We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

https://www.gokayfitness.com/3-months-body-transformation

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 20
messageRe: Wednesday night book club.
Posted by Chick 04 May, 2012 06:56

Greetings book clubbers, hope you are all enjoying this monthís book. I managed to finish The Poison Wood Bible and should be finished Heart of Darkness in time, which is a great read, who recommended it?

My self and Pat will be taking telescopes to Strakers Rd Peckham Rye to look at Venus for the last time for a while, the moon and Saturn. We will meet at 8.30 Tuesday 8th May in the car park (by the recycling bins) so please feel free to come along.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2012:05:04:07:06:09 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 08 May, 2012 13:26

Just a reminder see you tomorrow I think tonight will be too cloudy.

Posted by Chick 08 May, 2012 19:22

Nope tonight is looking good for astronomy.

Posted by Chick 08 May, 2012 19:46

It is too cloudy

Posted by Chick 11 May, 2012 11:46

Greetings book clubbers,

Thanks to everyone who came to another very good meeting last Wednesday. And welcome Chloe. The next book is The Shipping News by E Annie Proulx. A brief synopsis:

The story centers on Quoyle, a newspaper pressroom worker from upstate New York whose father emigrated from Newfoundland. Shortly after his parents' suicide, Quoyle's unfaithful and abusive wife Petal leaves town and attempts to sell their two daughters to sex traffickers. Soon thereafter, Petal and her lover are killed in a car accident; the young girl is located by police and returned to Quoyle. Despite his daughters' safe return, Quoyle's life is collapsing, and his paternal aunt, Agnis Hamm, convinces him to return to Newfoundland for a new beginning. They return to their ancestral home on Quoyle's Point.
He obtains work as a traffic accident reporter for the Gammy Bird, the local newspaper in Killick-Claw, a small town. The Gammy Bird's editor also asks him to document the shipping news, arrivals and departures from the local port, which soon grows into Quoyle's signature articles on boats of interest in the harbour.
Quoyle gradually makes friends within the community, learns about his own troubled family background, and begins a relationship with a local woman, Wavey. Quoyle's growth in confidence and emotional strength, as well as his ability to be comfortable in a loving relationship, become the book's main focus. Quoyle learns deep and disturbing secrets about his ancestors that emerge in strange ways.

Date for next meeting is 20th June at the Clockhouse.

I am going to arrange a showing of Apocalypse Now some time in the near future in the Clockhouse which would be interesting after our last book. Let me know if you are interested please.

Hoots & hugs

Chick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2012:05:14:15:17:25 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 14 May, 2012 15:14

Please note change of date.

Posted by Chick 15 May, 2012 22:31

Hi,

Just for information. We are a small book group who meet in the Clockhouse in general every second Wednesday of the month. We are very informal & friendly and just like to read books and drink beer or wine. We also do other things outside the book group. We once went to the following: an exhibition of Indian Mogul art dating from 1500 to today, a surveillance & photography exhibition at the Tate Modern and a trip with an architect to the new Jubilee line stations, all designed by different architects and all wonderful structures. It wasnít train spotting I promise. Some of us go in for astronomy & ale when conditions are right.

We always have lots of room and everyone is welcome.

There is another fine book group in East Dulwich, The Green and Blue. Both of us are on the EDF.

Feel free to join and check previous postings for a flavour of the books we read.

Cheers

Chick

PS if you want to go on the email list pm me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:05:16:11:43:52 by Chick.

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 07 June, 2012 12:17

Just finished The Shipping News and loved it. Looking forward to the discussion.

Posted by Chick 08 June, 2012 13:18

Good. I finished too and it was a cracking read. Looking forward to 20th.

Posted by db888 11 June, 2012 20:29

Hi there, hope it's ok to join your book club?? Speed reading the Shipping News, and see you on the 20th! Cheers Danielle

Posted by Chick 12 June, 2012 01:08

Yes tons of room, hope to see you on 20th.

Posted by Lumas 12 June, 2012 22:42

Hi I am interested in joining your book club - could you let me know when and where and which book and if you have room?!
Thank you
Lucie

Posted by shirleyb 14 June, 2012 21:27

hi, when is your next meeting and what are you reading ? thanks in advance. Shirly

Posted by Chick 14 June, 2012 22:00

Hi Shirly,

Next meeting is next Wednesday 20th in the Clockhouse at 7.30-8.00 and the book is The Shipping News by E Annie Proulx. Please feel free to join us, doesn't matter if you haven't read the book, there is always next months.

Posted by Chick 16 June, 2012 09:30

Greetings,

Just a reminder that the book group is meeting this Wednesday at the Clockhouse starting 7.30~8.00. See you there.

Cheers

Chick

Posted by Chick 21 June, 2012 13:28

Greetings book clubbers. Thanks to everyone who came last night and made it such a good meeting. And a big welcome to Michael. The next book is No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod:

Alistair MacLeod musters all of the skill and grace that have won him an international following to give us No Great Mischief, the story of a fiercely loyal family and the tradition that drives it.

Generations after their forebears went into exile, the MacDonalds still face seemingly unmitigated hardships and cruelties of life. Alexander, orphaned as a child by a horrific tragedy, has nevertheless gained some success in the world. Even his older brother, Calum, a nearly destitute alcoholic living on Toronto's skid row, has been scarred by another tragedy. But, like all his clansman, Alexander is sustained by a family history that seems to run through his veins. And through these lovingly recounted stories-wildly comic or heartbreakingly tragic-we discover the hope against hope upon which every family must sometimes rely.

A more thorough review:

[www.guardian.co.uk]

The next meeting is either July 11th or 18th, I will confirm this next week.

PS I was totally wrong about the Irish element of this book.

Hoots & hugs.

Chick

Posted by Chick 27 June, 2012 07:00

The next meeting is on Wednesday 11th July 7.30~8.00 start in the Clockhouse. See you there.

Posted by Chick 05 July, 2012 06:36

Just a reminder, less than one week to go.

Posted by Chick 09 July, 2012 16:55

Hi folks,

Just a reminder that we are meeting this Wednesday 7.30 onwards at the Clockhouse.

See you there.

Cheers

Chick.

Posted by Chick 13 July, 2012 12:26

Greetings book clubbers,

Many thanks to every one who came to a brilliant meeting on Wednesday. And a big welcome to Leah, Carina & Sarah.

Next months book is Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marques.

I canít find a short review so here is a link.

[www.tygersofwrath.com]

My apologies to any one who got spammed, my account was hacked into. Great to see everybody and I look forward to the August meeting. The only date I can make is 15th so I hope that suits everybody.

Hoots

Chick

Posted by EJTH 17 July, 2012 18:53

Hi Just moved to ED and looking for a book group. Is this group accepting new members? If so, when and where do you meet? I see you have the next book already - Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marques so I can get cracking on that!

Thanks
Jane

Posted by Chick 17 July, 2012 20:32

Hi Jane,
Next meeting is in the Clockhouse at the Rye end of Barry Rd. on the 15th August so just turn up. If you send me an email address Iíll put you on the list.

Cheers

Chick

Posted by fleurdelys 17 July, 2012 23:14

Hi, Id love to join your bookclub too! Is it Gabriel Garcia Marquez who you are reading next? He's one of my favourite writers so it sounds perfect!

Posted by Chick 18 July, 2012 20:41

Greetings book clubbers,

So who wants to come to the Science Museum this Sunday to visit the Alan Turing exhibition? I propose to meet at Peckham Rye station at 1.00pm Sunday. The train to London Bridge leaves at 1.10.

Or we could meet there. Bring your friends if you wish.

[www.sciencemuseum.org.uk]

Afterwards there is some kind of world music festival on the South Bank. I donít have any details but its nice for a walk and there are good food places and the odd beer bar.

Please let me know if you are coming.

Fleurdelys- please do come along to this event if you can or to the book group, you are more than welcome. PM me your email and I will put you on the list if you wish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:07:18:20:45:05 by Chick.

Posted by badger 23 July, 2012 19:15

Awesome trip out yesterday - thanks for organising Chick!

Posted by Chick 23 July, 2012 20:10

Thanks to everyone who came yesterday, small exhibition but well worth the trip. And beers after followed by fish & chips in the awesome chippy. Iíll have a look at a trip to Bletchley Park. Cheers Chick

Posted by Spooks12 30 July, 2012 12:24

I think we should go to the Horniman next to see the Body Adorned Exhibition.

Posted by Chick 31 July, 2012 17:26

Spooks12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think we should go to the Horniman next to see
> the Body Adorned Exhibition.

I would be up for this followed by fish & chips in the great new chippy in East Dulwich Rd., followed by beers. The Horniman is always worth a visit especially the aquarium.

Unfortunately I donít have a free weekend until 15th September. Checked the website and it doesnít give out much info so Spooks can you tell us more about it?

Posted by katie1997 07 August, 2012 23:30

Hi ya Chick et al,

I'm a bit behind. Finished the Shipping News at the weekend, it took me a while to get into but by the middle I really enjoyed it. Whoever suggested it, cheers.

Am following your book choices - and this thread- from the middle of a field in Naaarfolk smiling smiley

Skipped No Great Mischief to Love in a time of Cholera which I have just started. What are the dates for Horniman Exhibition, will try to make it along if poss, K xx

Posted by Chick 08 August, 2012 17:53

Glad you are keeping up, will let you know dates for the Horniman after the next meeting.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 20

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum