The Forum and the Fair - your ideas and help wanted

Mark

Tonight I'm going to see the organisers about how this Forum can help the Festival and pehaps have something in the Goose Green fair on Sunday 13 May. I've mentioned it before but we would love to hear suggestions and ideas people have of how to represent the forum on the green, from just having a table and banner to a marquee with seats and some activities going on. So to copy and paste from a previous posting:

"I'm thinking about having an East Dulwich Forum space at the Goose Green Festival, so I would like to hear your ideas how to create the Forum on Goose Green? What about a Speaker's Corner? How about a debating competition? Question and Answer session with Quaywe, Ibo, Huguenot, Snorky, DulwichMum (+ new entrant Jockey) and BatDog chaired by The Administrator? A blind taste-off between the different Indian Restaurants i.e. they all supply 3 types of dishes and people (ok, registered users) vote for the best ones. Then a drink-off where the local bars supply some of their beers and people vote for the best ones? Mud wrestling pit for the Mums? Stick the name to the face competition, a board with the faces of the users and you have to guess who they are? And an aftershow party somewhere nearby, I don't know where, but perhaps it could be sponsored by Upstairs at the EDT?"

Please let me know if you can lend a big tent or have access to lots of seats and/or tables or just have great ideas (remembering the budget is ?tiny) I'm sure between the lot of us we can come up with something half decent. Either reply on here or feel free to send me a personal message or use the 'Email the forum' link at the bottom of the page.

thanks

I'm clearly not to busy today! I think it'll be tough doing something that gets people at the fair involved, but have been thinking. Maybe we could do a thing on the history of East Dulwich up to the present day (we seem to be a knowledgable bunch, perhaps Huguenot could do a talk!). Then maybe we could have a debate on where we, as residents, would like to see ED going in the future.

We could, alternatively, just drink. (I also like the faces/names idea).

Dear DM,

Will you wear a mask to hide your identity , much like the wrestlers of old, who appeared regularly on a Saturday afternoon on the old black and white TV sets ????

do you have a penchant for mud wrestling, or are you simply carrying a torch for this Irish interloper ???

Dear All,

I think I would wear a small tasteful mask, and perhaps a rubber suit in the manner of cat woman. This would be for charity your understand, and only if I received overwhelming support to do so. I am prepared to give the man a pistol whipping with my handbag instead, if you should prefer that. As I have said before on this forum Mr Oldtimer, it is certainly not because I have any love for Mr Nesbit, indeed quite the opposite - the man is a cad! I would happily beat him for charity.

Dear Mr Oldtimer,

I cannot click successfully to see who this Shirley Crabtree is, but I can imagine what you are implying. I will have you know that I am not yet thirty nine, and actually rather pert for my age. I don't think James would like it very much though if I was seen mud-wrestling on Goose Green in a bear tent.

I have however a nineteen year old Slovakian au pair who is prepared to stand in for me (to ensure my identity remains a secret you understand). I have no fear of figure hugging rubberwear. How do you think I came to acquire such a trophy husband?

Dear Ms DM,

I am afraid that my morbid fear of "figure hugging rubberwear", has led me down a long and stony path....alas I have to toil away for too many waking hours in order to provide for my unruly brood.....but I will attempt to put aside a few hours on said Fair Day to glimpse you in your catsuit, whilst you perform your mud wrestling duties, for the benefit of us all....:))

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How about speed dating?

To expand upon this, maybe we could have a combination of "One Man and his Dog" and speed dating "Kiwi Style".......perhaps our resident antipodean can lead the way.......:))

Its on the 13th of May - so a EDF May-Pole would seem appropriate. We could all dress up as yokels (smock, straw-on-bottom-lip, IPod loaded with the Wurzels) and prance round in a merry way. I am sure DM has knowledge of the appropriate weaving techniques. For the maypole we could chop down one of the scabby trees on Goose Green - nobody would miss it, except the dogs.

Other spring-fair tomfoolery could be the usual white elephant stall - selling cast-off latvian au-pairs, apple-bobbing with real Bobs, an Ibo-nut shy and we could finish by re-creating "Robin of the Greenwood" whereby we all grap a person that takes our fancy and have it away with wild abandon on The Green after sunset. If it was good enough for the ancients - it should be good enough for us.