! It's so typically status quo and remote from normal life, and it hardly surprises me the likes of Quaywe likes it, perhaps he could open an organic magazine store in partnerhsip with this dreadful lady, it would be quite fitting of how this area is going.

Regards,

Don.

I'm sure Angela is a wonderful, caring, sharing and warm human being (alas I have not 'had the pleasure'), but I don't see why this should stop me having an opinion on her handiwork. I mean, we're not talking about a three year old who's just brought their wax crayon picture home from school, are we? Er.. ok, bad example.

I was in Arterie getting a couple of bits and bobs framed (they've been sitting in our cupboard for nigh on 3 years, so I assured them there was no rush) and the lady in front of us was getting her son's maccaroni picture of a fish framed.

I'm all for parents seeing the beauty in a piece of rubbish produced by their own offspring, but framing it at ?100 a pop?!?!

Couldn't stop laughing, and I'm not normally one to get that wound up by the three-wheeled prammers.

On the topic of three wheeled prams I loved this map of number of starbucks per postcode i found here

A map of London's Starbucks by postcodeNW1 NW1 NW1 NW1 NW3 NW3 NW3 NW3 NW3 NW4 NW6 NW6 NW8 NW9 NW11 NW11EN2 EN5

N1 N1 N1 N1 N1 N8 N10 N12 N21RM1W2 W2 W2 W2 W2 W4 W4 W4 W5 W5 W6 W6 W6 W8 W8 W8 W9 W11 W11 W11 W11 W11 W12

UB7 UB7 UB8West End W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1 W1West End WC1 WC1 WC1 WC1 WC1 WC1 WC1 WC1 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2 WC2City EC1 EC1 EC1 EC2 EC2 EC2 EC2 EC2 EC2 EC2 EC2 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC3 EC4 EC4 EC4 EC4 EC4 EC4 EC4 EC4E1 E1 E14 E14 E14 E14 E14 E14SW3 SW3 SW3 SW3 SW4 SW4 SW4 SW5 SW5 SW6 SW6 SW6 SW6 SW7 SW7 SW7 SW7 SW8 SW10 SW11 SW12 SW13 SW15 SW18 SW19 SW19SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1 SW1SE1 SE1 SE1

SE1 SE1 SE1

SE1 SE1 SE1SE3 SE10 SE10TW1 TW6 TW6 TW9 TW9 TW9 TW12 KT1 KT1 KT6SM1CR0 CR0   BR1

*edited to remove SE22 until sainsbury's refurb complete, or until they open up on LL*