What happened on Peckham Rye Park today? (November 25)

Heard the same thing, though is a Virgin helicopter used by the emergency services? Or maybe they're renting out ad space... Cops had skate park cordened off, so maybe something quite serious, though it took at last 40 minutes for the 'copter to take off so couldn't be life threatening.

I have been told that there was a group of teenagers. One of them cuaght alight, probably from a smoke bomb or something similar. His very good friends laughed and ran away........would like to hear any further news as a child I know witnessed it and has been left very traumatised.

we were in the kids playground next to the skate park where it happened. heard all the emergency vehicles arrive then everyone turned to see what was going on, there was a naked teenage boy who appeared to be fairly badly burned on his upper body. we didn't see how it initially happened but his friends had tried to extinguish him using their drinks but this wasn't working so they took all his clothes off. firemen arrived and administered first aid, then the air ambulance landed followed by police and regular ambulances. the boys mother, (I assume), was also at the scene very quickly. It was deeply disturbing to see. By this stage quite a group of onlookers were gathered in the playground and the police understandably asked everyone to politely go away before they moved the boy.

My brother set himself on fire with fireworks when he was about 13. Him and his mates were throwing fireworks at eachother. He had to put some white cream stuff that looked like lard all over his burnt bits and cover it in plastic for a couple of weeks. He was ok in the end tho.

I hope this kid is more shocked than burnt, it put my brother off fireworks for a while anyway!

Poor lad, that must have been f**king scary!

This is why fireworks need to be taken off the streets. Sorry to be a kill joy, I love a firework party in the garden, but at the end of the day, age laws don't work any more than they do with booze and fags.

Lat year I was walking to the bus stop in Woolwich, and kids were throwing bangers around. I didn't realise what was happening til one went off about a foot away from my leg, I jumped out of my skin. It's just so bloody dangerous, and a miracle that more things like this don't happen.

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My brother set himself on fire with fireworks when

> he was about 13. Him and his mates were throwing

> fireworks at eachother. He had to put some white

> cream stuff that looked like lard all over his

> burnt bits and cover it in plastic for a couple of

> weeks. He was ok in the end tho.

>

> I hope this kid is more shocked than burnt, it put

> my brother off fireworks for a while anyway!

serves him right.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Poor lad, that must have been f**king scary!

>

> This is why fireworks need to be taken off the

> streets. Sorry to be a kill joy, I love a firework

> party in the garden, but at the end of the day,

> age laws don't work any more than they do with

> booze and fags.

>

> Lat year I was walking to the bus stop in

> Woolwich, and kids were throwing bangers around. I

> didn't realise what was happening til one went off

> about a foot away from my leg, I jumped out of my

> skin. It's just so bloody dangerous, and a miracle

> that more things like this don't happen.

I agree. They are like bombs in the wrong hands and if used incorrectly. They have been going off around here for weeks now:X

Just to update people. The boy was seriously injured by a smoke bomb in his pocket. He suffered 40% burns (3rd degree burns). He almost didn't make it through the night, but is stable in a hospital outside of London.

It was not a malicious attack, but a very horrific accident.

I was one of 3 adults who tried to do whatever we could. I hope those other 2 adults (and their kids) are able to move on with their lives, as this was deeply traumatising for all involved. It has helped me greatly to hear that he will make a full recovery, and that the fast actions of those people who called 999, and gave First Aid probably saved a young life.

• 4 months later...