Blackberry picking

badger

And some wonderful planner/ horticulturalist for Southwark some years back planted the streets of East Dulwich full of crab apples. We've all been walking under a harvest of fruit for years and crushing it to pulp under our feet and some day the new lot of decision makers will rip them all out because they are "dirty". These rainbow crabapples make jam that comes in colours that you've rarely seen and tastes superb. There's so much pectin that it sets solid. Look up in a month and all that bright red and yellow and orange is edible.

Thanks for the links, badger. I love the idea of foraging and guerilla gardening. I wouldn't be so down on the planners, mynamehere. I have spotted some deliberately planted fruit trees on the Surrey Canal path as I whiz past on my bike. Will make a point of stopping to examine them more closely and report back. It would seem to be part of the Burgess Park Master Plan to have foraging trees/bushes including hazel, cherry and even mulberry.

If you look around this forum you'll find a couple of community initiatives regarding fruit trees such as East Dulwich Orchard Collective and Matham Grove Street Orchard.

If there is anyone else who lives of Tyrrell Road reading this, would you be interested in trying to establish a street orchard?

Alec

I've been trying to note the fruit bearing trees that have been planted along the northern part of the Surrey Canal Path in Peckham. From memory there are plenty of rowan but also damson and crab apple. The newly/recently planted trees will probably take a while before they bear fruit and they are getting a bit smothered by weeds. They seem to be part of a scheme. Will try to find out more. I just like the idea that foraging is being officially encouraged.

I think berries and elderflower are fair game, they're not that decorative so no harm in taking them home and making delicious good use of them. Foraging is a fun pastime.

My only exception to the rule would be holly berries at Christmas time - they are part of the decoration of the park just as flowers are, and should be left for us all to enjoy.

No probs with doing this, due to the lack of sun this summer though, blackberries are just starting to become ripe, in another week or two you'll probably have a more successful forage! Be aware that some areas of the cemeteries are cordened off for safety reasons.

happy picking! (and eating/preserving)

Renata

I remember definitely picking damsons when I was younger in Benchley gardens, near the forest hill road entrance. Although not fruit I came across a bay leaf tree in Peckham Rye Park on the way to the duck pond opposite the bowling green. A question in relation to picking, I've been told that if something grows over a private residence garden onto a public road or street technically one is allowed to pick, I'm sure it would be polite to ask the residence first but does anyone know if this is true?