Police Station

simog

• 2 months later...

Now, I have just been doorstepped by a neighbour with a petition go keep ED police station open. I commented that I thought it was a foregone conclusion, she got a bit shirty with me. It is likely to put off potential signatories if petition weilders are not prepared to argue the point a bit, but besides that is she right - is there any point, is it something likely to be overcome by public pressure, is she a one woman band or are there other petitions out there?

I don't especially want it to close, but just wondered if those with more knowledge of local democrarcy had a view?

• 1 month later...
I am only concerned about what will be done with the police who live there now. They clearly aren't a very bright or capable lot and if we put them somewhere where they really could do something (eg. access to firearms, radios, fast-cars, flashing blue lights, Tasers etc) there could be real harm done. I thought that was why they had stables and horses there for them to get around - ie. it is very difficult to crash a horse! Indeed, if we could train the horses to answer the phones and take statements, we could get rid of all the coppers and people would probably notice a distinct improvement in the quality of service!

Perhaps they could hand over management to the Horniman, and turn it into an anthropology installation demonstrating what 'bobbies' were like in the good old days, complete with sound effects as you moved between the exhibits

"Hello hello hello."

"I was proceeding in a northerly direction, when the suspect..."

"It's ten twenty-six, madam."

"The desk sergeant has gone to tea."

"I must warn you that under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act, anything you say may be..."

I don't think I've ever seen a plod in east dulwich, except in the olden days when they had the horses there.

The people strolling about in their bright kagouls (community something or others) are supposed to be some kind of visual reassurance, but its odd that since they've been Lynda Snelling it around the bridlepaths of ED there's only been an upsurge in big yellow boards. Hmmm maybe thats one for the SLP and their super sleuthing ways.

Alternatively, Louisiana, we could have an exhibit demonstrating common modern-day responses from the boys in blue, eg:

"Wot?"

"'Ow do you spell that?"

"Wot you want us to do about it? It's a criminal matter."

"Nothin' I can do. I have to go arrest a five year old for dropping litter."

"I'm on me tea-break."

"Wot?"

"Wot?"

"Have you eaten a dictionary for breakfast or somefink?"

I saw a bobby on the beat walking up Underhill Road the other day - so they do exist. Presumably if the ED station closes we won't see any bobbies walking from Camberwell!

I have to say that I do see a fair few police cars - perhaps that says something about where I live! I must pay closer attention to the neighbours...or is it me they're after??!

You quite lost me there louisiana. I'm guessing s***ker? Is that a rude word?

I went through smacker, skunker, skanker and swanker (whatever that is) before settling on s***ker.

The residents association on the langford green estate asked the police to send more patrols around our way. I believe they politely said they'd do their best, but that there are 20+ estates in Southwark classes as severe knife problem estates and at least a couple marked as gun problems, and that our estate and the neighbouring champion hill one were relatively oases of law abiding calm.

In fact apart from a couple of speeding vans and xr3is, I haven't really seen a hint of trouble,

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You quite lost me there louisiana. I'm guessing

> stalker? Is that a rude word?

>

It is in my book (6)

Actually, the idea was to stop Google bringing up EDF posts when search on the word. So that strategy's blown :-S

Louisiana

That's quite alright, Mockney.

Anyway, the plods were not totally efficient, but not totally plodding either. They took it seriously, did the necessary (including tracing his car etc.), paid him a visit, and that probably really put the wind up him and it stopped. So all in all, very effectively dealt with.

But their organisation does seem to be byzantine: very difficult to figure out who does what, which is half the battle.

Louisiana

the plods regularly walk down my bit of Lordship Lane - they seem to keep the local sandwich bar in business ... that's why you never see them, they're busy with their sarnies. incidentally, a few months ago they were given bikes, and for a couple of weeks i kept seeing them cycling past on their Met bicycles. haven't seen one since, bikes have probably been abandoned in the empty horse stables. which taxpayer forked out for them bikes then??!! this thread rather reminds me of the Neasden Police Log column in Private Eye - they must have used ED Police for inspiration