Forum Sponsors

www.clintonmckenzie.com
xxxx
www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageMobile reception in ED
Posted by genwilliams 16 November, 2010 16:15

Wasn't sure if this should go in here or one of the other forums - if I've got it wrong, please do move it!

ED iPhone users, what networks are you on and how's the reception? I'm currently on Orange with a rather decrepit old HTC Touch phone. My iPod just died today and I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting the iPhone 4 I so shamelessly want. But I'm weighing up whether I'd be wise to fork out & stay with Orange (and it is bloody expensive), or what the reception's like on other networks, in SE22 and SE15 at least. I live and work here so it'd be a pain to end up with a phone I can barely use. If your network has really good or bad customer service it'd be helpful to know too!

I've only ever used Orange so I'm apprehensive about joining the wrong network and being stuck with a really poor signal. Any recommendations would be really helpful. I've heard poor things about Vodafone but don't know if this is true for this area?

messageRe: Mobile reception in ED
Posted by dubluke 16 November, 2010 16:42

I have an iphone on 02 and always have good signal all through dulwich and very rarely lose signal anywhere in or out of london to be honest. their customer service is good as well

Posted by LUVED 16 November, 2010 17:35

Hi Genwilliams,

I'm with Vodafone and have been for yonks. I've got an iPhone and pretty much all the time have a full service. I'm near Sainsbury's and can see what looks like a mobile mast from my back garden so that probably helps with the good service.

I don't tend to have any problems with service in East Dulwich at all with the exception of the area near the Harvester when I'm lucky to even get one bar.

Love my iPhone but have nearly bankrupted myself with all the Apps on offer !

Hope that helps a little.

Posted by kamila 16 November, 2010 19:38

I have got HTC Touch phone on Orange and its just getting worse and worse! I think its this HTC that has a problem, also thinking of getting iPhone as soon as I can.

Posted by genwilliams 16 November, 2010 20:14

Interesting! Which model do you have? I have an HTC Touch HD (I think?), and the touchscreen is annoying, it's forever turning itself on in my bag, the software (Windows mobile - I know HTC are on Android now though) is dreadful and really glitchy, and the reception isn't great either.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of leaving HTC behind and finally getting an iPhone.

kamila Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have got HTC Touch phone on Orange and its just
> getting worse and worse! I think its this HTC that
> has a problem, also thinking of getting iPhone as
> soon as I can.

Posted by Townleygreen 16 November, 2010 20:17

I have to say the HTC Desire is the bees knees as far as I'm concerned. I'm on Orange, no probs in ED with reception at all.

Posted by Ellie78 16 November, 2010 20:28

I'm on O2 with the iphone.
Always fine in ED.
Their customer service is good generally.
Generally, I've got no problems with them but, despite that, I'm thinking of moving back to Orange - apparently it's faster internet on the iphone with orange. And I want the cinema deal. I never use any of O2s 'offers'.

With the other networks I'd think more generally about where you want to use the phone - ie, outside of London/abroad/rural. Some networks are really rubbish when it comes to that. Orange and O2 (the big ones generally) outpace the others by far on those points but they're certainly not the cheapest (there's little between them on that point).

Posted by matlow 16 November, 2010 21:38

I also have an HTC Desire on T-Mobile, great reception, very fast internet. It's also Flash enabled so better than my partners iphone!

Posted by doubledipper 17 November, 2010 09:37

My O2 reception in ED is pretty bad; 3G coverage is intermittent, too. Mind you, I've found that O2 has heaps of black spots in London, whereas my girlfriend's Vodafone mobile always has coverage. Just for fun Exclaimation, if you have an O2 mobile, try using it in Shad Thames. No coverage. I worked in an office there, and we all got iPhones back when O2 was the only provider, and none of us could actually use them without a 5 minute walk! I'm not sure why I'm still with O2; it's been 8 years, maybe it's time for a change? I think I'm just lazy...

Posted by Ant 17 November, 2010 11:22

iPhone 3GS on Orange. Mobile coverage is dodgy and getting worse. 3G network is beyond bad, laughably rubbish. I suggest avoiding it at all costs. I've been with Orange for years and never had any trouble until they started offering iPhones, after which it all dropped off a cliff - I think their network just isn't up to it. Shall be moving elsewhere as soon as I'm out of contract.

Posted by genwilliams 17 November, 2010 13:50

Is your girlfriend's Vodafone mobile an iPhone/3G smartphone too?

doubledipper Wrote:
> My O2 reception in ED is pretty bad; 3G coverage
> is intermittent, too. Mind you, I've found that
> O2 has heaps of black spots in London, whereas my
> girlfriend's Vodafone mobile always has coverage.
> Just for fun Exclaimation, if you have an O2 mobile, try
> using it in Shad Thames. No coverage. I worked in
> an office there, and we all got iPhones back when
> O2 was the only provider, and none of us could
> actually use them without a 5 minute walk! I'm not
> sure why I'm still with O2; it's been 8 years,
> maybe it's time for a change? I think I'm just
> lazy...

Posted by AcedOut 18 November, 2010 17:35

gaffgaff.com -- uses the o2 network. And unlimited data.

Posted by Gussy 18 November, 2010 19:00

I'm with O2 and get awful reception in my house (I'm in SE15), which is annoying as that's where I use it most, but it seems to be ok when I'm out and about.

