Public Singing

Hi All,

I have been living in the Peckham Rye area for around a year and half now and I think it is lovely, aside my general gripes surrounding litter, people leaving their car engine's running at all hours and music being played outside my house at an antisocial volume. Those issues aside, I am writing this post to discuss the man who sits outside Peckham Rye train station each weekday morning, singing.

Obviously we live in a free country and I am an advocate of free speech and expression. However, I commute to work from Peckham Rye by train and find it extremely annoying that I am forced to endure this man's singing. I have to say that the quality is by no means the worst I have heard, but I feel that it is unreasonable that I have no choice but to allow this noise to form part of my daily journey.

I am by no means an expert on the matter, but I believe that unauthorised busking is an offence and the appropriate license is required. This man may well have a license and if so, I will have to live with his singing.

I want to know if anyone else feels the same way and if I am in a minority of people who can't live with the obvious joy in this man's heart. I may be annoyed, but in a free country such as ours, I may well get a busking license myself and sit outside the station too, singing non-stop cher classics played 'delicately' on a drum that I fashion from dustbins.

Watch this space...

What do you suggest I say? and what do you think the likely outcome of the conversation will be?

I could ask him if he has a license, but then what would we talk about?

I am quite sure that he will not stop singing because I am annoyed by it and similarly, I am quite sure that I will not be won round to his point of view as I find his singing antisocial.

You miserable fucker. Some bloke actually singing to earn a bit of money who you probably pass for a minute and you want to ask him for a licence or tell him to stop. Your life must be pretty unhappy to moan about something like that. I've passed him many times and he brings a smile to my face.

He's actually quite good. Everyone (except you it seems) has a happy look on their face when they go past and it generally make the commute a nicer experience in the morning.

Shame on you, you moaning, miserable, boring, grey, sad excuse for a human being.

Aliborg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You Sir, have no taste!

I guess it's time for you to move from ed, you clearly have issues with the area and also yourself. Your the type of person we don't living here. Go and be miserable somewhere else and take your head out of your arse. I'm also guessing your single.

Love public music. Also, if he is standing still outside the same spot and you're walking to your train, surely you're not having to listen to enough of it to get so annoyed about it. Maybe you should wear headphones and listen to something else. Or would that annoy you as well?

I agree with LarryDavid leave the poor bloke alone, afterall you only have to listen to him whilst you walk past to catch your train so surely no more than a minute and if you don't like it wear headphones. I am all for busking, whether they can sing well or not if they're well into the spirit of it then that brings a smile to my face.

Bloody hell! Of all the things to complain about. Leave the fella alone. You're right when you say you're clearly in the minority. I also pass this man everyday and he doesn't bother me one iota. Put some earphones in and find something worthwhile to vent your ire at.

This thread is a wind-up. No-one would seriously raise a thread about someone singing outside a train station. We all have iritations to/from work. Jeezuz I hope nothing serious ever befalls you, believe me there's a lot more heavy sh!t than street singers going down. You're blessed if that's he cross you have to bear.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This thread is a wind-up. No-one would seriously

> raise a thread about someone singing outside a

> train station. We all have iritations to/from

> work. Jeezuz I hope nothing serious ever befalls

> you, believe me there's a lot more heavy sh!t than

> street singers going down. You're blessed if

> that's he cross you have to bear.

He's right - there are serial bloody whistlers as well.

Aliborg - I am no longer a commuter, so I am not familiar with this man's singing.

From your original post, one thing strikes me - that noise pollution is difficult for you (and I'm sure for many people, actually).

Sadly, living in London, I don't think you will readily find a remotely affordable place to live that is peaceful, which makes me wonder if you are a newcomer to city life? As a formerly rural girl myself (Cornwall), I can fully appreciate how noisy life in the city is in comparison with rural/provincial life.

However, of all the things to find aggravating, I have to say that a busker (however good or bad he may be) would probably be low on my list of noise annoyances. I actually find the level of noise my own children make far more aggravating - largely because (also as a single mother)it's inescapable. Perhaps your journey to work is the most peaceful part of your day and perhaps the singing man rudely interrupts your reverie?!

I'm sorry you're disturbed by it. I think the human voice raised in song (however inaccurate) is the most captivating, intriguing and, mainly, beautiful sound. Is it his physical appearance that you find disturbing? If he were dressed up to perform, would you find his warbling more attractive or quirky?

I'm interested to know why you find singing tricky, you see? Do you sing yourself? I sing a lot, and anyone who's attended my Sing and Sign classes will know that I'm far from the world's best singer - but I sing with passion and enthusiasm and it makes me feel well. I think singing has a major contribution to make to individuals' mental health - and perhaps this man's singing raises his spirits in a way that nothing else can. If so, then I say to him sing up and I say to you, sing up too and release the joy of song into your life :)

Trish/Fuzzyboots

Awww shucks Tallulah71 :) too kind :)

Maxxi *looks round shiftily* - I have been accused of serial whistling. It becomes addictive and after a while, you just don't know you're doing it.

Apart from when people tell you to shut the f**k up with the f**king whistling, of course.