Moving in soon - more about schools

Hello everybody, we're moving into the area soon so I'm really pleased to have found this forum. Learned lots of interesting stuff going through old posts. Sure I'll have lots of questions though.

First one! Schools! We have two kids - both boys!, one junior school age and one primary.

I heard lots of good things about Dulwich Hamlet Juniors for the elder one but I was talking yesterday to the lady who will be our new neighbour. She works at the school as a class assistant and she tells me they have just appointed a new head maybe with not too much experience and some of the staff weren't very happy.

Does anyone know anything about this, and if we decide not to try for Dulwich Hamlet what would be a good alternative - course there is no guarantee we would get him in anyway so it might all be useless worry.

Any advice gratefully received, the whole thing is a nightmare - living in Leicestershire, where we are now, it isn't nearly so difficult.

Jane

Dear Jane,

Could you clarify - what did you mean here - did you mean junior and infant?? "We have two kids - both boys!, one junior school age and one primary."

Where is your new house - might clarify which schools you'd qualify for.

I believe Goodrich is an excellent primary.

Dear Ms Janenap,

I must admit that I know nothing of the new head at the Hamlet - but this school is spectacular by all the accounts I have heard. Even if you live within the catchment for this school (as with Dulwich Village Infants - for the little ones) at the end of the day it is completely over-subscribed, so only the children who live the closest will get in. I do not know which road you live on, but first consider which schools you are closest to, which ones you are most likely to get offered a place at, and then assess the attributes of the individual schools.

Sadly, when it comes down to it, it is most difficult to choose a school based on the individual attributes and qualities of your children, as at the end of the day we are grateful for the offers we get in London - and that includes the independent schools.

Even with the funds to pay for the independent schools on the doorstep, their selection procedures are notoriously difficult, and you end up choosing between the offers you get - and few offers are made. Alleyns assessed over 250 3 year old children this year for approx twenty places! JAPS was similar, as was DCPS.

You could not get better advice than that of Townleygreen, - an absolute oracle re local schools.

Hello Janenap. Dulwich Hamlet's catchment area has got smaller and smaller because of the local birth explosion of recent years, so that inevitably its feel has become more and more Dulwich Villagey. Maybe that's what you are after, but you'll find a broader mix of family backgrounds at the other (state) schools in the area. Goodrich has the reputation, but Heber is a smaller school and completely transformed in the last five years. Some reckon it is now the best, and it is right in the heart of East Dulwich.

Townleygreen, Thanks for your message. Sorry, yes of course I meant junior and infant. We're moving to Melbourne Grove (God and the banks willing!). And thanks to everyone else for their comments and suggestions. I will have to sit down with a map and locate them all - one thing I want to avoid is having to drive the boys to school every day.

Another question - can anyone recommend a local architect who does extensions etc. Perhaps I should start another thread?

We used RDA - Richard Dudzkicki Associates on Lacon Grove. I thought they were excellent, helped us source good builders at a great price and project managed throughout to keep things on the right timeline and to budget. Excellent.

Living on Melbourne Grove I'm afraid you haven't a hope in hell of getting into either the Dulwich Village Infants' School, or Dulwich Hamlet. No chance whatsoever. A few years ago the Infants' School would have been possible but now the catchment area has been abolished, Herne Hill residents are now favoured geographically. This year, people in the top end of Trossachs Road got in at the last minute on the waiting list - but no further. I could list ten children who live in/around East Dulwich Hospital who didn't get in (to either school).

Have you looked round St John's and St Clements? Or Heber?

There is Dog Kennel Hill Primary school which is very near Melbourne Grove, up from Sainsburys and right by the very luxe Camberwell Grove. I have heard that it is a very nice place to send your kids. They take three to eleven.

Her's a link (DKHPS); couldnt find the Ofted.

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

Yes Dog Kennel Hill has excellent reputation. Your nearest school is Goose Green so do visit and see what your impressions are. My daughter went to Nursey there (9 years ago now, sigh, ) and had a very positive experience. No idea what it is like now. But look at both and don't listen to gossip from people who have never set foot inside either of them!

Good luck and welcome to ED!

Yes, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd like to echo Claire about Goose Green. My friend has sent her 10 year old to Goose Green and she has done really well. The school had a terrible reputation about 10 or so years ago but was designated a Fresh Start School - which meant the head and alot of teachers were sacked. The Headteacher Stuart May took over and is still there and according to my friend continuing to raise standards. Two years ago the school featured in the Evening Standard as the 2nd most improved school in all of England. The most recent league tables show that the school is achieving similiar results as Dog Kennel Hill, Goodrich, etc. It has a very strict anti-bullying policy and alot of after school activities, and a very good after-school club.

Many local parents are put off by the previous reputation but there has been a steady stream of local middle class parents returning to the school. I plan on sending my boy there as it's our local school and I know of others planning the same. Another friend of mine is a supply teacher so he teaches at alot of schools in the area and says it's a good school, great spirit. His main comment was that the equipment i.e computers and so on were abit dated and scruffy but otherwise he recommends it. I've been to visit the school and been to their fete's and festival with my friend and I quite like it. Also, the nursery has a superb reputation and has lots of new equipment and play areas.

Whatever you do, don't pin your hopes on just one school - some schools here are impossibly over-subscribed.

From what I hear, here aren't any 'no go' schools in East Dulwich now - any schools which weren't so good before have improved significantly and the Ofsted reports are encouraging. Parents seem to care a lot about the schools and get involved.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. As I said to someone who sent me a private message, I didn't realise it was so complicated (or competitive). You have given us lots to think about, and lots of schools to visit!