Posted by SCSB79 18 November, 2010 19:03

Ant Wrote:
> iPhone 3GS on Orange. Mobile coverage is dodgy and
> getting worse. 3G network is beyond bad, laughably
> rubbish. I suggest avoiding it at all costs. I've
> been with Orange for years and never had any
> trouble until they started offering iPhones, after
> which it all dropped off a cliff - I think their
> network just isn't up to it. Shall be moving
> elsewhere as soon as I'm out of contract.

What Ant said.
I'm with Orange and love the service (customer) I get, but the 3G reception is rubbish. Unfortunately I am not yet into the second year of a 2 year contract so got a long way to go.
I've had bad experiences with Vodafone in the past and would never go back to them, so would maybe give O2 a shot seeing as they seem to have good 3G coverage.

Posted by James Barber 19 November, 2010 10:46

Mobile reception might be helped by the new mast being deployed beside the railway line next to Greendale - just easy of the raileay bridge..
The associated cabinet is so big it must surely be for regular mobile services.
Clever. Being on railway land it can side step planning permissions and the public process involved.

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by igline1 19 November, 2010 22:42

Do not get an iPhone on the orange network. The network is simply not able to deal with the demands of the iPhone. Apparently the iPhone uses 4 cells compared with other phones that only use one cell. Upshot is that iPhone users regularly get bumped to another mast or lose coverage altogether. Orange are also in the process of completing their merger with t-mobile but this won't be finished until next year. Also visual voicemail does not work on orange.

Posted by Ant 20 November, 2010 23:06

Quote:
Also visual voicemail does not work on orange.

Yes! They keep very quiet about that when they're trying to sell you an iPhone (unsurprisingly of course) but it's a fairly big feature to just miss out entirely. According to a guy who used to work for them it's because their network's just incapable of handling it, so it's pretty unlikely ever to be available on Orange.

Posted by Digby 20 November, 2010 23:28

Hi,

in Dulwich Village Vodafone just barely functions.. no 3G signal, only edge or gprs, and many times nothing at all

Posted by Marcus 21 November, 2010 19:38

I have an HTC Desire. Orange reception is really quite bad... terrible at home, in ED, and Fulham (?!).

Posted by Libby 22 November, 2010 15:32

I am on 3 and live near the library, reception has always been sporadic but has been almost non-existent over the past month or so, not sure why.

Posted by Sue 22 November, 2010 18:57

igline1 Wrote:
> Orange are also in the process of
> completing their merger with t-mobile but this
> won't be finished until next year.

xxxxxxx

That's strange because I had a text from Orange last week saying that I could now use the signal from both Orange and T-Mobile.

Posted by genwilliams 24 November, 2010 10:40

You can use Orange/T-Mobile's 2G signal but can't yet use 3G across both networks - that is due next year.

Posted by untamedstylist 25 November, 2010 09:27

I have an I phone 4 on three, I'd recommend them, for 40 a month I get unlimited three to three, unlimited skype, 5000 minutes cross network , 5000 texts, 2gig internet and never have a problem in Ed anywhere... And. Travel around Ed alot doing business which I'm forever using my GPRS on the phone... Customer service is very good although it's in India and sometimes they speak over u Wich can be annoying but just put them in there place if they do so and soon listen... Very Helpfull and quick to sort things.. Only downside is the battery is not great if u use the net or apps but not too bad

Posted by AD 25 November, 2010 14:12

I have an HTC with Orange too and the reception is ridiculous, I hardly ever get a recption in my flat and I live in ED. What a load of rubbish !

Posted by twinmummy 25 November, 2010 15:00

I'm on orange with an iPhone 3 - totally rubbish reception in ED. Pain in the bum as I work from home a lot.

Posted by genwilliams 26 November, 2010 12:28

Following this I went with what I know (decent customer service and uk call centres) and got an iPhone 4 on Orange. It's actually fine! Some dodgy reception on the first day but perfect since then, including inside my flat. I got a 10% linerental discount after threatening to go with another network so now I'm on 31.50 a month, and using our contents insurance to cover the phone instead of the pricy cover that Orange offer.

Posted by Tony Rabbit 06 December, 2010 22:33

Planning permissions for mobile masts in Dulwich has been very strongly opposed by local residents that's why we don't have any. As a result reception, in particular on Orange (whome I understand was one who was refused), is poor. The major suppliers BT/O2/Voda have 'beamed' additional arrays to the area from outside (example from Norwood BT exchange) and my BT reception is full bars. I have business package (several Blackberry from BT) no trouble with phone and internet connections. My brother has iPhone with O2 also excellent.

Posted by James Barber 07 December, 2010 08:35

Sorry to disullusion you, but Somerfied/Coop roof is covered in mobile phone aerials.
Orange and T-Mobile in the UK are merging into Everything Everywhere and will be sharing infrastructure. Some of thier customers should already have noticed this change and improved service coverage.
Vodagone and O2 are also asset sharing.

Both mergers should see more universal mobile services across East Dulwich.

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by Tony Rabbit 07 December, 2010 09:39

Thank you James. It's hard to object to a mast in a commercial / business area and the argument for same is also foreshortened if the (unnecessarily ugly) arrays are mostly hidden from view due to the large roof area and angle of view. However erection of masts within the residential areas and in particular on our schools (already refused planning due to strong local objections) will continue to be very strongly objected to and we hope that as Lib Dem spokesperson you will support that.

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 07 December, 2010 09:45

some of us hope that as Lib Dem spokesperson you will support the opposite view as well

such is the life of a politician - I don't envy you one bit

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum