Forum Sponsors

www.lilasjewels.co.uk
xxxx
Pippa's Guardians

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14
messageRe: Tuesday Tipplers Book Club - newbies welcome
Posted by susan_ January 20, 07:39PM

Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday (:

Here’s the list for our February meeting on the theme historical fiction
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
Cora is a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia. All the slaves lead a hellish existence, but Cora has it worse than most; she is an outcast even among her fellow Africans and she is approaching womanhood, where it is clear even greater pain awaits. When Caesar, a slave recently arrived from Virginia, tells her about the Underground Railroad, they take the perilous decision to escape to the North. In Whitehead's razor-sharp imagining of the antebellum South, the Underground Railroad has assumed a physical form: a dilapidated box car pulled along subterranean tracks by a steam locomotive, picking up fugitives wherever it can.

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
Based on one of America's most notorious real-life scandals, in which Georgia Tann, director of a Memphis-based adoption organization, kidnapped and sold poor children to wealthy families all over the country, Before We Were Yours is a riveting, wrenching and ultimately uplifting tale.

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
In an enthralling new historical novel from national bestselling author Kate Quinn, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
Hannah's vivid depiction of a struggling family begins as a young father and POW returns from Vietnam, suffering from PTSD. The Allbright family, barely making ends meet in 1974, moves from Seattle to the untamed wilderness of Kaneq, Alaska, to claim a parcel of land left to Ernt by a slain Army buddy.

Posted by susan_ January 22, 06:40PM

Hey gang, are people coming out this evening? I’m delayed on my way home from work due to snow so not sure what it’s like in Peckham/ ED.....I don’t want to wander down if no one else is able to come out (:
Nb - I have had votes by PM from Cat who is out of town

Posted by JenniferJ January 22, 06:54PM

I have come down with a sore throat bug thing which I am now on medication for 😕
Not going to spread my germs and come along tonight.
Sorry. Was looking forward to this one.
Jen x

Posted by susan_ January 22, 06:59PM

Oh sorry you’re sick Jen, take care of yourself (:

Anyone else?

Posted by JenniferJ February 06, 05:07PM

Hi Susan et al

Feeling much better, sorry to have missed the last meet-up. Any update on the next meeting and book choice?

Jen x

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314
Current Page: 14 of 14

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum