Barbara Hepworth sculpture in Dulwich Park missing?

That's really shocking - I can't believe the lengths metal thieves are going to at the moment to make a few ??. I'd assume they would need to find somewhere to melt it down before trying to flog it for metal value? Or am I putting too much faith in the companies that buy scrap metal?

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's really shocking - I can't believe the

> lengths metal thieves are going to at the moment

> to make a few ??. I'd assume they would need to

> find somewhere to melt it down before trying to

> flog it for metal value? Or am I putting too much

> faith in the companies that buy scrap metal?

Too many scrap metal merchants turn a blind eye. They can do that because they aren't required to provide any audit trail. Transactions are in cash. If you want to help change the law, sign the petition at

Change the law

That is a huge loss to Dulwich. It was a beautiful sculpture by a brilliant artist and was perfectly positioned in the park. I have always been a bit obsessed with it and will miss it terribly. Maybe with the insurance money they can buy something equally outstanding to replace it.

It was announced yesterday that there will be a new unit based in Bromley which will be dedicated to tackling metal theft crime. Maybe this will be there first case?

http://content.met.police.uk/News/The-MPS-is-launching-its-first-ever-dedicated-unit-to-tackle-metal-theft/1400005417094/1257246745756

I really hope they find it, although as it's such a high profile piece it'll be either stolen to order and probably out the country by now, or it'll be melted down in a few hours and then we'll never know. Really sad, as i love Barbera Hepworths work :(

I am so shocked that this can happen, its a very important statue and monument, even if a certain estate agent has purloined the image and used it to advertise their services, maybe they could lead the hunt in recovering the sculpture...