Controlled parking and other issues

Guest monica mcsherry

Hi all,there are a couple of things that are going on in the local community that have just been brought to our attention.Firstly East dulwich police station might be knocked down for residential flats,Do we need more flats,currently most of the policing and emergency calls come from peckham police station,while there are only a few police and community police in place at dulwich.there are petitions around east dulwich to stop this,if you want to sign. Secondly rumours suggest southwark council may be bringing a controlled parking zone to the area.They proposed this about 6 years ago, retailers and residents fought this and won.But now its being proposed again. Southwark alliance are having a meeting on the 14th of february location unknown,but the contact number is 02075256433 for anyone who wants to go. I know its valentines day but hopefully there will be other meetings. Do East dulwich need a controlled parking zone?Are we being penalised for commuters parking here?Lets do something about this

monica

Hy guys,i dont know whether the residents of East Dulwich know,but our lovely parking wardens have decided to fine cars that are parked in front of the paving that slopes for the disabled and wheel chair bound residents.People have been ticketed for parking in front of these,they are located around east dulwich,buts its only now fines are being issued.Frogley road is an example.

rumours suggest southwark council may be bringing a controlled parking zone to the area

are they or aren't they, is there a point in rallying up over a rumour?

fine cars that are parked in front of the paving that slopes for the disabled and wheel chair bound residents
I know that some people are requesting that double yellow lines are put in front of the sloping pavements to stop cars from parking in front of them and rendering their purpose pointless, but I did't know that it's already an offence.

I'm sorry but if you park in front of one of those then you deserve a ticket - I'm not disabled but it drives me mad when I see that - how do they think people in wheelchairs are meant to get accross the road?

I can't believe that you're protesting the tickets for blocking disabled ramps - what's your view otherwise: "f@ck 'em, they're cripples, they don't matter unless you're actually caught"? Thank christ we have a local council who is willing to stand up for disabled access - if your view is an accurate reflection then the community doesn't.

I've been around unusually during the day for the past couple of months and I've watched the wardens doing a reasonable and responsible job ticketing people who park in the most dangerous, offensive and hopelessly cretinous ways.

I've also seen them be attacked and had their tyres slashed by moronic f@ckwits, who see them as a legitimate target to express their personality disorders.

As for you representing 'residents', you don't speak for me, and others like me who can't park outside their own house for fat-arsed chimps who can't be bothered to walk 100 yards to the shops.

As for representing 'retailers', my experience is that the only people retailers want to park outside their shops is themselves, nothing to do with their customers. There are case studies after case studies proving that making shopping areas more pedestrian/bus friendly drives up custom, but retailers don't listen to them because they know it's a false objection. The hidden motive is laziness. Most of the 'direct action' aimed at the bus lane was barely concealed snobbery.

"do we need more flats?"

Well according to government figures which suggests London will grow by 750,000 by 2020, we need at least 200,000 - 400,000 new homes built and quick smart. Most of these are planned for the lee valley and the thames gateway in essex and kent, as well as the awful prospect of expanding Stevenage *sobs*

Of course your environmental types are up in arms, and this does fly in the face of longstanding green belt strategy.

Lets leave aside for the moment that much investment is heading north, and for the first time we have a net movement of people within the uk from south to north, as that's what the government have decided to do too.

Sooo what's the alternative. Well it's estimated that there is an absolute minimum of 80,000 brown field sites in london, and we really do need to concentrate on this if we're to a) reeverse much of the urban decay we see, and b) protect out beautiful green belt land.

If we accept all this, then I don't think there's much call for any NIMPY pimbying "do we REALLY need any more flats" comments, as the answer is quite clearly, yes we do.

Lectury rant overwith, apologies. Have a nice weekend and hope to see all at the Hamlets, or at least in the club house afterwards for a pint.

Oh dear, a discussion where I may even agree with most of the posters, as much as it grates

I have ben done twice in ED by the wardens and although itr pained me to pay out, I was caught bang to rights both times Guv'nor.

