Italian restaurants (lack thereof)

Guest Tim

We are very blessed with good restaurants in E.D., but how come there is not a single Italian joint? Can anyone recommend anywhere else nearby? I know we have Bella Pasta and Pizza Express in the village, but was hoping to find an independent.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree totally, there appears to be plenty food choice here, but no real Italians.

We need an italian imigration policy desperately ;-)

Also , I have tried the Pizzas in EDT ( awful ) Gowlett ( good but variable )

Two trees lounge ( best pizza in ED)

The Italian near Peckham Rye is OK, but Porcini in West Dulwich is by far the best - great food. Although, I would love to have an Italian restaurant on Lordship Lane as well!

yes, I used to live close to there. It's not bad, gets very busy. Lots of pasta dishes. I wouldn't say I would call it a good itailian, but is alright for a quick off the cuff meal!

I'm a regular at the EDT and I know that the new manager is revamping the kitchen and has just hired an Italian chef. If he gets it right this may do it.

[Moderator's note] - this post is by a fake person, the same person who posted this http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,27,231#msg-231 where they say "I had never been there before" which contradicts the statement above "I'm a regular at the edt", therefore methinks they're lying. They have posted five times about the EDT using fake email addresses. Please don't take the p*ss too much on this forum.

This message will be removed in a week?s time

Has anyone on here ever been to either the restuarant on Goose Green parade (not the Green, the Italian looking one a few doors along) or the French one next to the Plough pub? These both look long established but I have never met anyone that has been. Maybe they are undiscovered gems? Or a bit rubbish? Any thoughts?

If we're talking about the same place then the Italian along from the Green is shut now I think. It was called Hannah's and was really rather good. Especially the Valentine's night that The Green was in chaos and Hanna's managed to accommodate us. Never been back to The Green since, and never will be.

Just moved in round the corner from Le Moulin. It looks kind of run down but yes there does seem to be a few people in there every night.

Hi to all of you,

I am Italian and been in east Dulwich for ten years and I can guarantee you that there are no Italian Restaurants at all in East Dulwich. Whoever has an Italian chef, or cooks a couple of Italian specialities and claims to be an Italian Restaurant, is an impostor. ( Amsterdam is a classic example of such impostors )

An Italian Restaurant is owned by Italians and the Chef must be Italian cooking Italian food. Sorry people : in East Dulwich there are none of them.... Maybe some one with extra cash will come up soon with an idea...

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Max,

There is a new Italian restaurant opening end of January near the ED Police Station, it is ownes by pure italians and with an Italian chef and staff.

It will be named " Ischia Rossa ", this is a secret.... but someone who works there has actually start to leak it out.

So to all Italian food lovers....Buon Appetito....

Luigi

Everyone Beware,

This person self called Luigi is an impostor and has been spotted on similar forums just publishing crap.

There is no such restaurant opening near the East Dulwich Police Station and nowhere else in ED.

Ischia Rossa is the pure fruit of this person deprived mind's fantasy.

max

I agree, we do need an Italian restaurant. I have found the EDT to be very variable. I have had nice meals at the restaurant near Peckham Rye station though. The Magdala does good pizzas and they're 2 for 1 on a Tuesday night.

If the one you're talking about being near Peckham Rye station is the one i'm thinking of, it's really nice. i'm sure it's called Il Sardinia (just up from Bar Storey). It's almost eccentric and it feels as though the people who own it have been there for years. Inside it's all candelit and cosy. the food isn't 100% italian, for instance there's other european influences there like turkish starters etc. but a lot of the main courses are italian. i had spagetti with clams which was gorgeous. it's got a really friendly, homely vibe and had a lovely atmostphere when i went. would recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS! - Mon petit chou, the nice little independent cafe on Lorship Lane opposite Somerfields, will soon be open at night and going a bit Italian by selling pizza and pasta. They're in the process of applying for a liquor license and then it will be all go!

The place is simple, and could do with a bit of a spruce up if it's going to go into the evening market, but the food always pretty good and the service very friendly.

For those wondering why he's chosen to open late; well it's because the landlord has just chucked his rent up a ton and he needs to make some more money so he can afford to stay there. Best to go down and support him otherwise there could be another chain store taking his place (who said Nero opening didn't have an impact on him!?).

• 1 month later...

The little place by Peckam Rye station indeed does do pretty good, fresh pizza with interesting toppings.

IMHO, the unusual, somewhat confused menu could lie in the fact the owners are a very sweet family from South America, where a multitude of European recipes and influences have assimilated for obvious historic reasons.

You'll be fondly remembered by all if you can manage to order in Spanish or Portenol.

Top tip: Ring them them as you leave work, and have a piping hot pizza ready to take home on arrival at the station.