Shuttle bus to Denmark Hill

I have a suggestion for overcoming the annoying bottleneck between ED and Camberwell in the morning. The buses are often crammed to bursting point between Goose Green and Denmark Hill, and in the evening ditto in the reverse direction, meaning that between those stops, two or three buses may go by before you can squeeze on to one. Many of the passengers get off at Denmark Hill.

Here's the idea: what about a shuttle (mini?)bus that just goes between Goose Green roundabout and Denmark Hill? There's probably a constant stream who'd make use of it, leaving more space for those doing longer commutes, and greatly improving the links with the wonderfully-connected Denmark Hill station.

Another shuttle between Lordship Lane and Herne Hill would be good. Anything would be better than London's most unreliable bus, aka the 37.

Hmm, good to see this flurry of instant support for the idea, but how DO we make it happen? Two ways, perhaps. (a) lobby the community council, maybe via a supportive councillor - eg Robyn the tree-woman, or (b) somebody reading this who has access to a minibus just DO it as a private enterprise (but can private buses pick up and drop off people from regular bus stops, or other points on the street? I'll hazard a guess that they can't).

To ease some friction in the meantime, it would be good to encourage folk on the 40, 176, 185 etc to move right the way down the bus and make full use of upper level.

Many a time, getting on either at the library or a few stops on, the busses are congested at the front but have plenty of space at the rear / upstairs because some commuters lack the gumption to keep on walking after they swipe their oysters! Personal gripe that one!

This said, shuffling along is never going to fix the problem, i reckon a route that goes from the south end of LL / the library to herne hill would be nice also.

A private venture would be a great idea (I actually ran a night shuttle bus service at university which paid my way though). To work in London however, the use of the bus lanes would be essential, else there would be little benefit in the service.

A black cab share scheme would be the best bet for now.

I often travel from Denmark Hill -> ED around 7pm. Sometimes there will be a long queue to get onto a fairly full 185 / 176. Then an almost empty 40 turns up and drives straight past. The drivers logic is presumably that the anyone who might use the 40 could equally get 185/176 .

I've thought about this as well.

A few years ago the company that ran the 185 went bust, or something.

In the meantime this company http://www.bluetrianglebuses.com/ had some "spare" buses (and presumably drivers) that they used to keep the route on its feet.

Maybe a company like this could be approached?

Not sure what the spare capacity could be used for betwenn 9:30am and 5pm though - I doubt it would be cost effective to send the buses home in between peak hours.

Surely it would only be used by people if their travel pass would be accepted on it. Every now and then I get a one day travel pass and squeeze on a bus to get up to Denmark Hill but I wouldn't pay extra to get up there. I do like the idea of an express shuttle bus though, start at the Plough, stop at the Post Office, the ED train Station and Denmark Hill station.

People - this is a non event - seriously now - we do not need more buses on the route - I rarely have to wait more than about 10 minutes at rush hour if I go up to Denmark Hell - is standing room only on a 5 miunute journey going to kill you ?

extra buses will still take as long to get to DH, whether they are full or not - its the cars that are the problem. maybe a better solution would be to make the entire route a bus lane between 07.00 and 09.00- no need for extra buses, less polutuion and less congestion. everyone wins

if its that bad, then get up earlier / get up later and miss the rush hour

silliest suggestion I have heard all year.

I walk to and from the Station everyday, that and climbing the steps from the underground at E&C tube are about the only things keeping my heart ticking regularly.

Of course the gf and I have been known to get a cab from East Dulwich Station to the top of the hill when the worse for wear.

Cycled up it today and was nearly sick at the top ... nice. A shuttle bus is a brilliant idea. So often I shed a silent tear for the queues of people waiting to get on a 185,176 or 40, usually at ED station, who are turned away when the driver can't let anyone else on, when probably all they need is to get up to the more useful Denmark Hill station. I agree that in this weather a walk can be beneficial in many ways but it's a bit of an effort especially in the dreary months. Realistically, leaving earlier = less time in bed and keenly arriving at work too early or wasting time near work by popping into ... gasp, horror, a Starbucks or something of similar ilk. Could always jump in a taxi with Huguenot and Bumbalina if you spot them.

haha reminds me of this from lordshiplane.co.uk:

Camberwell & Peckham Times

SATURDAY, APRIL 28,1900

The long-suffering patience of the luckless residents in East Dulwich has, once more, reached the limit of endurance and a cry for redress of its wrongs will shortly find utterance. The withdrawal of the service of tramcars between the Heaton Arms and Lordship Lane - meagre and dear as it was - has resulted in great inconvenience to the residents in the populous district of East Dulwich who are forced to either breast the steep of Dog Kennel Hill, or ride by a circuitous omnibus route and intermittent service of trains to and from the busy centres of Camberwell and Peckham...