Forum Sponsors

Pippa's Guardians

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19
messageRe: Wednesday night book club.
Posted by Chick 30 September, 2013 10:33

Greetings everybody,

In the end I couldn’t finish NW. The style of writing changed and I hated it, I wanted to burn the thing.

The Blake room is booked on the 16th so we have booked the snub area downstairs. Emily & Christiene, hope you enjoyed your first meeting and that it wasn’t too weird in the beginning!

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by mustardandwine 05 October, 2013 22:52

Hi

I haven't been before but would like to come along to the next one if that's ok

I'm having trouble finding the book though, is that definitely the title?

Sara

Posted by Chick 07 October, 2013 12:23

Sara,

My mistake, it's called "Code of the Woosters" and it's quite funny. Hope to see you on the 16th.

Posted by Chick 08 October, 2013 14:56

Dear Book clubbers,

Just a reminder of our meeting next week in the Clockhouse at 8.00pm in the snug bar downstairs.

I have another 10 Wodehouse books and I do not propose doing any more unless individuals want along side whatever book we choose for November. So if you want a Wodehouse book email me please. I must admit to my surprise I enjoyed it and will read the next one alongside the mainstream book.

Any of the new people who expressed an interest in coming please just turn up, we don’t bite!

Hoots & hugs,

Chick.

Posted by Chick 15 October, 2013 12:39

Just a reminder, see you all tomorrow.

Chick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:10:16:13:27:39 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 16 October, 2013 07:14

Hello,

Those of you who took a Wodehouse book could you please add some words.......

Clapton library’s review is here: [readinggroups.org]

Please share this amongst your reading group members and feel free to add comments!

Description: \\TRA01\RedirectedFolders\Dean.Redmond\Desktop\The Reading Agency CMYK.png

Posted by Chick 19 October, 2013 09:36

Greetings book clubbers,

Thanks to every one who came along last Wednesday, a big welcome to Sara. Our next book is “The Universe versus Alex Woods” by Gavin Extence.

A review is here; [www.theguardian.com]

It sounds quite good. For those who read the last Wodehouse book could you please go to this site and write some words about the book;

[readinggroups.org]

And once again thanks to the Clockhouse for hosting us.

Books have been ordered from Rye Books for me, Sheila & Alexia.

As for Wodehouse being a Nazi sympathiser here is a link:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

All the best and see you next month.

Chick.

Posted by Chick 20 October, 2013 08:00

Greetings again,

I have booked a table for ten at Si Mangia for Wednesday 11th December. Please let me know if you are coming and if you are bringing your partner. All welcome.

Last year I think we were nearer 20 and a very good night it was.

Chick.

[www.simangia.co.uk]

Posted by Chick 29 October, 2013 13:18

Important information about World Book Night's future Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Dear Chick,

We’re very proud to announce that later this year World Book Night will be becoming part of The Reading Agency, the UK charity with a mission to give everyone an equal chance to become a reader. We're also very excited to announce plans for World Book Night 2014.

Read on to find out:
About World Book Night 2014
Why we've joined The Reading Agency
How it affects you and your data

We hope you’ll share our excitement in this next chapter for World Book Night and we look forward to celebrating with you on April 23.

Best wishes,

World Book Night and The Reading Agency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Book Night 2014
World Book Night will be celebrated on April 23 2014. On November 23 we will announce the World Book Night titles and open the application process to be a book giver. But this year will be a little different and for the first time there are two ways to volunteer to take part.

As in previous years we're aiming to reach the 35.2% of adults in this country who don't regularly read via a network of book givers who'll sign up to give copies of one of 20 specially chosen and produced books. We're looking specifically for individuals or institutions who can demonstrably reach these people.

In addition, for the first time, we're looking to build a true army of book-loving volunteers. We want everyone who wants to take part in World Book Night to have a chance to participate, so we're introducing a new way of volunteering. All we're asking is for volunteers to commit to give at least one book to someone who doesn't regularly read on April 23. It can be any book, bought specially or taken from your shelves, but we'll be providing lots of guidance and resources (including stickers and book plates to explain that the book is part of World Book Night). And of course if you can and want to give more than one book, then that's great. We're setting our sights high and by 2017 we hope there'll be 100,000 World Book Night volunteers across the UK and Ireland – and that you'll be one of them.

Read more information on both volunteering opportunities

Read the FAQs including how we're choosing this year's books

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is World Book Night joining The Reading Agency?

Since World Book Night started three years ago as an independent charity, we have always worked with partners to make World Book Night happen. The Reading Agency was a founding partner, and has worked very closely with World Book Night each year. Joining formally with The Reading Agency is a natural progression for World Book Night that will allow us to continue to celebrate books and reading in our local communities and to put books into the hands of the third of adults in the UK who don’t read.

Read the full press release

Find out more about The Reading Agency

How this affects you and your data
As you have previously registered with World Book Night, this email is to inform you that, subject to final agreement, after November 22 all personal information held by World Book Night about you will be transferred to The Reading Agency to enable them to continue to run World Book Night. The Reading Agency has exciting plans for developing World Book Night over the coming years in order to enhance the aims and objectives of promoting reading to the 35.2% of people who don't read. The Reading Agency will abide by the current World Book Night terms and conditions and privacy policy, and will inform you before making any changes to these conditions, giving you the opportunity to opt out if you wish.

If you are happy with your data being transferred to The Reading Agency, you do not need to do anything.

If you do not want your data to transfer to The Reading Agency, please unsubscribe before November 22.

