2007 BMC Trailfox 01 ?550

2007 BMC Trailfox 01 ?550

BMC Trailfox '01 - custom built, full suspension XC bike

The Trailfox 01 sits at the top of BMC's lightweight full suspension range and offers 120mm of rear wheel travel from a DT Swiss air shock. Like every BMC full susser, the 01 uses a Fourstroke VPS (Virtual Pivot System) suspension design - what this means is that essentially, the rear triangle floats behind the mainframe on short, stout linkages that get the very best from both shock and overall design. The aluminium chainstays, carbon seatstays and variously shaped tubed, cast and meticulously machined sections are all created to extract maximum advantage - high strength and torsional rigidity - from minimum weight. It received a very positive review from BikeRadar, which was what initially inspired me to invest in it, and I have always been happy with it.

I commissioned this bike to be put together while I was a student up in Edinburgh. However (stupid as I am), I spent all my time studying and not enough time riding! The bike lived indoors its whole life, and was therefore meticulously cleaned after each ride (otherwise the girlfriend wouldn't let it in the house!).

The frame was imported from America, and so is pretty rare in the UK. I've certainly never seen another one like it. In terms of size, I am around 5ft 6' - I have been told that the bike is a suitable fit, but that it would be better suited to someone closer to 5ft 8' or 5ft 9'. The frame is a 17, but you would need to test ride it to make sure it works for you.

In terms of components, I really maxed-out my student budget to pay for this bike!

-Marzocchi XC700 ATA forkwith 140mm adjustable travel - RRP ?550 (received 4/5 star review from BikeRadar)

- Hope Mono Mini PRO brakes - very lightweight and ideal for x-country/trails (4/5 on BikeRadar review, RRP ?160 each)

- DT Swiss hubs/spokes/rims - all smooth/true and looking good

- Panracer tyres (Panracer Fire XC-Pro on the back)

- Hope stem

- Shimano XT drivetrain

The bike really is fantastic and I wouldn't be parting with it if I didn't need the money for another project. It has never put a foot wrong, and it climbs like a mountain goat!

Price can be dropped by ?50 if you aren't wanting the flat pedals and the old Specialized gel toupe saddle.

Test rides welcome :)

Archived