Stealing daffodils from Piermont green

Mrs Y

I cannot believe that I just saw two adults taking a two very large bunches of daffodils from the green. I can understand small children picking a couple, but taking two large bunches, it has made me so cross. when I challenged them, they could not see a problem.

I remember being accused of picking daffodils when I was a teenager... all I was doing was picking up the broken ones.

So that they wouldn't die straight away, I was taking them home to put in water.

Things aren't always how they appear... :)

Yes Dullwitch I did the same on my morning jog a couple of years ago, but I got so many dirty looks & comments that I've felt too quivery to pick any up since then. :(

As you say, it's easy to jump to conclusions, but things aren't always as they seem at first glance.

Plants are for everyone to enjoy.. Parents should not encourage their children to pick wild flowers.

or those planted by local authorities.

It is Not ok for children to take a couple... then another child takes a couple more.. and so on.

One has to rememeber that Daffodills ate poisonous if not cut in the right place.

Daffodils contain something called calcium oxalate crystals Poisinouswhich is found,

among other places, in the sap of cut stems.

Read Here

If you have taken these plants and have ingested the sap and have become ill you will think

twice next time you decide to steal flowers...

Daffodills bought from florists come from Huge farms in Holland where they are bred for that purpose.

Fox

sillywoman Wrote: weed killer no flowers no problem

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hmm, still no sensible answer to my perfectly

> reasonable (or so I thought) question (though I d

> appreciate your comment Monica). . . looks like

> I'll have to rely on my own moral code for this

> one.

sillywoman Wrote:

> Hmm, still no sensible answer to my perfectly

> reasonable (or so I thought) question (though I do

> appreciate your comment Monica). . . looks like

> I'll have to rely on my own moral code for this

> one.

Best to leave them on the ground. It may seem a waste of the additional joy that you might get but it would only be you benefiting. And, whilst your intentions might be reasonable, your actions could be misinterpreted. It's not just that someone might get cross by what they think they see, but that someone else might interpret your picking flowers (without noticing that you are only choosing the damaged ones) as an indication that it's OK for them to do the same.

It's stealing - no argument, and it's wrong.

Taking flowers from a display bed planted up by council gardeners in Peckham Rye Park would be wrong - they're council funded for everyone to enjoy in public and not in private.

Taking flowers from a display bed planted up by council gardeners on a roundabout would be wrong - they're council funded for everyone to enjoy etc.

Taking flowers from the window boxes planted up by council gardeners would be wrong - they're council funded for everyone to enjoy etc.

Taking flowers from a display of daffodils on Piermont Green planted up by council gardeners is wrong - they're council funded for everyone to enjoy etc.

Growing your own flowers and cutting them is fine. Buying them from a florists is fine.

Around school closing time today i saw 2 children accompanied by a parent with their arms literally full of daffodils picking from the lovely display in East Dulwich Grove. Honked my horn at them. Shameless and disgusting. Part of the bed is decimated - obviously a lot of it going on this year - what on earth has got into people?

I love it when my old threads from 3 years ago are rehashed by someone else. When I pointed out to people that daffodil picking was an absolute disgrace I was informed I was being ridiculous. I openly outer a lady daffodil picking with her toddler on GG and made her feel rather ashamed at the absolute selfish attitude that a publicly paid for display for everyones enjoyment was being recklessly removed by ignorant middle class people who thought it was an openly acceptable thing to do. It's stealing, it's morally corrupt, and more importantly if you want daffs go and plant them yourself or buy them at homemade. Selfish buggers.

Louisa.

iceicebaby Wrote:

> The price of daffs this time of year is

> practically free! It's like stealing penny sweets.

Are you sure? Have you walked along Northcross Road recently for eg?