boris bikes to be extended to southwest london

To be fair, as someone who has lived most of their adult life in north London, I can tell you most of the rest of London is totally unaware SE London actually exists, there are vague rumours of a savage land south of elephant and castle but they dismissed as myth. I only found out about it by accident by looking out of a train window. Turns out it is a very nice to live apart from the woefully poor public transport. No wonder no one has heard of it.

E.D has great Transport links.

Buses:

12 Direct to the West End. via Peckham / Camberwell.

176 Direct to the West End via Camberwell. Forest Hill onwards by train to East Croydon Gatwick Airport,

40 Direct to the City via Camberwell.

63 Direct to King's Cross for trains to the North.

185 Direct to Victoria via Camberwell / Catford and Lewisham

Change at Camberwell for Buses to Euston for North East

Other minor Bus Routes.

Trains.

East Dulwich Direct to London Bridge for the City.

Peckham Rye. Trains to S.E. coast via Bromley South.

Forest Hill. Gatwick via East Croydon.

What more do people expect.

Fox.

Those routes get you there but many of them take 40mins-hour; particularly getting to West/West End of London and relying on buses.

If I live in Highgate I can get to the City in under 20 mins and the West End in a similar time. If I live in Putney I can get to the West End in 20 minutes and the City in 25 minutes.

By contrast, the 40 to the City takes nearly an hour. 12 Oxford Circus takes an hour.

I could get to some parts of central London quicker from outside the M25.

The main difference is the tube... but if Dulwich had a tube, it would turn the area into another Clapham.

that's why the trains are so great! 10 mins to city from peckham rye

a further 5 - 10 mins from london bridge to charing cross, or get the fast train to victoria then up to oxford circus.

When I lived in tooting, it was almost an hour on the tube to the west end and you would wait at kennington for a charing cross branch train).

I find the transport links here far superior. (I have always hated buses tho so never do them)

People had never heard of east dulwich and would never venture to south east london when we moved here twenty years ago. Let's carry on keeping it a secret before the prices get even more bonkers and the dreaded chains change the face of our high street for ever ( I'll amend that to affluent chains as I like iceland and co-op along side our independent shops and the marvellous 'cookwank' shops that as a laydeee, I absolutely adore)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before on another thread but there was a plan in the 1930's to extend the Bakerloo line to Camberwell. The proposed station was even on some tube maps. It would be a real boon to the whole area and particulrly Camberwell if this plan were reinstated, but a first step could be Boris bikes in Camberwell, convenient enough for us in ED.

We do need to distinguish between theory and practice - on about 1 in 6 buses that I take (but I don't bus that often) the bus terminates before the originally flagged destination, most recently, yesterday, an Honour Oak 63 decided, at 11:15pm, to stop in Peckham. I had a freedom pass, but other passengers wishing to go further had to wait for another bus (as I did) and pay again. More frequently I find buses travelling into town don't deliver against their initial promise. And of course trains are frequently a complete lottery.

Public transport only works as a replacement for private if it is (a) frequent and (b) reliable (and I suppose © goes to where you want to go). If this breaks down/ doesn't deliver then people will choose transport over which they have more control - of which Boris Bikes are a (sort-of) example.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Saus01, I don't understand where you're coming

> from. A 12 min train to London bridge means that

> ED is a much quicker commute to the city than

> Putney.

Jeremy

1. London Bridge is technically in Southwark rather than the City. Setting that aside, I still need to spend 15-20mins getting to Bank, Moorgate or Liverpool Street from London Bridge.

2. The previous poster mentioned getting the 40 bus to the City - this takes about 40+ minutes

3. My main point was that, looking at two locations in similar positions in North and South West London, Dulwich isn't the easiet of places to get to different areas of London from. This is mainly down to lack of tube.

Of course I know LB is not quite in the city. But even doing the last leg on foot/tube/bus, it is still a better commute than Putney!

I totally agree it's not very well connected. But that's one of the reasons its cheaper than otherwise equivalent areas of zone 2.

Not trying to hijack thread....however do people know that there was in fact tube tunneling and an underground station dug many years ago at East Dulwich. This was never opened as the tunnels kept collapsing due to water. Technology at the time, or rather the lack of it made it near impossible to make work.

The lack of underground stations 'down south' is due to geological reasons. The Thames is not only a geographical border but also a geological border. Noth of the river is predominantly bedrock and other forms of solid matter, where south of the river is pourous material such as limestone and clay, hence the location of the Thames - water follows the path of least resistance.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Of course I know LB is not quite in the city. But

> even doing the last leg on foot/tube/bus, it is

> still a better commute than Putney!

>

> I totally agree it's not very well connected. But

> that's one of the reasons its cheaper than

> otherwise equivalent areas of zone 2.

Not sure I agree on Putney vs. Dulwich to the City. Overground and Waterloo and City line would get me into Bank in c.30 mins. All of this said, I am happy enough with the connections or wouldn't have moved here!

Angusvanfrehley Wrote:

> Not trying to hijack thread....however do people

> know that there was in fact tube tunneling and an

> underground station dug many years ago at East

> Dulwich. This was never opened as the tunnels kept

> collapsing due to water. Technology at the time,

> or rather the lack of it made it near impossible

> to make work.

>

> The lack of underground stations 'down south' is

> due to geological reasons. The Thames is not only

> a geographical border but also a geological

> border. Noth of the river is predominantly bedrock

> and other forms of solid matter, where south of

> the river is pourous material such as limestone

> and clay, hence the location of the Thames - water

> follows the path of least resistance.

There's a tunnel between the uk and france can't imagine dropping a few through south London can be such a huge Engineering problem! anyway why not start with a few bikes at camberwell I bet they'd be used

for the sake of a couple of mins ur arguing? if it was a question of making u late each time get up and leave earlier! it is possible. i love the transport we have especially for the early hours ofthe morning from the night before commute!

wot are the cost implication of extending these wretched bikes our way? r we just waiting for our turn?

It's in Southwark's travel plan to lobby tfl to get the Boris Bikes scheme extended to other parts of the borough. I raised it with James Barber on this forum and he didn't seem to hold out much hope. It would really suit me to be able to hop on a Boris Bike at Camberwell Green after I'd dropped the kids off at school and cycle to the Elephant. So convenient, so cheap, so fit, so what is the problem?

Alec

Saus01 Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Saus01, I don't understand where you're coming

> > from. A 12 min train to London bridge means

> that

> > ED is a much quicker commute to the city than

> > Putney.

>

> Jeremy

> 1. London Bridge is technically in Southwark

> rather than the City. Setting that aside, I still

> need to spend 15-20mins getting to Bank, Moorgate

> or Liverpool Street from London Bridge.

> 2. The previous poster mentioned getting the 40

> bus to the City - this takes about 40+ minutes

> 3. My main point was that, looking at two

> locations in similar positions in North and South

> West London, Dulwich isn't the easiet of places to

> get to different areas of London from. This is

> mainly down to lack of tube.

how are you getting from London Bridge to Bank? Crawling?

It takes 5 minutes to walk across London Bridge to Bank Station. You can be in the heart of the City in under half an hour- easily.

You can get the Charing Cross Train 2 stops from London Bridge, which takes 5-10 mins to be in the heart of the West End (again- full journey, less than half and hour).

titch juicy Wrote:

> It takes 5 minutes to walk across London Bridge to

> Bank Station.

From the end of the bridge, perhaps. From Platform 15? No chance.

I do that walk every day, and overtake most by virtue of long legs, but allow 15 minutes from the platform to my office, which is marginally closer than Bank station.