Independent shops on/around LL? What a laugh!

Reluctant, I agree that there are too many chain stores however you do exaturate a little: Just because the likes of Mootoo and ED Deli, H&G, have another store it does not mean they are not independant. EDD started in ED, hence the name, and yes have now opened at Harrods. Moo too have another store in West Dulwich. So what. As for H&G and Blue Mountain, I wasn't even aware they had other outlets.

These are all locally owned and operated stores. They give something back to the community and are certainly not forcing locals operaters out of the neighbourhood. "independant" does not necessarily mean "one-store", it has more to do with the way they operate. You can hardly put them in the same basket as Iceland, Somerfield, etc.

Quaywe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Reluctant, I agree that there are too many chain

> stores however you do exaturate a little: Just

> because the likes of Mootoo and ED Deli, H&G, have

> another store it does not mean they are not

> independant. EDD started in ED, hence the name,

> and yes have now opened at Harrods. Moo too have

> another store in West Dulwich. So what. As for

> H&G and Blue Mountain, I wasn't even aware they

> had other outlets.

>

> These are all locally owned and operated stores.

> They give something back to the community and are

> certainly not forcing locals operaters out of the

> neighbourhood. "independant" does not necessarily

> mean "one-store", it has more to do with the way

> they operate. You can hardly put them in the same

> basket as Iceland, Somerfield, etc.

I read in the freebie saturday paper a couple of weeks ago (Southwark News or the Weekender?) that Hope & Greenwood now sell at Harvey Nichols, Waitrose and a few other places - I think they also said Selfridges and British Airways first class. Good on them for doing so well. I've seen their chocolate in Waitrose in coastal Kent and did a bit of a double take as it was far away from ED! Most interesting bit of article was that when they renovated the shop, they found out that it was once an old sweet shop as they found the old sign behind the facade. They also said that they started out by trying out recipes in their kitchen. As I can't afford BA first class, I'll just stick to Northcross Rd. Their hard work is paying off and I for one don't begrudge them.

Coffe shops aren't really my cup of tea (you see what I did there, ho ho ho, god I'm funny) but it's a bit much to say a Nero has spelled the end of east dulwich. There's clearly a demand, it offers a decent service, the coffee's even pretty good (I'll occasionally dabble at the camden branch if I'm feeling a bit peaky in the morning, whyever that would be the case I cuoldn't say) and lastly it's british, not some horror of an evil corporation from the US. So carry on I say, better than an empty unit or yet another pub/bar, and we're pretty set for curry houses.

We couuuuld do with another boutique of course ;)

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, one of the reasons you don't get more independent businesses opening up in East Dulwich is that the landlords who own the premises will only rent them to 'established' businesses. So they're doing more than any other group of people to make it easy for chain stores to open up.

It's frustrating, unfair and ought to be banned, but it's the landlords prerogative.

Quaywe Wrote:

> Don't be so naive to think that Nero being on LL

> is a good thing. Nero set a precedent that will

> make it easier for other shops like Starbucks to

> appear...and they will if we don't unite against

> them.

I wasn't that happy to see Nero open up, but to be honest it is a damn sight better than Blue Mountain (slow & rude service, exepnsive prices, very average food and drinks)

Jeremy Wrote:

> The slow and rude service is the worst thing. Some

> of the incidents that me and my friends (on

> separate occasions) have witnessed in there are

> just unforgivable.

Ditto

terrible place

shut them down. drive them out. no mercy for the Blue Mountains cafe

Quaywe Wrote:

> Don't be so naive to think that Nero being on LL

> is a good thing. Nero set a precedent that will

> make it easier for other shops like Starbucks to

> appear...and they will if we don't unite against

> them.

NO thanks.

I'd like to like blue mountain, but they do make it awfully difficult. The best thing that could be said about the service is that it's charmingly .. err .. rural.

Not everywhere has to worship at the god of american style service industry (have your product within 46 seconds with a fake 'have a nice day', or your money back) and I do sometimes like the more laid back approach, and am especially more forgiving when i leave london as the pace of life is often different.

But having said all that BMC pushes the tolerance envelope too far even for little old me. And last time i was there it was 7 odd quid for a cooked breakfast that I'd be very hesitant to describe as value for money (though the snag (singular) was nice).

BMC is a haven for ED mum's and their prams. It bores me but I like that they are there rather than a chain store. The Drum has the best coffee in ED but is too smokey. Bring on the anti-smoking laws!

Mockney, are you going to the G&B tasting on Wednesday night? You (and others) might finally be able to put a face to the EDKiwi name...