tube station in camberwell

This might be related to the original railway station that was located in Camberwell and was replaced by the now East Dulwich station; there is a painting of the original station by Walter Sickert (?). I have seen the painting but can't now remember where or where it is currently held.

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This might be related to the original railway

> station that was located in Camberwell and was

> replaced by the now East Dulwich station; there is

> a painting of the original station by Walter

> Sickert (?). I have seen the painting but can't

> now remember where or where it is currently held.

Are you not perhaps thinking of Camille Pisarro's painting of the old Lordship Lane Station?

There were quite a few reasons why the tube wasn't extended, and none of them are related to chip some of us sarveners get on the subject.

Back in the 19th century north London railway companies developed an extensive and profitable long distance journey business. As a result they stuck two fingers up at north London commuters, because setting up a local commuting service would involve massive infrastucture costs and only be proftable for the short peak hours.

South London conversely had very little long distance traffic, and so by default had to develop an extensive local rail network.

When the tube lines started to be developed planners became aware that it would also be considerably more expensive to install south of the river than north, because the whole are is one giant clay aquifer - it 'breathes' dependent upon rainfall (one of the reasons so many of us suffer from subsidence), and that creates havoc for buried tunnel networks.

Couple that extra cost with the fact that we had an excellent (and soon electrified) rail network (which meant there was no guarantee of high numbers of customers), and the plans very quickly got shelved.

I'm often confused by the resentment and sense of exclusion that generates - the "South London Tube Map" is a great example. The fact is that all of these places on the map almost invariably are well served by train. Many people are becoming excited by the prospect of the "East London Line" without being aware that this line will run on existing railway lines!

As well as all of the above Huguenot, I think South London's extensive network of trams (until the 50s) meant there was no need for the Tube to come here.

Personally I hate the Tube, it can stay away as far as I'm concerned! Who wants to spend an hour plus a day nestled into a sweaty businessman's armpit below ground? You think it's quick but what with all the delays, overcrowding and broken escalators you're often better off taking the bus or walking.

I take the bus to work but recently had to go from my parents' place in Bromley instead (train and tube). I was amazed at how much more stressful the journey was.

Londoners are obsessed with "The Tube". It's just an underground train for Heaven's sake! East Dulwich/Peckham Rye have trains to London Bridge every 10 minutes (Victoria and Blackfriars also from Peckham Rye), so what's the big deal?

On an overland train you get air conditioning to boot (on a good number anyway). I can't stand breathing in a dust from the tube. Wasn't there a research study done a year ago or so saying how travelling on the tube for a week is equivalent to smoking a pack of 20 or something!?

I'm with AcedOut on this one

look here at the timetable

London Bridge 12:06

London Bridge 12:16

London Bridge 12:26

London Bridge 12:36

London Bridge 12:46

London Bridge 12:56

London Bridge 13:06

(I'm not saying they actually go at those times)

I agree. Why on earth do we want a tube. Trams would be brilliant, the trains are ok and even the buses can be fine depending on roadworks and the traffic the otherside of the river. Maybe we think that everything should be instant but untill we all have enviromentally sound carbon neutral jetpacts with fast lanes and a 3D roadmaps perhaps its all about making the public transport system work. That would be something for south londoners to get excited about. As would extra services and the lowing of fares. I also contriversoly agree with the CC. Its in an area where we have the highest percentage of public transport. I with they could ban all private cars (obvious exceptions) from that area. What a difference that would then make to the speed of the buses. Oh Im going to stop now after succesfully managing to not rant on various related subjects on this forum I am wondering what enticed me to get involved with this one!

When we were being shown around flats by a ... ahem ... friendly estate agent (from the one that rhymes with farts) he said "Some people are put off by the lack of a tube station but the people of East Dulwich don't want one because they feel it would then lose its village feel".

Haha, love it Polly. I was shown a bathroom in a flat by one once. It was the size of a shoebox with stand up shower, toilet and sink apparently defying the laws of physics by occupying the same quantum space.

His description?

"Perfect for a professional couple"

I never even bothered to ask.