Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk

www.inshutters.co.uk

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageOld police station
Posted by Lynne 12 April, 2012 10:45

Anyone know what's happened to the old police station on Crystal Palace Rd?
It's now boarded up. used to house some sort of special outfit, I believe.
perhaps it could be put back to use as a real police station.
Just a thought
Lynne

messageRe: Old police station
Posted by Bellerophon 12 April, 2012 11:07

Housed the Met's Firearms Investigation Unit for the S.E.
These have all been centralised now, at Empress State Building, near Earls Court
Think it was home to the infamous South East Regional Crime Squad, at one stage

The Met will be sure to sell it, along with all it's other fine old historical estate...
Would make a very secure private residence

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:04:13:11:06:21 by Bellerophon.

Posted by bob 12 April, 2012 14:54

Spot on bellerophone and they are still trying to close East Dulwich Police station on LL.
Bob S

Posted by Lynne 12 April, 2012 16:55

Thanks, Bellerophone. It would make a very secure police station!
Lynne

Posted by Norfolkvillas 12 April, 2012 20:05

Is this the boarded up double fronted house on the corner opposite The Actress? I have always wondered what that is / was!

Posted by galaxy710 13 April, 2012 08:45

I like this forum, he solved my many problems, thank you

Posted by Lowlander 13 April, 2012 09:36

What is the story with the one on Lordship Lane anyway? There is one officer I see regularly pounding a beat round about it.

I take it there's a problem with the facade crumbling hence the railings?

Posted by Twirly 13 April, 2012 09:50

Thank you Bellerophon - have always wondered what that place was, it always looked so suspicious with those reflective windows!

Posted by Bellerophon 13 April, 2012 10:46

In an ideal world, the obvious soloution, it would seem to me, would run something like this -

Vacate LL Police Station, which as we know, now only accommodates Safer Neighbourhood Teams (SNTs), the front desk, and possibly the odd Burglary / Robbery Squad (Not entirely sure about the latter, but do see the odd covert 'blues & twos' flying out of there occasionally). Either way, they must have an office each !

Re-open the old Police Station, which until a few weeks ago, was a functioning Police building, and re-locate the whole shebang in there. I'm guessing it's still got the makings of a front desk, offices, computer access, and the necessary facilities. Being a much smaller building,the energy saving possibilities must be huge.

There's a back yard for vehicles, it is still well located to serve the community (It was the pre-curser to LL, and is easily walkable fom the centre of ED)

And if all that weren't enough, if ever a building said 'We are the Police' it's that one
Sell LL Pol Stn for a tidy profit.

What do i know, just the thoughts of a citizen who has lived here on and off for the past 20 yrs, and who remembers the horses fondly...
I stand to be corrected on any of the above

Posted by AlexC 13 April, 2012 12:54

You forgot to mention that with your plan, the LL police station could turn into a Waitrose big grin

Posted by uplandsneighbour 13 April, 2012 13:09

Two houses on Crystal Palace Road near that junction are on with estate agents at asking prices of £900k and £800k
So it's very doubtful that the police station will re-open there - the location is much too valuable and anyway it won't get planning permission. Get ready for yet more 'luxury' flats.

Posted by postboy 22 April, 2012 19:23

The Met decided it would be cheaper to centralise again the Firearms Enquiry Teams as they were pre 1996. This means upheaval for most of the staff. No idea what is to happen to the building, have heard that East Dulwich P.S. will close due to the building on the verge of collapse. Or the CID from Walworth will move in whilst that station is adapted to hold prisoners or more of them.
Building cannot be sold as it does not belong to the Met to sell.

Posted by postboy 22 April, 2012 20:28

I worked in that building but couldn't hack the awful journey to West Brompton every day, which is where the Firearms Licensing Team is now housed, so chucked it all in. We, the staff, have no idea what the future holds for the building.

Posted by jimbo1964 23 April, 2012 12:26

Homes Under The Hammer?

Posted by Pugwash 24 April, 2012 00:59

I have heard that the proposal is to demolish and build block of flats on it.

Posted by uplandsneighbour 24 April, 2012 22:51

Yep, more blocks of flats - that's what I expected. Do you know when they're planning to demolish?

Posted by SebsC June 12, 10:26PM

Just found this from back in 1973 BBC archives, as featured on Blue Peter. Thought it might be of interest..

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by mikeb June 12, 10:52PM

@Seb - how did you find that ??

Posted by SebsC June 12, 11:06PM

mikeb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Seb - how did you find that ??

I didnít really - bizarrely a friend on Facebook who is a mad Dr.Who fan posted a link to it - as soon as I saw the house it looked familiar so I watched it.

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 13, 09:37AM

Gosh ,how times change .Liking the full description from the PC of the "police Rover motorcar " .We wouldn't use that construction now would we ?

Posted by Penguin68 June 13, 12:41PM

I don't think people used it then, either. But then, police in that era tended to 'proceed in a westerly direction...' rather than simply walk, as I recall.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum