MCC Lords cricket bench - collector's item

Effra

Expressions of interest are sought for a much coveted item of cricketing memorabilia.

This is a 3 seater a Victorian era wrought iron and wood bench that came from Lords cricket ground pavilion. It is is the final stages of renovation and has all the original metal and wood components. Just think how many famous bums have sat on it over almost nine decades!

These are exceedingly rare and would make a valuable acquisition or gift for a dedicated cricketing enthusiast.

It may offered via one of the established auction houses but because if their exorbitant fees for both buyer and seller, I would prefer to sell it privately.

This size and style of bench was made specially for the MCC by Wrinch and Sons of Ipswich. The triple curve on the back rest is the key indicator as this was unique to the MCC. Documentation to confirm provenance is difficult because they were not sold off by MCC.

Instead, they had a ballot for the members only and the lucky few were allocated a bench at which point the member was "encouraged" to make a donation to the MCC Foundation charity. So no invoices or similar.

The authenticity can be verified by the unique features as many members may recall eg profile of the horizontal slats, the wrought iron work and the size. The authenticity and the fact it has not been adulterated is borne out by the fact that the bolts are the original 3/8" B.S. Whitworth and the nuts are the square type which have been unavailable for years. A non-genuine one would have 8mm metric.

Don't worry, it's the real deal. It even has the little dings and dents it collected over the years.

Attached is a detail of the wrought iron.

@Sazzle30 The pics in HamHigh are of the new ones.

There are some other pics of what are supposed to be cricket benches online and they are similar to the one advertised:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hansons/catalogue-id-hanson10171/lot-39dd2a97-96a2-4936-82f6-a9dd00037c39

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Lords-Cricket-Ground-Mound-Stand-Bench-/293683389459

For people who are interested in the different types, the Mound stand benches had one very significant feature (or lack of it).

They all had very short "legs" i.e. the wrought iron supports were much shallower because the mound, being on a slope was tiered in steps of about 8" high. Consequently, when these were disposed of by the MCC the lucky recipients had to make extensions so that they were at a suitable height for use on level ground. Some made the extensions out of wood but many decided to have a wrought iron piece attached. Some were positioned on top of concrete plinths.

An image search on Google for "MCC Lords mound bench" reveals more of them.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lords+mound+stand+bench&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=z2Y7GTW23t8eFM%252CRXyXfDnUUIu6XM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTZfHDYklRS2XG3yboIBQS5vLzg5g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjopt_vq_DrAhXyQUEAHfZdBDEQ9QF6BAgKECQ#imgrc=z2Y7GTW23t8eFM

Pavilion benches such as mine had proper length legs.

Here is a "Mound" bench..

Archived