Greendale Gardens SE22 - Community Space

Hi,

So i'm sure most you have heard about the space behind Dulwich Hamlet called Greendale.

I'm trying to get something going on there and I need all of you locals to help.

The land is leased by DHFC but owned by Southwark Council, so if we work together we could make something really special for our local community.

Including but not limited to:

Allotments, Green Energy Cafe, Chicken and Pig plots, Community Gardens, Learning Centre and a space for a "Therapeutic Garden", an outdoor garden space that has been specifically designed to meet the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of the people using the garden as well as their caregivers, family members and friends.

Please sign up, get in touch spread the word and lets get this land for our local community.

http://www.energyshare.com/southwark-greendale-gardens/

PS. If you know of someone else running a similar project do let me know as a combined effort would be even better.

Regards

Tom

Hello,

Firstly thanks for signing up and secondly to "computedshortly" - Green Dale is a road, but Greendale Fields are behind the road. These fields are leased from Southwark to DHFC. They were refused planning for relocation of the stadium and the rebuilding or several astroturf pitches, a block of flats and a BMX track in November and the land now sits unused.

Greendale Gardens would be created by the project.

It's a massive space and just using a 1/5 of it would still be a great addition to the local community. I hope this answers your question.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Green Dale is as far as I know is a road and

> Rights of Way are in place. How do you think you

> can take or lease a thoroughfare.

> Where is Greendale Gardens SE22 that is available?

I have been walking there for my whole life! (16 years) So long as i can still walk my dog at what ever time i like over there i have no problems :) I would be happy to help look after any chickins as I help look after around 100 acouple of times a mounth!!!

As I said in my opener, "Greendale" is fairly well known by the local's especially the keen green locals. Greendale Gardens SE22 is the name of the project. I wouldn't have posted online if I wasn't looking for help and interest on the project.

Please feel free to post any suggestions computedshortly.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Tom.

>

> So Greendale Gardens SE22. Does not exist then.

>

> You could have been more spacific by saying

> Greendale Fields is the place that is being spoken

> about.

> I am sure that this project could come into being

> , but it is certain that you need help in your

> task.

The space behind the Greendale cycling/walking path has been there for years - overgrown and unused (just like the cycling path years ago). I grew up in Dylways just behind Greendales and skated, biked, ran around the hills here with my sisters and friends. Then they made the astroturf and it was used for kick abouts and football schools (my son went there for years).

I think now they have the boot sale there it seems to have become known. It's a bit of land that hasn't been kept good for years so if you can make something of it then good luck. I'm sure there's some kind of ownership thing going on with it though.

Thank you Tom.

I can find the position spoken about, I pasted a picture of the Obsevatory in the grounds of Bessemer Lodge ( the Iron Manufacturer ) that was there before the area was built on, one of my sisters lived in Dylways backing onto the place spoken about. lower down I played there many years ago there was a Grotto with caves and a large pond. In the picture there is a Notice Board I think this is the place.

Hi computedshortly - the photo you have pasted is great - the observatory on the left is now where Bessemer Grange Primary School is. The school is named after Sir Henry Bessemer, a great iron manufacturer many years ago and also has a ship named after him.

On the right of the photo you can see a man walking. To the right of him is where the land is that Tom Disco is talking about.

I've signed up and I'd like to be involved in whatever's going on, so please feel free to PM me.

I'd also be keen to have an allotment here in due course!

ETA: At least, I thought I'd signed up, but it's not showing my name as a supporter. Possibly I've signed up to something else from the same page? :-$:-$:-$

ETA: Oh - I had to activate it via an email link. Duh. :-$:-$:-$

it would be wonderful if that green area could be used properly by the community.

there is so much rubbish around the footpaths at the moment, it is a disgrace and whoever is responsible for cleaning the pathways etc (as well as those who drop litter) should hang their heads in shame.

I've signed up. I love that we have what is essentially a field in the middle of our South London urban sprawl. To me that has massive value for the community & I'd be very, very sad to lose it so I hope any change of use would aim to keep (at least some of) the area's nature as open & fairly rough ground.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

Does anyone know what happened with the person who started this thread? It sems to have run out in April and I haven't had any replies to the messages I have sent, nor to the ones I sent through the related energyshare website page.

There are some new moves afoot on this issue, and I will post again here soon!

Thanks.

I must have missed this back in April when the thread started, thanks lepetitecho for bringing it up to the top again. This would be great, and like Sue I would be delighted if allotments could be included. Last time I looked I couldn't find a local (or not so local) allotments that was even accepting people onto their waiting list.