Former dairy on/just off LL?

landellite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I learnt recently that my great-grandfather used

> to work at a dairy either on or just off Lordship

> Lane in the early '50s.. Does anybody know where

> this might have been, or what's now in its place?

The library carries a selection of maps from various periods, have a peruse in there.

Thanks for all of your thoughts... My mother (who lived in a flat above the dairy very briefly as a young child) remembers it as being towards the bottom-end of LL, near the common, so the junction with Friern Road or the Landells/Underhill junction (coincidentally, right where I now live!) look like likely candidates...

Mr Green, who owns the Art Stationers in Dulwich Village, knows everything there is to know about this area and carries all the Ordnance Survey maps and has written books... you get the picture. I would think he'd be delighted to assist. I have heard that there was an enormous dairy farm in thearea.

there is also a house recently sold which i believe to have been a dairy just of felbrigg road down an alley at the north cross road end , there was also a dairy in lugard road in peckham until about 1972 .a great book for all this is 'east dulwich remembered' written by a local person cant recall the name its available in CHENER BOOKS ,with all manner of interesting fcts about the area theres a peckham and nunhead one too ,the dulwich caff used to be a shop called 'home and colonial '!! how very hip for ed in 1932 !

An update! My Mum says that the cows were kept in outbuildings to the rear of 50, Oglander Road. The cows were taken from there to the slaughterhouse in Choumert Road. The land and dairy was owned by United Dairies....Maybe they have some records??!!The shop at 50 Oglander was the dairy,My Mum says she used to help the lady "sort out" the price tickets for the goods sold. After that it became a sweet shop.

• 6 years later...
I know this is a very old thread but I was very interested as my Grandad used to work at united dairies around this time in Dulwich looking after the horses. I wondered if there were any links? A young man used to come and help him and learn about the horses ,he met up with my mum there and they married and had me,my sister and 2 brothers......ring any bells???

There were many who worked away from their place of employment, those that reported to the Dairy Distribution Depot in Melbourne Grove on the corner of Lordship Lane was the shop of United Dairies, the milk was brought to the Depot in churns to be bottled into wide necked glass bottles, of a pint or Quart ( 2 pints ) and loaded into galvanised steel crates then onto one of the dozen or so red horse drawn Carts, the horse once arriving at the round of the milkman would follow along after the milkman passed from door to door. They had trained to stop each time clear of the tracks of the passing trams.

Another Dairy Depot was Hill?s Dairy in Hindman?s Road here they used small box Green vehicles electric controlled by the milkman using a steering arm the cart followed him along the road, Later the Dairy was bought out by Home Counties Dairies Ltd. Our milkman came right into put the bottles at the from door and take away the empty ones.

• 6 years later...

Hi There,

I know this is a really old thread but thought it might be nice for people to know.

I live opposite Blue Brick Cafe on Fellbrigg Road and they are doing some work to their sign at the moment. which meant that they have removed theirs, showing the original sign below.

It used to be a dairy shop, established in 1864!

I'm guessing the converted house that was on grand design, on Shawbury Road must have belonged to this little dairy shop. This Could have still been running in the 50s and its just off Lorship Lane :)

I believe that Frien Road got its name from Frien Farm. I live on Landells Road and my house backs onto Barry Road. There is a small divide between our gardens (some of the divide has been claimed). I believe that the milkmen would use this passageway to deliver milk in days gone by