What's the worst/best bit of SE22?

Nero

I really do not like that bit of Upland Road across from Barry Road. It is so grubby and ugly, with shabby shop-fronts and grafitti on the walls and garage doors. It looks like something out of the 70s.

Best bit is the library. Nero

my favourite thing about ED is that wonderful concrete house opposite the church and grove tavern, on the lordship lane/dulwich common junction.... feels wonderful and aLmost like being in the country..

spymum - some history details on wikipedia Lordship Lane entry.

Actually, I'll save you clicking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:House_of_Concrete.jpg

One of the most architecturally interesting buildings in the area is at 549 Lordship Lane. The so-called "Concrete House" is a derelict grade II listed building and is an example of a 19th century concrete house. It is believed that it is the only surviving example in England. It was built in 1873 by Charles Drake of the Patent Concrete Building Company. In 1867, the builder had patented the use of iron panels for shuttering rather than timber. It is listed on English Heritage's Buildings At Risk register. Southwark Council has refused permission for its demolition and it has become derelict because it has been empty for so long.

Cheers all_star! That is amazing! (and I'm rather embarrassed that I never thought to click on Wikipedia, despite the fact that I've been wondering about this house for 8 whole years! Durrr!)

Why did they squeeze the rather skimpy 'copy' just behind it (another thing I watched with interest). And are they just waiting for the original to finally fall down by itself? Shame really.

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

I had been told a while back the guy who owned it had moved to the states and could not be traced... therefore the property is in limbo.. if its grade II listed it cant be pulled down, and if they cant find the owner, it cant be restored.. shame :)

i have found some beaituful pictures of the property when it was looking rather grand and stylish.. take a look :

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/east-dulwich/549-lordship-lane-1920-01.htm

(some other pictures of ED on there too)

>> had been told a while back the guy who owned it had moved to the states and could not be traced... therefore the property is in limbo.. if its grade II listed it cant be pulled down, and if they cant find the owner, it cant be restored.. shame<<

I live along the road from it and pass it often, and have witnessed its continued deteriortion over recent years. So for me this is currently one of the worst things in ED, if only because the current eyesore has such unrealised potentional. It is barely a shell now. I do wonder though why the Council cannot compulsorily purchase it and then lease it at a peppercorn to someone prepared to restore it?

Best bit of ED? Not sure if Peckham Rye Park is in SE22 or SE15, but it is in its own way as charming as the *other* large park in Dulwich. If it's in SE15 then I think I'd nominate what I was told on my move to SE22 was Dulwich;s "Bohemian Quarter" = Northcross Road :))

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I do wonder though why

> the Council cannot compulsorily purchase it and

> then lease it at a peppercorn to someone prepared

> to restore it?

I do like the idea of leasing it as a peppercorn. I have no idea what it means, but it sounds lovely.

Aren't there new rules whereby councils can force houseowners of nonprimary residences to restore derelict housing and if they don't the council can effectively confiscate the property. All to do with getting brown field redevelopment fully underway.

Could it be southwark could do something about this house if they wanted to but may be balking at the price tag?

*edited for shocking number of typos*

Hey Mockney piers,

Your words couldn't be more truthful, infact there are such laws in place but how to execute a compulsory purchase order or a renovation order if there is no-one to give it to? In fact the owner if not officially notified can claim that the council has in effect STOLEN the property That's why that house is stuck there, as far as we know the owner could be anywhere in the world, but you wonder why he/she hasn't re-surfaced in so many years ?

Maybe the owner is indeed sitting on the death wing of some USA jail. Hope not. B). Or maybe sitting on a box full of gold bullions somewhere in Brasil... and can't return to the UK for obvious reasons..

In the USA if you prove that the house has been empty for over ten years and the owner hasn't appeared during that 10 years, you can then move in and claim it. Or same is if you lived in aproperty for ten years an no one claimed it ( Ok this is general for many States but others have different laws ), I am surpised that nothing similar exists here.

>>Your words couldn't be more truthful, infact there are such laws in place but how to execute a compulsory purchase order or a renovation order if there is no-one to give it to? In fact the owner if not officially notified can claim that the council has in effect STOLEN the property That's why that house is stuck there, as far as we know the owner could be anywhere in the world, but you wonder why he/she hasn't re-surfaced in so many years ?<<

There are ways around that problem - and the land would not be "stolen" as the Council would retain the purchase money for when the former owner resurfaces - less of course any costs incurred for, e.g., rendering an unsafe structure safe again.

Best bits:

Photogenic - the view of Goose Green from Lordship Lane roundabout

Cultural - the sense of community created by Lordship Lane, a street where shops like A J Farmer can still survive alongside excellent restaurants like Franklins.

Worst bits:

The fact that in recent years Lordship Lane lost two of its most important cultural features, the ED Comedy and Cinema Paradiso. When those two disappeared, it was a sign that the area had lost part of its soul. One of these days, maybe one of the pubs will realise that there's an awful lot of goodwill to be had by being the comedy pub. No doubt profit has been the sole factor in all this.

What has happened to the Concrete House could have been avoided if Southwark Council had made use of its available powers at the time. The house was originally the rectory of St Peter's Church, when the CofE decided to sell the church the rectory was sold separately, the person to whom it was sold and who was supposed to be renovating it went bust and instead of serving a CPO then, which Southwark could and should have done, they pursued the owner through the courts despite knowing perfectly well that he had no money. It was in my opinion a disgraceful abuse of the process of the court and an inexcusable misuse of public money, everyone at Southwark who was involved should have been summarily dismissed. Neither the church nor the house have been properly looked after since and no-one comes out of this episode with any credit; this area of East Dulwich has been comprehensively neglected. The sight of the Concrete House depresses me every time I pass it especially as the house's fate could so easily have been prevented.

34 East Dulwich Grove

derelict and falling down - despite the 2 identical houses beside it having been restored.

The council sold it to a developer who has let it fall down, presumably so he can develop the site more lucratively

Worst bit of SE22 - gateway on LL. I dunno, just reminds me of sad wednesday afternoons shopping with my mum after school. Doesn't look so bad now though.

Best bit - The view from the bottom of barry road, looking down to the Church. Pure genius.

clare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> cinema paradiso still going strong- these days

> upstairs at the castle pub on crystal palace road.

> I think they are between seasons at the

> moment........

Shame the poor chap who came up with that pink painted colour scheme - it raises the hairs on the back of my neck every time I walk past there!

I love the concrete house, it's nice and spooky looking

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/292429624_34667af990_m.jpg

(6)

For me personally, the best bit of SE22 is, of course, The CPT! :)-D Say what you like about it, but I'll defend it to the end!

There are plenty of other great things about the area.....

Worst things.... Northcross Road "market" (don't kill me for saying it, I just don't like it).