Can we have a General issues/gossip topic?

dulwichmum

It is I who have spoiled the forum for everyone - with my idle chit chat/gossip on random - general issues, straying regularly off the topic. Yes, I have been flirting too - shame on me. I have a young family and smashing husband to consider. Could we not have a thread simply entitled - General issues/gossip - specifically for those (like myself) with the attention span of a goldfish?

Dear Mr Mikewbate,

You are terribly handsome yourself! Did you hear the dreadful gossip about Ralph Feinnes and the Trolley Dolly on the flight from Australia to India? It seems he really is quite insatiable, and I thought he was married too! Was Mr Feinnes at the BAFTAS? I didn't know it was on TV last night. Will it be on another station tonight do you suppose?

TheKiwi has his soapbox - perhaps D-Mum and Batdog could have their own 'icky flirt thread'? This way it would be easy for the rest of us to identify (and avoid ha ha)

Dear D-Mum,

You might be the scapegoat, BUT I am the culprit as I posted more than once something that has been deleted by the Admin. probably because it was off the forum rules... That's why there is an Administrator.

So feel safe, you're not the bad one... ;-)

I am off to tropical climate very soon for a good while, so the Admin will have probably less work to do without me around.

Long live the Administrator ...

Quite right, it's great being able to express yourself on a public forum, and enjoy freedom of speech, that is, of course, so long as you're talking about whether or not a bloody M&S will open on Lordship Lane!!! :X

I'm sorry, but I feel really quite strongly about this, how dare you delete people's posts, and tell people what they can talk about!?!? Fair enough if people are coming on here and being abusive towards others, that should be acted on. However, if, as an adult, someone uses a naughty word, or if a thread, after 3 pages, has drifted off the original subject, who cares! The topic is usually done to death anyway, and surely conversation should be allowed to develop.

Anyway, that's me sat on my soapbox. I shall shut up now :-S

Dear Keef,

I completely agree. I love the way the conversations develop, it is genuinely like having a chat, and often makes me laugh out loud. Let's face it, there is only so much to be said about fish/Marks and Spencer/and even Mr Crystalclears blind date! I love the witty conversation and even observing how a conversation develops about a morning run, or a kick about or cricket. These are not normally conversations I would engage in, but here - hey, Keef/Bob s/Mockney Piers or Batdog comments - and I am right there!

Batdog, please don't go. Tropical places have insects the size of bread rolls, and are best avoided. Did you see in the papers yesterday? There was a story about a little dog who escaped his carry case in a european airport, and was missing for a week! Have you got all your injections and a trendy doggy passport? Don't go lovely, even the water is dodgey.... (sob). I'll miss you dear heart........

PS TOP TIP - Bring your own toilet paper - even in Paris they are barbarians and use that dreadful flat stuff that can give you a paper cut.

Keef,

There's room for a little off-topicness, certainly (no need to get all NAZI about it), but to be fair it was getting to the point where if I saw anything added by Batdog or D-Mum I wouldn't bother looking at that thread "dearest lovely dog charming wonderful mum gentleman thoughtful flirt naughty wink wink blah blah etc" (re-arrange words as you see fit).

Which is a shame as: a)you miss the potentially interesting/useful/amusing things that Batdog and D-Mum might have to say and b)you miss the potentially interesting/useful/amusing posts that other people might have made before.

I don't believe in removing posts either, perhaps a little self-censorship instead? I'm sure we could always turn a blind eye to the odd nudge-wink from time to time - for old time's sake.

Imagine if someone opened an art gallery and lots of people came and enjoyed it (for free), then a few people came and painted graffiti over the walls and floor and ceiling and made it unwelcoming and said "it's a free gallery why can't we do what we want?". The (unpaid) caretaker replied "I like to keep this place tidy for everyone, I want it to be a nice place for as many people as possible and I'm afraid I don't want your crap graffiti everywhere as it detracts from the surrounding beauty. You may use that room over there, or that one over there for your art. Now excuse me while I scrub the nob and balls you have so humorously spray painted onto this canvas" and yet one of the hoodlums said "how dare you remove our crap graffiti... etc etc"

I'm with the Administrator on this one ;-) and I've been told that now he's got his rant off his chest he's going to take a back seat for a while

I've never been called a hoodlum before :-S I have got a black eye at the moment though (ask CrystalClear about it), so I guess I look like one.

It is, to go off topic, amazing the filthy looks of disgust you get when you have a black eye. People automatically look at you like you're a thug and a brawler! Normally I'm such a respectable member of society too :-$

You can't go off-topic here, Keef - you're in the 'General Issues' thread - hurrah!

What's your favourite colour?

Is there something in astrology?

Copper bracelets for rheumatism?

Well they did beat me with sticks as a boy... However, I dragged, clawed and fought my way to better things, and imagine my pride at "passing out" top of my class at the New York Subway Graffiti school of excellence...Such a special time :))

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You can't go off-topic here, Keef - you're in the

> 'General Issues' thread - hurrah!

>

> What's your favourite colour?

> Is there something in astrology?

> Copper bracelets for rheumatism?

1. Depends on my mood :-S

2. Er, there are several letters in it......

3. My Dad swears by them (tu)

Not sure you can go off topic in a gossip topic thread - that's surely why this one exists!

It is true. Keef does have one hell of a shiner at the moment. He was walking round the back streets of his local when he was set upon by some drunken fools. Seeing the poor lad was in trouble, I obviously helped him out, fighting them off and dragging him to safety. Sadly, I couldn't do it in time to stop him being injured (I'm fine btw). He was a bit shakey, but I think he's ok now.