The full CPZ in the Bellenden road area was effectively scuppered due to 99% distinterest and about 0.5% furious agitation by about 4 people......How dare they try to introduce rule that would reduce the amount of cars racing around our streets, and curbing ( ha! ) the rampant bad and dangerous parking outside shops.Remember people, the shops want to make profits more than they want your kids to run about in a safer environment

I am sick and tired of bleating and evasive sidestepping of responsibility from people, who park badly and then spend a small fortune trying to find ways of avoiding taking responsibility for their actions. I am sick of bleating about getting 3 points when "i was was only going 5 miles an hour over the limit".......such is the sad state of our society.

Yes to CPZ.Yes to a better East Dulwich. Yes to cleaner air.

dont let this reactionary guff fool you - these is an agenda here and it is not in the vast majotity of our interests as parents and resident.

as for the Shopkeepers and businesses ? a lesson from history - its was the small businessman & the petty shopkeepers that ensured A certain Mr Hitler became Chancellor of the Reich nearly a century ago.......

I have to admit to clearly being completely ignorant as I hadn't realised the ramps were specifically designed for the disabled. Wouldn't it make sense to double yellow that part of the road to make it clear to stupid people like me though?

To all of you who have suggested i have protested,need to read my post again.I did not protest,but i do not want motorists to be penalised over something that is not clearly obvious.The point of my post was to warn people not to park by the slopes.

Secondaly about the cpz i did say rumour i also mentioned a meeting about it ok

geh Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not sure how the introduction of a CPZ reduces

> traffic? Surely it merely displaces the problem.

>

> What is the real benefit of a CPZ other than

> revenue to the local authority?

fewer cars. fewer commuters. fewer traffic jams. better public transport eficiency.etc etc etc

the displacement + revenue idea is commonly mooted by the anti congestion charge cadre - but is a straw man im afraid. I could list the arguemnt here, but Im sure you can work them out yourself

Huguenot you have a right to your opinion,but dont be rude about it ok,like you i can post what i feel needs to be known by the community.We have a thriving community here and we are very lucky that we have a community where people know each other and say hi to each other.I know a majority of the residents use the local shops,and i would never dare speak on your behalf.God forbid

Hy bob i actually havent but friends have.Up until 3 weeks ago they were not fining anyone parked there,its only now they have decided to do it.

I know people should not park there but please, fair warning thats all we want really.There are double yellow lines that go round the corner stop then no lines,but then you have the slope.so most people would assume its ok to park there.I personally think this is how southwark are increasing their parking revenue.But please dont attack me for saying that its my own personal opinion

Everyone here,

Monica McSherry is INDEED a shop owner on Lordship Lane, and she also has democratic rights to express her opinion on this forum.

But best news so far is the Police Station going down.... FINALLY.... we should all celebrate for that, no matters what they put there instead ... >:D<

>>>Hy guys,i dont know whether the residents of East Dulwich know,but our lovely parking wardens have decided to fine cars that are parked in front of the paving that slopes for the disabled and wheel chair bound residents.People have been ticketed for parking in front of these,they are located around east dulwich,buts its only now fines are being issued.Frogley road is an example.<<<

Well hurrah! But fining them is not enough - they should tow the offenders away! Dropped curbs are for pushchairs and wheelchairs and scooters and the people who so selfishly park across them force such users either to make a lengthy diversion or risk using the road,

Maybe the pesky 'disabled residents lobby' have been complaining about people blocking-up their access points and the traffic wardens doing nothing.

I reckon you got a ticket, Monica. Come on now.. 'Friends of mine' indeed.. Out with the truth!

lol bob i honestly truthfully did not get a ticket i swear on my aunt bessies teapot.Simon i agree with you,however it would be nice if the dropped kerb had a sign or something for the motorist,with not a lot of common sense.And you must remember that the fines on the dropped kerb started a few weeks ago,and they have been there for a while.

Highway code paragraph 217

DO NOT park your vehicle on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop....

.... opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space.

So you should have known that already - there's no need for a sign!