This is a very exciting time for World Book Night – thank you for being part of it.

follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend
Copyright © 2013 World Book Night Ltd, All rights reserved.
We're sending you this email because you have previously been a giver or signed up at our website
Our mailing address is:

World Book Night Ltd
c/o Publishers Association
29B Montague Street
London, England WC2B 5BW
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences

Posted by Chick 12 November, 2013 07:14

Greetings,

Just a reminder that we are meeting this Wednesday at 8.00pm in the Clockhouse.

Are there any more takers for the December meal?

Do you want to do a Bookclub recording with the BBC in January at Broadcasting house?

We would have to read the book and ask one question. The recording is on January 20th. The book is "The Slap".

[www.theguardian.com]

See you tomorrow.

Leah, can you confirm that you received this email pls.

Cheers

Chick

Posted by Chick 14 November, 2013 14:55

Greetings and thanks to everyone who came along last night. An interesting and lively discussion.

Our next book is slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Our next meeting is 11th December in Si Mangia at 8.00pm for our end of year meal.

[www.simangia.co.uk]

I'll write more over the weekend.

Hoots & haggis.

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2013:11:14:15:04:25 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 25 November, 2013 13:22

Sara can you ring me please have sent you an email & PM. I have place on the radio 4 bookclub recording in January and need to confirm.

Posted by Chick 03 December, 2013 20:25

Dear book clubbers,

So far I have the following confirmed for the meal at Si Mangia on 11th December.

If I have missed any one would you let me know please, and if any one else wants to come please let me know asap.

Thanks,

Chick.

Leah & Johan, Sarah, Sheila,

Helen, Satish, Jacinda, Alexia, Nicki, Sara,

Austin, me, Megan, Vicky, Moonie & Jessie.

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2013:12:03:20:29:11 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 19 December, 2013 18:08

Dear Book clubbers,

Many thanks to all who came to our end year meal, and Jessie especially for making it out having just had a baby.

Our next meeting is Wednesday 8th January at the Clockhouse in the upstairs Blake room.

Our chosen book is The Slap by Christos Tsiolakias, or you can carry on with Slaughterhouse 5, we didn’t really get an opportunity to discuss. I also have more PG Wodehouse books if you want a copy please let me know.

[www.theguardian.com]

Best wishes,

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2013:12:19:18:44:03 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 01 January, 2014 10:21

Happy new year. Eight days to go, anyone reading?

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by Chick 03 January, 2014 09:48

Those of you coming to R4 book club can I have some questions before or around the 10th January please? Thanks.

Posted by Chick 07 January, 2014 15:18

See you all on Wednesday.

Posted by Chick 12 January, 2014 12:43

Greetings,

Thanks to everyone who came to another good meeting last week. Our next book is Water Line by Ross Raison.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Our next meeting is Wednesday 5th February in the Blake room upstairs at the Clockhouse.

Look forward to seeing you.

Chick

Posted by badger 12 January, 2014 22:37

New events added:

- Bletchley Park
- Imperial War Museum
- Nunhead cemetery walk
- details of the February book club

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by Chick 19 January, 2014 20:26

To those of coming to R4 tomorrow, looking forward to it immensely. And beers after. Meet at Broadcasting house in Portland Place, just north of Oxford Circus tube station, at 5.15pm.

Posted by Chick 25 January, 2014 08:09

Interesting show at radio 4, will be broadcast in May & I will let everyone know the date. See you all on the 5th then off to Canada to freeze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2014:01:25:09:58:58 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 03 February, 2014 13:55

See you all on Wednesday.

Posted by Cazifer 05 February, 2014 18:14

Hi I meant to message before but am new to book club so will pop along tonight. Assuming 8pm kick off. Caroline

Posted by Chick 05 February, 2014 18:54

Cazifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi I meant to message before but am new to book
> club so will pop along tonight. Assuming 8pm kick
> off. Caroline

Ok look forward to meeting you.

Posted by Chick 06 February, 2014 10:18

Dear book clubbers,

Thanks to every one who came for a very good meeting last night.

The next book is the Rosie Project by Graham Simsion and the next meeting is on Thursday 13th March at the Clockhouse.

Alaistair can you order four copies for Caroline, Sarah, Sara & Nicky.

Many thanks

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2014:02:06:10:19:48 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 22 February, 2014 17:14

Those of you who are interested in doing the Radio 4 book club recording at Broadcasting House I have the following dates: April 22, May 20 or May 27th. No details yet about books etc but hope to get more info soon.

Can you please let me know if you are interested in coming as I have to submit names etc.

Haggis & totties.

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by Chick 08 March, 2014 11:12

Greetings book clubbers,

Just a reminder that we are meeting next Thursday in the Clockhouse at 8.00pm in the downstairs snug area.

We have been accepted as book giver for World Book night again so we can discuss our options.

Look forward to seeing you.

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by Chick 12 March, 2014 17:40

Just to say the meeting is tomorrow.

Posted by Chick 19 March, 2014 06:34

Greetings and thanks to every one who came to our last meeting. The next book is A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore and the next meeting is on Wednesday 16th April not the 9th at the Clockhouse again, a brief description is here:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Jessie I was still laughing the next day from your story.

Sorry to be so brief but I am very busy. Jacinda I will email you the book for R4 and email every one details of World Book Night, there has been a necessary change of venue.

PS from the BBC:

Just to let you all know that the book we’ll be discussing with Lorrie Moore is
Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?
Many thanks
Dymphna

--------------------
Chick.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2014:03:19:06:35:44 by Chick.

Posted by Chick 29 March, 2014 08:37

Are there any more interested in the BBC R4 book club?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 19

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum