"Charity" collection

Just a word of warning to anyone who had a leaflet through their letterbox yesterday for a clothing collection this Thursday that this is a collection by a private company (RA & B Services Ltd) and not by a charity.

I nearly put a load of clothes out for them before I realised but would prefer that my donations went to a charity. Others may not mind but thought I'd flag the issue in case you do!

There's loads of these leaflets that come round, mostly it seems from profit-making organisations hoping that they will be perceived as charities.

Better to take stuff directly to a charity shop, though more hassle of course.

>Better to take stuff directly to a charity shop

Which is what the council advises in this notice: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200098/trading_standards/233/trading_standards_update/2.

When you check the collecting company's details, it's quite often been fairly recently set up.

RA & B Services Ltd's details are at http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/2807aa8a8586eafc2098101f064804cd/compdetails.

I see they've unusually not stated the nature of their business.

Just a note that we've had leaflets through our door that quoted a charity number, which turned out to be where I work but had nothing to do with my workplace - the company was just quoting our number without our authorisation. So if you want to be sure that you are giving to a particular charity, it's probably safest to contact them directly and find out if they are collecting in your area.

Think this was covered on Watchdog a while back, I've checked for charity reg no.s ever since - amazing how few are from genuine charities. While we're on the subject, thought I'd put a word in for the salvation army clothes collection box in Sainsbury's car park - not sure how long it's been there, only noticed it recently. V easy to park up and in support of a v good cause in my opinion. Used to give to mind but after the breastfeeding debacle less inclined to give there.

Another charity clothing collection leaflet to ignore is from Valewall Ltd reg no 5640823.

Apparently they will "carefully sort out your clothes and make them available in second hand shops

across third world countries" or you could read that as keep and sell on anything that's worth it and bin the rest!!

They also ask that you put your items in CLEAR view from the road WITH THIS LEAFLET.................

MrsMc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Used to give to mind but after the breastfeeding

> debacle less inclined to give there.

xxxxxxxx

What breastfeeding debacle? I give all my unwanted stuff to the Mind shop.

Sue - see the 'breast milk stinks' thread for the full story. Reading the later posts it's all got a bit out of hand, so maybe unwise to resurrect the debate. Just a personal view - no bone to pick with mind as a charity, but I'd rather give elsewhere in light of what happened.

Agreed, and the MIND organisation were very quick to apologise to the lady in question, who accepted the apology. She also said on the same thread 'I also want to say that I think Mind does some very good work and that I do not want publicity to take away from this,

Really don't want to rehash the debate but would like to set the record straight for anyone who didn't want to wade through pages of posts.

tallulah71 Wrote:

> I work at charity shop and most of it is

> 'disposed' of....

xxxxxxx

What charity shop?

What do you mean, "disposed" of?

:-S

When I used to volunteer at a charity shop the unsellable things (eg stained, with holes, very very outdated nylon homemade dresses etc) were bagged up and the shop got ?1 a bag for it from a rag guy who came each week - not sure what he then did with it though.

Shame about the difficulties around knowing whether doorstep collectors are genuine charities - I have used them in the past but may switch back to dropping in to a shop. Does anyone know if the marie curie and help the aged bags are genuine? They have charity numbers.

sophiesofa Wrote:

> I think she means the crap unsellable stuff is

> binned

xxxxxx

But she said "most" of it????

Surely most of it isn't crap??

:-S