Peckham to the Southbank Centre Sat Jan 25th 10am till 12 noon

Sally Eva

For the arty cyclist (I know there are lots of you, can't be just me) this is a lovely, easy-paced, two-hour ride to the art capital on the south bank. The ride starts and finishes at Peckham Square (by Peckham Library and Peckham Pulse Leisure Centre, SE15 5JR).

It's a quiet, nine-mile circuit with plenty of time to stop at places of interest over a 2 hour ride. The group will set out down the Canal Path to join CW1 (was Quietway 1) and follow this excellent route to Blackfriars Road. If you don't know Cycleway 1 the ride is worthwhile just to experience what good routes are right on our doorstep. I usually go straight across Blackfriars Road and follow Cycleway 1 to Lower Ground. The group will go up Blackfriars and then turn down along the south bank and past the National theatre, the Royal Festival Hall and the London Eye to Westminster Bridge.

As they turn for home the group will use the (newish) cycle lanes and crossing on the hotel on the roundabout (GLC as was) to get briefly on to Westminster Bridge Rd then turn down Lower Marsh then at the Old Vic pick up a short bit of Cycleway 1 to Blackfriars Rd. Turn south along Cycleway 6 towards the Elephant and Castle and take the Western Bypass route the bypass is another bit well worth knowing) to Heygate St, then link through to CW17 back to Burgess Park, the Canal Path and our starting point in Peckham Square. I'm sorry if all that seems confusing (to me too) -- the map is here:

All these rides are organised by Bruce Lynn and friends for Southwark Cyclists. They are all free and more-or-less free from rules. You can live anywhere you like and belong to any cycling group you like (or none). We are the borough branch of the London Cycling Campaign. Our website is here: https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk and you can mail us on [email protected], tweet @southwarkcycle or text Bruce on 07729 279 945. No need to book, just turn up.